Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drivers....why do you pick up slugs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 11:50am
Because I like having something to complain about.

Seriously, my schedule does not allow me fixed hours, and I frequently (with no notice) have to work late (after the last bus or VRE). Thus I must have my own ride home.

If my schedule were such that I could report to work 10:00-7:00, I wouldn't bother with the slug lines at all. Since it does not, the only way for me to get to the Pentagon in a reasonable time-frame is to drive my car and pick up slugs, ride my motorcycle, or consider buying a Hybrid (and no, the auto manufacturers are not going to allow the exemption to expire).

In any event, I like many others, came out here for the big check and steady work, but found it necessary to move to Freddiesburg and points south to afford the house we wanted.

In short, KC, I have little choice.
msticaries View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msticaries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 11:55am
I was part of a van pool: The person driving was alway 1/2 hour to 45 minutes late in the evening EVERY night, and standing out in the elements (when it's really cold or hot) waiting really bit the big one. Of course if you were 5 minutes late in the morning they left you high and dry.

the train, there are NO parking places left (especially since I am a spotsy resident can't park in certain lots) by the time I would need to catch the train, and that is at 6:00 a.m. to get to work by 8:00 a.m. and then I have to switch to metro to get to the office.

bus, I have taken them too only to break down on the highway.

so I drive or slug. I can come and go at my pace and not have to worry about anyone else's schedule.

SuzAnne View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuzAnne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 11:57am
As a slug or "informal, impromptu car-pooler" driver, I am able to use the guaranteed ride -- and am registered for it -- just as I would be if in a van/car pool.

Suzan
SuzAnne View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuzAnne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 12:04pm
quote:
Originally posted by 122582
[br]Because I like having something ...

a Hybrid (and no, the auto manufacturers are not going to allow the exemption to expire)...

I have little choice.

122582!

You will have less choice in a short time and should join the ANTI-HOT folks now.

Read the HOT proposal. Hybrids are welcomed, so long as they pay the toll. In California, on the SR-91 HOT, the TOLL is 77 and 1/2 cents per mile.

SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 12:44pm
Like a conversational black hole, or Brittany Spears' navel, all thoughts and eyes eventually return to the toll road menace.

Are you ready to join us the evening of September 14 for the LAST time you will be allowed to make a public comment on the sale of the region's most important roadway?

PLEASE put it on your calendar NOW, and don't let anything interfere.

Remember: this proposal is for the NEXT SIXTY YEARS!

Can you spare one evening to fight it?
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 1:08pm
Ok, so from what I gather from the majority is that those that drive slugs everyday, do it because either (a) their work schedules don't allow them to commit to a vanpool/carpool, or (b) they like the convenience of having their vehicles at their disposal.

That's fine and dandy. Thank you for answering, you answered my question.

As SpongeBob also pointed out, it seems most everyone on this board is opposed to the HOT lanes which is funny because that brings me to the whole point of this thread in the first place.

A lot of you drivers are willing to pay a premium for convenience. You pay thousands a year that you don't need to just because you like/need to have you car at the ready. But in reality, you are paying for convenience.

Why is it that you get to pay for convenience, but are opposed to others being able to pay for convenience? Convenience in the form paying to use the HOT lanes. It seems pretty selfish to me? Who are you to get to decide what other people are willing to pay for the same convenience?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see the HOT lanes come to fruition either. Luckily, I am outta here as soon as my wife retires in 3 years so hopefully I won't have to.
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 1:16pm
KC,

The answer to your question is simple. Because allowing others to pay for convenience would not only kill the system of slugging, but would also then create personal inconvenience for us slugs and further congestion on the I-95 corridor.

KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 1:27pm
So, selfishness is your answer?
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 1:37pm
KC,
Check out my earlier post where I said I'd still pick up slugs when HOT became a reality, assuming of course the slugs paid the toll. Only fair since it would be my car, my gas, my aggravation.

Do you remember how many people blasted my statement?

Slugs want a free ride. That is the major resistance to HOT.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 2:03pm
Right, you're out of here in a couple of years so whether HOT becomes a reality or not that's not your problem. Talking about selfisness...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic