Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drivers....why do you pick up slugs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 2:06pm
Emancella, can you please explain to me how moving away from DC in a few years is being selfish? Thank you.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 2:11pm
Actually, more people moving away (for whatever reason) defeats the HOT proposal to some extent as fewer people/vehicles=less $$. I can dream can't I?

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 3:50pm
I'd be willing to fight HOT - but only if the hybrid exemption were extended. I'm with you, KC - slugs have the mindset of "I've got mine, to heck with you." HOT is the great equalizer for those willing to pay for speed.

By the way, HOV lanes are zipping along EVEN WITH hybrids in them. The anti-hybrid sentiment by slugs has turned me into a HOT fanantic.
EnufisEnuf View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnufisEnuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 4:33pm
You guys sure like to argue and start pointless fights. Who cares? HOT will be bad but not a lot we can do about it. Hopefully the hybrid exemption will end as there are just too many on the roads right now. Things are perfect but they work right now. No sense arguing about pointless things.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 7:14am
quote:
Originally posted by EnufisEnuf
[br] Hopefully the hybrid exemption will end as there are just too many on the roads right now. Things are perfect but they work right now. No sense arguing about pointless things.

Actually, not so. Things are FAR less than perfect for the regular lanes and the folks trying to commute there. VDOT needs to come up with an overall transportation plan, and HOV the way it is now is obviously not the answer. Hybrid exemption is clearly a step in the right direction to balance the congestion, but when that goes, the only short term solution is the HOT.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 7:21am
There ARE people sitting in the mainlines who COULD go out of their way a little bit to pick up slugs AND get some of the diminishing benefits of HOV. A large majority are just unwilling to turn loose of some of their own self-driven interests.

I know people (and am one) who pick up slugs, drive out of their way to drop them off, so they (I) can enjoy a little less time spent on the commute.

Hybrids do better (in MORE aspects) when operating on battery power. Put them back in the mainline if they're < HOV +. Then they can enjoy the increased fuel efficiency and help reduce emissions by running on batteries.

NoSb

NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 7:32am
quote:
Originally posted by N_or_S_bound
[br]There ARE people sitting in the mainlines who COULD go out of their way a little bit to pick up slugs AND get some of the diminishing benefits of HOV. A large majority are just unwilling to turn loose of some of their own self-driven interests.

Hybrids do better (in MORE aspects) when operating on battery power. Put them back in the mainline if they're < HOV +. Then they can enjoy the increased fuel efficiency and help reduce emissions by running on batteries.

Same old (tired) arguement. As KC puts it so well, it's all about selfishness, it's just the degree. It would be a FAR, FAR better planet if the HOV lanes were changed to hybrid only lanes, don't you think? Eventually we'd get rid of those less efficient vehicles and be able to go back to HOV.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 7:42am
Tired? Truth is truth and the truth hurts. Easy to try to evade the main points being made by taking a rabbit trail.

Now, you did offer what most reasonable people are looking for though, use that hybrid to HOV. If it's HOV3, have 3 people in the vehicle. Your own words trap you. If you're carrying less than the requisite numbers, then do YOU really care about a "FAR, FAR better planet"?

NoSb

NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 10:17am
NoSB - buy a hybrid, then your words have credibility.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 10:37am
NoSUV,

Funny. I'm a late-adopter. Prove it first in both promise and performance, then I buy. Yeah, that's selfish, eh? I call it wise.

Did you own Beta or VHS when they were both available?

NoSb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic