Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drivers....why do you pick up slugs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drivers....why do you pick up slugs?
    Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 8:07am
I know, I know.....to drive in the HOV lane, duh! Let me be more specific.

Drivers who pick-up slugs on a DAILY basis as you regular commuting routine, why do you do it?

There are better options out there. Let's say for example that you commute from Fredericksburg daily. That's about 120 miles a day on your car (600 miles a week, 2500 miles a month, 30,000 miles a year). That's filling up your gas tank about 2 times a week. That's paying $200+ parking a month. That means your monthly commute is approx. $425 a month. That amount only takes into consideration parking and gas (gas figured at 2500 miles, 25mpg, $2.25 per gallon). This does not even include how much more often you have to have your car serviced, the massive depreciation your car is taking by putting 30k miles a year on it, higher insurance costs, etc...

I understand why some people prefer not to take the VRE, it takes forever. But why not carpool or vanpool? Both are faster than driving and picking up slugs.

Carpool - Split the cost of commuting 4 ways, you drive every 4th day, you put only 7500 miles on your car a year commuting, pay maybe $50 a month for parking, save a ton in gas money. All in all, you'll probably save about $320 a month...that's almost 4k a year.

Vanpool - You never have to drive, you only put about 25 miles on your car a WEEK if you live close to a commuter lot, pay nothing for parking. Cost is only in the $140-160 range. This could also save you hundreds a month...thousands a year.

So everyday drivers...why do you choose to pick up slugs. Seriously, I'm just curious. There must be a good reason that you don't want to save thousands a year in commuting costs...let's hear it.

shahedC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shahedC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 8:14am
Various reasons:

When I drive, I do it because:
- I have plans to hang out in the city after work.
- I know I'll be working late, and I need a way to get home at night.... without walking to the Metro, waiting for a train, then taking the train, and then waiting for a bus, then taking the bus back to my commuter lot, then driving home.
- I have appointments in the morning or afternoon that is not within walking distance and cannot be accessed by Metro.

And I pick up slugs because it's the quickest way to get into the city when driving to DC during rush hour.

There are other people who drive because:
- they need their car in case of emergency (e.g. old parent who might need instant attention any time of day)
- they have to drop off / pick up their child from day care
- their company pays for parking and maybe even subsidizes gas costs
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 8:23am
Well, as I said, I understand why people pick up slugs occasionally, but I was just referring to people who do it everyday.

Regarding your 3 reasons why other people drive:

- There is a guaranteed ride home program that will get you home for free in case of an emergency
- I drop-off and pick-up kids from day care and still am able to carpool/vanpool, as I said before...it is quicker than picking up slugs. So if you can dropoff/pick up kids at daycare while you drive via slug line...there is no reason why that would prevent you for carpooling/vanpooling
- Even if company paid for parking and gas....that's still 30k miles a year on your car. High maintence costs, car only lasting a few year

None of those reasons seem like a reason to not carpool/vanpool to me.

Anyone else?
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 8:51am
There's no comparison between having your car ready for you than a guaranteed ride home program.
What if I need to do various errands before I get home?
What if you need to pick-up your kids an hour or 20min. before you get off from work? Are they going to be able to get off from work early too?
I've tried vanpooling and I'd do it again only when necessary.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 8:53am
My parking is paid for. If it wasn't, I would be a slug myself.
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 8:59am
quote:
Originally posted by emancilla
[br]
What if I need to do various errands before I get home?

Then you drive on the day you need to run errands.

quote:
What if you need to pick-up your kids an hour or 20min. before you get off from work?

If you have to pick up your kids an hour and 20 min. BEFORE you get off from work...you're in a pickle no matter how you got to work.

So basically, you are saying you pick up slugs because you are willing to spend thousands more a month just in case of a couple "what ifs". That's cool. Surely there must be people with better reasons than that?
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 8:59am
Your making an often false assumption that many of us that drive have to pay to park. I for one either don't have to pay, or it is fully reimbursed as well as alot of my gas money as well.

For me it saves time, and cost no more than VRE or Vanpooling, and I have tried all alternatives.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 9:04am
Maybe I forgot to say, What if, in any given day, you are in need to pick-up your kids an hour or 20min. before you get off from work...

Oh, and for "you drive the day you need to do errands", maybe I wasn't clear enough. I should have said, What if in a case of emergency, you also need to stop to the farmacy, pick-up something you will need at home for the emergency, etc...
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 9:05am
As I said, even if you don't have to pay to park, you are still spending $225 a month in gas (less if it is also reimbursed), 30k miles a year on your car, paying higher maintenance costs, taking on serious car depreciation, paying higher insurance costs, etc...

And how does picking up slugs save you time over carpooling or vanpooling?
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 9:08am
quote:
Originally posted by emancilla
[br]Maybe I forgot to say, What if, in any given day, you are in need to pick-up your kids an hour or 20min. before you get off from work...

Are you saying that you wouldn't know how to get home if you had to leave early??? I don't understand. There is a taxi (which is free with the guaranteed ride home program), there is VRE. It's not rocket science. Personally, I've never had to find an alternate way home. Maybe I'm just lucky I don't have sickly children??

quote:

Oh, and for "you drive the day you need to do errands", maybe I wasn't clear enough. I should have said, What if in a case of emergency, you also need to stop to the farmacy, pick-up something you will need at home for the emergency, etc...

Well, nothing said you had to go straight home from the commuter lot. Once you get back in your car, you are free to do as you will, I assume.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic