Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time to start tipping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 24>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 9:36pm
quote:
Originally posted by Rosebud
[br]<>

Give me 10 bucks and I'll sing to you.

<>

[:D]Would you consider $15 for NOT singing?[}:)]

dickboyd@aol.com
AZ Man View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2005 at 6:32pm
Drivers need SLUGS and SLUGS need drivers. If you want people to pay, form a carpool (someone posted that back towards the beginning), I do and they pay an amount for each way and they SLUG during my vacation time. Carpool allows payment on an agreed amount, everyone wins in that situation. SLUGS shouldn't have to pay, they offer a service to give us drivers HOV rights, that's the payoff right there. 40 extra minutes riding by yourself in the regular lanes equal to how much gas? I do NOT want to be driving all this time and then decide to SLUG and see a "tip" jar in the car that makes me feel obligated to pay for a service that we both benefit from, that's rude and uncalled for. Same thing for SLUGs getting in a car and "expect" some form of service to be 100% comfortable and think it's their own office.

If you charge or ask for "tips" then the SLUGS should receive "rights" to your vehicle, adjust temp control, windows, seats, use cell phones, eat, etc... YOU become a "commercial" vehicle, etc, etc, etc.... 122, I appreciate the service you provide SLUGS but you MUST appreciate the service SLUGS provides you and if you really are digusted with the price of gas, get your carpool going, ask people to form one, it'll work out better for you. I've been MORE than pleased with mine.

From another viewpoint, the only time a "tip" would be taken by me or should be offered by SLUG is when their picked up before/after HOV time starts, i.e., SLUGs are in the Rt 3 line starting before 0430 expecting to be picked-up and HOV pick-up time their is usually around 0515-0530 but that's the only time I'd take money from SLUGS. I've received money for picking up SLUGS when I worked late and dropped people off at the 610 on the way home after HOV times (normally not many people waiving a sign for Rt 3 after HOV times have expired) because I'm the only one providing the service and, at this point, I would ask for money as well (before they got in the car).
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2005 at 7:40pm
quote:
Originally posted by AZ Man
[br]<<>>I would ask for money as well (before they got in the car).

Taking money for a slug ride is tricky when you consider liability insurance. Taking ANY money is considered COMMERCIAL service on MOST policies. Accepting nominal costs is allowed on SOME policies. If you do talk to your insurance agent regarding how much you can accept and under what conditions there are some things to expect.

Cost of automobile operation is about 60 cents a mile. Half is depreciation, maintenance and parking fees. One-quarter is gasoline and one-quarter is insurance (roughly). If your private automobile insurer allows you to accept "gratuities", don't expect to take more than the one-quarter (15 cents a mile). On a nominal 20 mile commute, the most you could accept without jeopradizing your insurance is $3. One dollar from each of the three slugs. Some insurance companies may be willing to allow pro rata acceptance up to what IRS allows for mileage (35 cents a mile??).

On the other hand, most insurance companies will discount your policy if you drive fewer miles. For instance in a car pool in which you drive only one day in five. In that sense, insurance rates encourage car pools.

Van pools will be covered by commercial policies. Even at that, the Shirley corridor vans are overcharged for insurance, in my opinion. There is no crash history on which to base a premium rate. The statistics just aren't there for a protected free flow commute. The only fatality I know of on the reversible lanes involve a State Trooper and a bus.

Has anyone ever seen a fender bender involving commuters on the reversible lanes? Does anyone have knowledge of a crash on the reversible lanes which required payment by an insurance company?

If any of you should get so motivated to speak at public meetings or talk to your human resources, some employers consider the commute of their employees in van pool as part of the employees duties. As such, part of the liability is covered under workman's compensation. This coverage is more common in companies that have satellite offices. My understanding is that federal employees cannot claim federal insurance for commuting crashes until private insurance is exhausted. In some places, as Oak Ridge National Labs, the employees get around this commuting exclusion by forming some type of corporate body for the purposes of transportation. Much as some federal employees form parking associations to negotiate better parking rates.

Patronize slug-lines.com advertisers, read the classifieds. Advertise in the classifieds.

dickboyd@aol.com
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2005 at 3:50am
Accidents happen in HOV too. I was rear ended by a certain type of Honda Civic before.
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2005 at 10:34am
My insurance company does not require additional coverage for running a carpool, which is what slugging really is. (drivers, do you have enough coverage?)

I incur the same liabilities whether I haul slugs for free, or whether they contribute a "tip" for gas money. Nice try Dick, but there are absolutely no legal considerations when accepting help with gas from a carpooler (slug).

To make slugging work there need to be more drivers than there are right now.

Don't be a bottomfeeder, tip your driver today.
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 2:08am
Bottomfeeder? That refers to a shark who preys on unwilling victims. That is so far removed from the truth. Why don't you go to work for Flouer? You are the bottom feeder here. You incessantly attack your fellow man, you lie (as in I drive a Harley alot while purportedly collecting tips from slugs) and you grossly understate the value of time slugs save you (oh yeah you only save 20 minutes from fredericksburg round trip). Anyone who watches your posts know that you want to be a hybrid driver and go it alone. Go for it dude. Quite frankly, any slug who recognized you for being the goof you are would choose not to ride with you. I asked you about this before, you said 122582 was your license plate. Yeah right, VA allows that. You said you drive an audi, white, but yet later you said a truck and then a harley? Lets face it, you are here to cause trouble for the slugs and nothing else. You did a good job. Collect your Flouer check and be gone...
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 7:33am
MrSlug, I mean MrBottomFeeder,
I do own an Audi, a Dodge Ram, and a Harley. I reiterate just to keep your feeble mind straight.

Yes, I have been riding the Hog a lot lately, as well as driving my other two vehicles.

To fourther demonstrate your feebleness of mind, my previous post said slugging save me 40 minutes per day, not 20 minutes round trip.

I suggest you and your bottom feeding contemporaries not come here any more to whine about the wait, the AC, the cars, the speed, etc.

You are the type of slug I refer to when I say bottom feeder - an ingorant, whining moron who can't get his or her facts straight.

BTW, $3.00 this morning. Not all slugs are bottom feeders, but this forum seems to attract them.
I

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 9:15am
quote:
Originally posted by 122582
[br]MrSlug, I mean MrBottomFeeder,
I do own an Audi, a Dodge Ram, and a Harley. I reiterate just to keep your feeble mind straight.

Yes, I have been riding the Hog a lot lately, as well as driving my other two vehicles.

To fourther demonstrate your feebleness of mind, my previous post said slugging save me 40 minutes per day, not 20 minutes round trip.

I suggest you and your bottom feeding contemporaries not come here any more to whine about the wait, the AC, the cars, the speed, etc.

You are the type of slug I refer to when I say bottom feeder - an ingorant, whining moron who can't get his or her facts straight.

BTW, $3.00 this morning. Not all slugs are bottom feeders, but this forum seems to attract them.
I

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!

yea, and I gave $1.00 to a beggar on the street today in your honor. I think you have missed your calling.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
bbb View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 12:06pm
Riders - I bet if you held up a sign that you will tip a driver, you will get picked up sooner than the people ahead of you in line! [:I]
Max_28756 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max_28756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 2:18pm
We're going down a path few want to follow. SLUGing is free. Next, charge SLUGs to ride. Next, charge everyone to ride in HOV. Next, SLUGing, carpooling, bus services gone due to overcrowded HOV (oops, I mean HOT) lanes.
You have the right not to pick up SLUGs. You have the right not to drive to save gas. Don't think you have the right to charge me for your choice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 24>
  Share Topic