Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time to start tipping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 24>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 4:32pm
mroyal - thanks. Same site I gave to Dick Boyd when he asked my reference, except I gave him the exact page and the source quoted by the author (VA Highway Bulletin July '74).
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 3:30pm
I posted this link in another thread. It supports some (but not all) of Dick Boyd assertations.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com/Shirley_Highway.html

Oh Brave New World, that has such creatures in it as Homer Simpson!

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 3:14pm
Sponge, you are likely correct. It begs the question, though, about the rest of the cost of the trip, and if the new economic picture will include that as well.

DicK Boyd, once upon a time you asked me my source for pre-1974 use of Shirley Highway. Other than your awesome memory, do you have a source for your assertations?
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 3:04pm
If every car is charged to use the road, we will probably come to a new economic model where the tolls are shared by the driver and riders. Slugs to the Pentagon may pay $2-3 for their ride (laid against the +$9 that the driver is charged on their Smarttag). The driver thus pays only $3-5. This is the incentive to rideshare.

The top limit on "slug fees" would be the cost of a bus token. Slug fees would need to be less than that.

This is the future. Go look back a year ago when I started a thread asking "Slugging: What is it worth to you?"

(Answer at the time was: I Ain't a-Payin' fer Nuthin'!!!)

Oh Brave New World, that has such creatures in it as Pierce Homer!
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 2:28pm
quote:
Originally posted by AveMaria
[br]Why would a person pick up slugs AND pay HOT fee?

They wouldn't.
AveMaria View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AveMaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 2:11pm
Why would a person pick up slugs AND pay HOT fee?
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 2:04pm
quote:
Originally posted by 122582
[br]

Slugging was founded by drivers pulling up to the bus and train stops, stealing business from the bus companies and AMTRAK so they could use the HOV. Since drivers pioneered the system, it's only right that drivers should make the "rules".

Slugging founded by drivers pulling up to bus and train stops? Not in my recollection. The concept prior to slugging was known as hitchiking. Slugging started by drivers? Not as I remember. Riders were the ones that pushed for incentives to encourage ride sharing.

Construction of the Pentagon was probably the motivator for the existing form of slugging. Picking up passengers at bus stops was hardly considered "stealing" passengers until WMATA took over bus operations circa 1975. Private bus companies prior to that did not want to operate peaking systems.

Commuter buses were "bait". Get enough people to the business district without cars and you have a captive mid day ridership. In addition, the new people that moved to northern Virginia were more like one another then than now. Build up for the war effort brought a lot of career military officers together for the first time since the military acadamies. More of the people were the same age. Many shared lodging. There were even some labor pools in dormitories.

There was slugging long before the reversible lanes of Shirley Highway. Carpooling, be it casual or planned represented 35% of people commuting. I don't remember any commuter trains in that era. Buses and street cars represented maybe 10% of commuter traffic.

There was also gas rationing. There was also the attitude of driving alone was like driving with Hitler.

VRE got its passengers from ridesharing (carpool, vanpool, slug), not from the drive alones. In my opinion VRE made congestion worse, not better. In a certain aspect, VRE redirected the focus of making transportation decisions. Rather than have people decide to share the ride, the political message was that government would get someone else to ride VRE so every one else would be free to drive alone.

As to the cost of the automobile? What about the cost of the road?

Slugging founded by thieves? Hardly.

Patronize the advertisers at slug-lines.com

dickboyd@aol.com
ATH View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 2:03pm
I'm a little behind, but just had to respond because I haven't seen a response I've liked so much in a long time. Also like the way adjguy worded this. Love YOUR tip adjguy and totally agree.

quote:
Originally posted by adjguy
[br]Dont care for drivers asking for tips. Havent seen it yet, probably wont. I both drive and slug. Wont ask for a tip, wont pay a tip either. Heres a tip for the drivers asking for tips: Take the main lanes. Hows that for a tip.

A question though: For those drivers who requested money from slugs. Are the drivers asking for cash upfront?

If the slugger refuses to pay, what happens?

What about the other slugs out there who dont monitor this unofficial site? What are those sluggers going to say when drivers demant tips?

Just Curious.

PS
I have seen some posts of drivers threatening not to pick up slugs. What kind of threat is that? Take your threats into the main lines, there are plenty of drivers out there not demanding tips.

Mr. B View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 2:01pm
All this tipping nonsense is just that, NONSENSE!
GLACIER, your post was "PRICELESS". I'm still laughing after reading it.
Tupe View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 1:33pm
To 122582 - Tell the truth now - do you have any repeat sluggers?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 24>
  Share Topic