Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KATRINA'S IMPACT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 12:07pm
BTW, All 2005 model Ford Explorer's come standard equipped with flexible fuel engines that allow them to run on ethanol. If you work at the Pentagon and drive an Explorer, you may want to check out the Citgo by the Navy exchange. They sell ethanol.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 12:07pm
I agree Dhacim, I saw a man a wawa last night filling up about a dozen of those plastic gas cans, and piling them into the back of his minivan, kind of dangerous too!

:'}
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 12:05pm
quote:
Originally posted by stewart
[br]Wow...a newbie gets a compliment from an advanced member! :-)

The only problem with ethanol is the distribution of it. For instance, one reason Democratic Senators like California's Boxer and Feinstein are against mandating ethanol use is because it will cost an arm and a leg to get it over the Rockies to their state. No doubt ethanol and biodiesel are coming, just need some kinks in the distribution chain worked out.

Oops... and I was wrong about some parts of the SPR. Refineries in Texas are up and running and we do get some supply from them. Still...be wise and fill up sooner rather than later. Tennessee just reported more than 400 stations without product. Ouch!

Would not be a problem here in VA. I used to work at the Bowman liquor factory in my teens. My entire duties consisted of filling 55 gallon drums with pure ethanol (98.6% alcohol) for export to Russia.

For those of you that do not know, Bowmans is located on Route 2 in Fredericksburg. BTW for those of you filling gas cans, keep in mind you are creating a false demand and only helping to drive the prices further north. "Fear and Consumption" this is a case of that, plain as day.
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 11:58am
How cool!! Suffolk County!! Im goin home next weekend for a Christening, Tony's Pizza, Rt.112, how much ya got for a pie? Yes, we call them Pie's in the north!! ha..any who-

I donated to Petsmart, I forgot that not just people need help from this tragedy, but our 4 legged friends, if we dont take care of them who will?

(sorry for going off topic)

N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 11:29am
MG,

On the lighter side of things: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9156603/ They might get some quality time on one of these.

More seriously, yes, it's a tragic thing that's happened. Now the question is how to help them. We can buy a couple items and drive (burning fuel) down to some dropoff point and assuage our feelings. Or we could just cut a check or make a donation online (no gasoline burned here). But really to truly empathize with them involvement at a deeper level is necessary. Most suggestions in the media are for monetary donations. Some people have to respond physically. Whatever, one needs to be moved to compassion.

Now, as to this thread which is labelled "Katrina's Impact", how about the impact to the functions of the nation. This is going to have what looks to be a pretty significant effect on our immediate way of life, the economy will be influenced, your tax dollars will be spent, gas will be more expensive and potentially less available, material good transhipment will touch just about everyone to some extent.

The question would be: what do we do to minimize the overall impact now and plan for distributing future impacts due to events of this nature. This has tremendous potential to influence the global economy in addition to our own. The ripples will be felt on a larger scale, even though less severely than those in the LA/MS areas. What changes do you and I need to make in our life to reduce our consumption of items that may be in limited supply in the near future.

Or do we all just go about our daily lives as though nothing like this will ever happen again?

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
Route 17 Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Route 17 Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 11:15am
getmehome pweeze, SI (Dongan Hills area)! I miss it too but VA is great! Not for nothing, the pizza stinks. The mozzarella is not fresh and the sauce is not sauce! That's a whole other story...boy what I would be willing to pay for a decent pie....lol

Moody Girl, I am sure most if not all that post here have made donations to the relief efforts. Even though a few here seem to be so self absorbed, I think all of us here have compassion for those surrounded/affected by all the devastation and chaos.

Who knows, maybe we can talk 122582 into donating his $3 score from this morning....turd

quote:
Originally posted by getmehome pweeze
[br]Where you from Rt17?? I'm from LI!! Miss it, but love VA!! (except the pizza...)Gas was 2.99 for mid grade this morning- YECK!!!

Moody Girl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 10:37am
The increase in gas prices around here is a small price to pay considering all that our southern states have lost! [:(!] Or is everyone on this post so consumed with themselves that it really doesn't matter that there is a much bigger picture here?

These people have lost everything! Need I remind you, they have no cars to fill up with gas (not that they have any gas!), no homes, no clothes, no food, no clean water. They have lost everything they own and many of them have lost their lives. [V]

This was a catastrophic weather event and as much as you would like to blame the President, Mother Nature is the only one to blame. [:(]

So instead of feeling sorry for yourselves because you have to pay more at the pump. Go to your local grocery store, purchase some canned goods and bottled water and drive to the Donation Center in the Four-Mile Fork shopping center on Friday and do something positive. You never know, it might put things in perspective for you.

As far as saving money on fuel goes, pick up a couple of board games, a deck of cards, a few movies and some snacks and spend some quality time at home with your family this weekend. Nothing is more important than family. [:)]

flatulentsluggerhugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatulentsluggerhugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 8:37am
Stewart is correct. Gas station owners are raising their rates because they have to. They get their shipment in and it cost $.30 to $.40 cents more and they pass it off to us. It's not their fault. They get their instructions from the big oil companies. Since 90% of our supply comes from LA and MS we're really in for the long run. Gas stations only make a few cents on the dollar as profit from gasoline(less than $.10 to be exact)

I went out to get gas for the first time in a month last night and the lines are starting to form.

MY ADVICE, GET YOUR GAS TONIGHT BECAUSE THE LINES WILL REALLY START THIS WEEKEND!!!!!

VOTE HOT!!!! SO GAS PASSERS LIKE ME WON'T ANNOY YOU!!!

whoever smealt it dealt it!!!!
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 7:24am
Where you from Rt17?? I'm from LI!! Miss it, but love VA!! (except the pizza...)Gas was 2.99 for mid grade this morning- YECK!!!

N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 4:50pm
Stewart,

I don't judge by the number of stars, it's the quality of the post that counts. There's some "big star" folks who post buffoonery. There's some "no star" folks who do likewise.

Best to recognize a good quality post when there is one. Of course, that's me determining what I consider a "good quality post"....could be danger in taking my kudo too seriously...

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic