Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KATRINA'S IMPACT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 2:32pm
quote:
Originally posted by getmehome pweeze
[br]Our president has his and his daddy's greedy little paws in private oil, didnt ANYONE see Farenheight 9/11!!??? HE should be the one to get off his took-ASS and do SOMETHING for us,, instead of answering a question with a non sensical mumble and playing cowboy down in Texas
(sorry...pissed off at all this crap...)

:'}

Actually, he did. Today he released some of the national reserve. The result pushed gas prices downward.

Now, thank your President and qwit yer bitchin'!!
avalanche22 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanche22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 2:38pm
LOL... I guess it take a natural disaster before he would consider releasing some of the national reserves. But this topic is a stall mate.
cdatkins View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdatkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 2:39pm
quote:
Originally posted by avalanche22
[br]LOL. New Low. That's funny. I guess the increase in gas prices before the hurricane just happen on it's on. Yeah RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The pre-hurricane increase was largely due to a run-up in demand (largely due to China) and a supply capacity unable to meet this demand because of a lack of refining capacity.

For the record, the recent energy bill is a boondoggle and will do nothing to address the needed supply of oil.
flatulentsluggerhugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatulentsluggerhugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 2:45pm
Just because some oil is being tapped from the National Reserve DON'T expect prices to drop soon or alot.

ALSO, I DOESN'T MATTER WHO YOU VOTE FOR!!!!!!!! BIG BUSINESS REALLY RUNS THE COUNTRY FROM BEHIND THE SCENES!!!!!!! IF YOU FEEL THAT POLITICIANS ARE CROOKED(understatement of the year!!!!) THEN RUN FOR OFFICE!!!!!!!!!

VOTE HOT!!!! SO GAS PASSERS LIKE ME WON'T ANNOY YOU!!!

whoever smealt it dealt it!!!!
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 3:13pm
Why would they? This is all a price gaulging ploy to get everyone used to paying exorbitant prices for gas so that when they drop it to $2.10 we feel like we are getting a bargain....
stewart View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 3:31pm
I feel like I've got to step in to the debate here. I work for a certain segment of the petroleum industry. Releasing the SPR won't help us much because it is crude oil that still needs to be refined--and we get our refined product here from the gulf. It will help ease the shortages in the midwest since they have their own refineries. Also, although there are certain a**holes who have a certain place in hell, most of the gas station owners are not gouging. If they had product delivered last night, they most likely paid .30 cents more per gallon and are only passing along their costs. For today, if anyone is charging more than $3/gallon for regular, pass them by because they are gouging, but don't be surprised if that is "cheap" by Monday. If you need to direct your anger at anyone, the large refineries are the guys making the big bucks (although not now or for the forseeable future.) Also....a heads up....shortages are coming to Virginia fast. South Carolina has over 200 stations that have run out of product and Tennessee and at least double that many. The problem is quickly spreading northward...Virginia stations are already on strict allocations so it is predicted that some stations in the area will run out by Monday. Enjoy....
Route 17 Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Route 17 Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 3:50pm
No, some of us just take the time to know what's really going on. The Bush family values...just can't sink any lower....oil, crony capitalism and economic top 1% of Americans! yee haw!
My bad! My NY roots are showing! [:X]

quote:
Originally posted by cdatkins
[br]Wow. Blaming President Bush for hurricane-induced damage to our nation's oil and gas infrastructure. Congratulations on sinking to a new low.

N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 4:03pm
Stewart!

Great post. I agree that there are segments of the supply chain who are not gouging. Other points made above are somewhat relevant. It really doesn't matter if it's Repub, Dem, Indy, Libertarian, Bush 2, Kerry, Gore, Bush 1, Reagon, Johnson, Nixon, pick your flavor...it is about big companies. We as free choosing Americans need to think on our own (stop watching CNN/Fox) and think this through. We can CHOOSE other fuels which are proven and available. There are oil-producing countries using a 75% mix of ethanol with their petroleum-based fuel. Why? Because some people care about the environment I guess (I haven't found out why they use ethanol over their own home-grown oil). I think they're just downright smart.

We could have ethanol available, if we created the demand for it. It could be more affordable, if we created the demand for it. Our environment could be cleaner, if we created the demand for it.

Of course, it still wouldn't relieve the congestion, but maybe high gasoline prices will solve that side of the equation.

OH, I'm going to the gas station with all my fuel cans tonight to stock up! Hoarding isn't hoarding at this point is it?

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
stewart View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 4:23pm
Wow...a newbie gets a compliment from an advanced member! :-)

The only problem with ethanol is the distribution of it. For instance, one reason Democratic Senators like California's Boxer and Feinstein are against mandating ethanol use is because it will cost an arm and a leg to get it over the Rockies to their state. No doubt ethanol and biodiesel are coming, just need some kinks in the distribution chain worked out.

Oops... and I was wrong about some parts of the SPR. Refineries in Texas are up and running and we do get some supply from them. Still...be wise and fill up sooner rather than later. Tennessee just reported more than 400 stations without product. Ouch!

NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 4:37pm
A lot of this is about supply and demand. Much of the Energy Bill and our current crisis seems to be around the supply side. What has been missing is doing more about the demand side. Best way to help that in our area is ban all vehicles except busses and hybrids from Express (HOV) lanes. As soon as we get enough people with the more fuel efficient cars to clog the Express lanes, go back to HOV. Guarantee you that we will have a tremendous effect in our local area on the oil demand.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic