Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KATRINA'S IMPACT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 12:07pm
BTW, All 2005 model Ford Explorer's come standard equipped with flexible fuel engines that allow them to run on ethanol. If you work at the Pentagon and drive an Explorer, you may want to check out the Citgo by the Navy exchange. They sell ethanol.
cdatkins View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdatkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 12:28pm
quote:
Originally posted by Route 17 Slugger
[br]No, some of us just take the time to know what's really going on. The Bush family values...just can't sink any lower....oil, crony capitalism and economic top 1% of Americans! yee haw!
My bad! My NY roots are showing! [:X]

quote:
Originally posted by cdatkins
[br]Wow. Blaming President Bush for hurricane-induced damage to our nation's oil and gas infrastructure. Congratulations on sinking to a new low.

Then I can't wait to see your evidence for your assertions. I'll wait.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 12:31pm
dhacim,

Is that E10 or E85? For both the Explorer and what they sell at the NEX Citgo.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 12:50pm
It was my understanding that "flexible fuel vehicles" are not eligible for clean fuel plates in VA. Reason is there is no way to enforce usage of anything other than gasoline.
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 1:07pm
N or S Bound....E85 for both, and Bob you are indeed correct, because FFV run on any combination of gasoline and clean fuel.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 1:12pm
Bob, you are most astute! You've brought to the forefront the very issue which does show that our state legislature doesn't really have "best interests" at heart unless it's their own pockets being lined for their next election opportunity.

If CF plates mean "clean fuel", shouldn't the fuel that powers the vehicle be CLEANER than the predominant vehicles in use?

Yes, I understand FFVs burn both gasoline and ethanol (E85 which is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline). But what do the hybrids burn when the HOV is running free and clear?

Then of course, diesels can burn both diesel and biodiesel. How is one to know if the "cleaner" fuel is being used?

Ok, at highway speed we've already ascertained that hybrid gas-electrics are running solely on gas, so we know there is no benefit from them there as to CF criteria. At highway speeds (e.g. HOV lanes) for FFVs or diesels, the possibility of them burning a clean fuel is still existent.

Question: why do VA legislators allow hybrid gas-electrics in the HOV?

Doesn't take a genius to see this one, even from miles away, eh?

NoSb

NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 1:59pm
quote:
Originally posted by N_or_S_bound
[br]Bob, you are most astute! You've brought to the forefront the very issue which does show that our state legislature doesn't really have "best interests" at heart unless it's their own pockets being lined for their next election opportunity.

If CF plates mean "clean fuel", shouldn't the fuel that powers the vehicle be CLEANER than the predominant vehicles in use?

Yes, I understand FFVs burn both gasoline and ethanol (E85 which is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline). But what do the hybrids burn when the HOV is running free and clear?

Then of course, diesels can burn both diesel and biodiesel. How is one to know if the "cleaner" fuel is being used?

Ok, at highway speed we've already ascertained that hybrid gas-electrics are running solely on gas, so we know there is no benefit from them there as to CF criteria. At highway speeds (e.g. HOV lanes) for FFVs or diesels, the possibility of them burning a clean fuel is still existent.

Question: why do VA legislators allow hybrid gas-electrics in the HOV?

Doesn't take a genius to see this one, even from miles away, eh?

NoSb

NoSb - actually, you have errors with your facts. You are wrong in your assumption that at highway speeds, hybrids provide no benefit. The only way your statement would be accurate is if there was always increasing accelleration. During times of reduced accelleration (taking your foot off the gas pedal), the hybrid battery is charged, which is why at lower speeds, you don't need to use gas.

Thank goodness the VA legislature is smarter than you!
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 2:04pm
All vehicles run "cleaner" (e.g. burn less fuel) when we take our foot off the gas pedal. That fact is accurate.

Yeah, VA legislature smarter than me. Never disputed that, they get paid for selling their opinions as facts, I only submit mine for free for consideration of the educated among us.

NoSb

NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 2:05pm
quote:
Originally posted by N_or_S_bound
[br]All vehicles run "cleaner" (e.g. burn less fuel) when we take our foot off the gas pedal. That fact is accurate.

But not all vehicles charge the battery to the point where the battery can move the vehicle without using gas. Sheesh.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 2:10pm
Ok, this wasn't about bashing hybrids, hybrids only offered the "grounding point" from which to compare to truly beneficial alternatives in a lot more aspects.

Sorry you took it as hybrid bashing, that was not the intent. The real fact is that other true alternatives offer more promise on many fronts (2 I know of, reduced dependence on oil and cleaner environment) yet don't receive their just consideration before our "representatives".

What we get is vocational politicos, bought and paid for by big business, with little regard for where the true problems lay.

Take an objective stance please: hybrids aren't "bad" per se, other alternatives appear better, but don't get the support.

NoSb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic