Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KATRINA'S IMPACT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 10:32am
Originally posted by stewart
[br]
Originally posted by Route 17 Slugger
[br]cdadkins, Assertions??? You might want to do some research on the toxic Texan's many misleading and outright FALSE assertions and disastrous policies. Were you holding your breath for an explanation for those too? Didn't think so. This Administration does not enforce environmental laws that are in place. The energy bill that took 5 years to put together is a complete joke. Take a look at current and recent environmental legislatation do you purchase gas from ExxonMobil? sheesh. EDUCATE YOURSELF. Ask questions. Read a book or surf the web and read an article now and then. My assertions are based upon facts and from those facts I came to conclusions.

N_or_S_bound you are a kindred spirit to me. Thanks for your great posts.

Please educate YOURSELF on some of the facts. One small example: the "toxic Texan's" administration updated and suceeded in writing one of the most punative environmental regulations regarding gasoline and diesel storage tanks, i.e. terminals and bulk storage plants. (What a friend he is to the oil business!) Every previous adminstration since the rule first came out about 30 years ago conducted, oh maybe, a half-dozen inspection per year. Since 2001, EPA inspectors have conducted well over 100 inspections on storage facilities, resulting in several hundred thousand dollars in fines. Hmm...didn't find this particular fact out on the all-knowing "web"???

Granted....most on the liberal side of the aisle don't think the current administration is doing enough but give some credit where credit is due. Even I can say some good things about the Clinton years.

stewart View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 10:48am
Originally posted by N_or_S_bound
[br]Has anybody considered the last 10 days run-up in gas prices might be due to Labor Day opportunism instead of Katrina which could be a good excuse to "gouge" the public over one of the most heavily gas-consuming holidays?

I don't deny what happened in the Gulf. I just question the impact at this point. How do they really know production and distribution have been so heavily impacted.

I know there's folks familiar with the oil biz who read this site who might offer a more educated input than my suppositions.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

One reason for the run up in prices around both Memorial Day and Labor Day is due to federal environmental regulations. During the summer months, EPA requires over 40 different fuel blends across the U.S., due to the fact that summer temperatures can cause emissions from gasoline vapors to increase pollution levels. For instance, during this time period, Northern Virgina, Richmond and the Norfolk area are required to sell an entirely different blend of gas than the rest of the state. The highly populated Atlanta, GA region is required to sell an entirely different blend, not only different than Virginia, but different from the rest of the entire state of GA. This goes on across the entire country. So just before the two holidays, refineries must change their production processes, and gasoline tranport vehicles and gas station owners must empty and clean out their tanks. Now.....if a station keeps their prices up a week or two after the holidays, there might be some extenuating circumstances but you also might want to question....
tangelo53 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tangelo53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 12:30pm
I heard on 107.7 last night that Bush put a stop to this fuel-blend in order to produce product more quickly.
stewart View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 1:46pm
quote:
Originally posted by tangelo53
[br]I heard on 107.7 last night that Bush put a stop to this fuel-blend in order to produce product more quickly.

Yep--he gave a temproary waiver until September 15 so areas like northern Virginia won't have to worry about selling in-spec fuels. If he hadn't we'd be running out of gas very quickly. The turnover between summer and winter fuels this year is September 15th anyway so hopefully nobody will be too upset that there will be two weeks where a little more pollution is created, given the circumstances that put us in this situation.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 2:44pm
The point was that without burning gasoline, your hybrid is worthless. There is no battery power without burning ordinary gasoline.

Hybrids are not gasoline AND electric powered. They are gas powered.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2005 at 10:41am
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]The point was that without burning gasoline, your hybrid is worthless. There is no battery power without burning ordinary gasoline.

Hybrids are not gasoline AND electric powered. They are gas powered.

MDC - I guess you just don't get it; were you a liberal arts major? Tell me, how many miles (or yards) can a convetional gas only car travel without gas? Can you compare that to how far a hybrid can travel without gas - it's a simple calculation, even if you studied jounalism!
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 7:26am
stewart,

You've got some great inputs to some vexing questions here. Why don't you hang around awhile and keep enlightening us? There's enough other people who might learn something if they'd read what you write!

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 10:28am
NoSUV,
You just don't want to get it. The point is that Hybrids are not "alternative fuel". That's all.
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Route 17 Slugger
[br]getmehome pweeze, SI (Dongan Hills area)! I miss it too but VA is great! Not for nothing, the pizza stinks. The mozzarella is not fresh and the sauce is not sauce! That's a whole other story...boy what I would be willing to pay for a decent pie....lol

Moody Girl, I am sure most if not all that post here have made donations to the relief efforts. Even though a few here seem to be so self absorbed, I think all of us here have compassion for those surrounded/affected by all the devastation and chaos.

Who knows, maybe we can talk 122582 into donating his $3 score from this morning....turd

Originally posted by getmehome pweeze
[br]Where you from Rt17?? I'm from LI!! Miss it, but love VA!! (except the pizza...)Gas was 2.99 for mid grade this morning- YECK!!!

You Yanks are just getting Pizza from the wrong place. Try Padrino's II on Route 1 in Stafford. It's a dump, but its almost as good as any slice I have had in in the NYC. Place is run by a 300 lb. italian guy named Tiny. I kid you not. Check it out, it won't disappoint.
VA4ver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA4ver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 11:43am
MDC is right, NoSUV. Hybids aren't alternative fuel vehicles because they don't run without gas. A gallon will last a bit longer, so there's the advantage.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic