Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KATRINA'S IMPACT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 11:46am
Dhacim,
I already sent my contribution to my brother and family down in Biloxi.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 11:49am
quote:
Originally posted by flatulentsluggerhugger
[br]Stewart is correct. Gas station owners are raising their rates because they have to. They get their shipment in and it cost $.30 to $.40 cents more and they pass it off to us. It's not their fault. They get their instructions from the big oil companies. Since 90% of our supply comes from LA and MS we're really in for the long run. Gas stations only make a few cents on the dollar as profit from gasoline(less than $.10 to be exact)

I went out to get gas for the first time in a month last night and the lines are starting to form.

MY ADVICE, GET YOUR GAS TONIGHT BECAUSE THE LINES WILL REALLY START THIS WEEKEND!!!!!

VOTE HOT!!!! SO GAS PASSERS LIKE ME WON'T ANNOY YOU!!!

whoever smealt it dealt it!!!!

That is actually entirely false....VA taxes gasoline at 17.5 cpg, add an additional 18.4 cpg federal tax for a combined total of 35.9 cpg. Wholesale gasoline prices on the mercantile exchange were 2.17 this morning, as high as 2.41 early last week....Lets use a middle figure...say $2.30. So $2.30 + 35.9 = $2.65.9 per gallon....cheapest I saw this morning (with wholesale gas going for 2.17) was $3.15 pg. Nearly 5 times the profit you cite in your above post....

Conclusion- WE ARE GETTING SCREWED. Its no wonder all the major oil companies are recording record profits in these times....

"Keep slugging, it saves gas"
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 1:24pm
Dhacim,
Thanks for that. I saw the wholesale price last Thursday afternoon at 2.18/gallon (off .25 that day) and forgot to account for taxes when I was thinking about it.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 1:52pm
quote:
Originally posted by VA4ver
[br]MDC is right, NoSUV. Hybids aren't alternative fuel vehicles because they don't run without gas. A gallon will last a bit longer, so there's the advantage.

Hybrids use electric drive to power their transmission, in addition to gas. It's not alternative in that either you have to go downhill to use the brakes to charge the battery to later drive the motor (but then, back when I drove a stick shift I just glided) or you have to use gas to charge the battery, BUT YOU STILL GET MORE OF AN ADVANTAGE THAN CONVENTIONAL FUELED VEHICLES. Hybrids are clearly part of the overall solution to reduce our reliance on just gas alone. Thank goodness for our legislature to embrace that.
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 1:56pm
Wow! You really love your Hybrid. You have been defending it for two pages now. Unfortunately, there are many hybrids that get worse gas mileage than small sedans that are not hybrid. I'm not talking about the Prius or the Insight. I'm talking about the Escape, and the Accord sport (which uses the battery to give more power to the fuel motor).

Unfortunately, Hybrids are merely a stop gap, and in reality don't do a whole lot to curb the nations demand for gas...Sorry. You are doing the right thing by driving one, but if you really want to curb the dependence for gasoline, you would burn Bio-Diesel or Ethanol...
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 2:04pm
I guess I make the mistake of categorizing all hybrids as if they were like my Prius. Without the exemption, is it more likely that the regular lanes will become even more congested than they are now? Wouldn't you say that the express lanes with the hybrid exemption tend to move better (25-35 mph) that the regular lanes? Don't you agree that if the congestion becomes worse in the regular lanes than currently felt that the general population will clammor even louder for toll roads to allow tolls to provide the balance between the lanes?

And, yes, if ever car in the US was a hybrid, we WOULD see our consumption drop significantly. What do we have to do for the auto manufacturers to only produce hybrids?
stewart View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 2:35pm
That is actually entirely false....VA taxes gasoline at 17.5 cpg, add an additional 18.4 cpg federal tax for a combined total of 35.9 cpg. Wholesale gasoline prices on the mercantile exchange were 2.17 this morning, as high as 2.41 early last week....Lets use a middle figure...say $2.30. So $2.30 + 35.9 = $2.65.9 per gallon....cheapest I saw this morning (with wholesale gas going for 2.17) was $3.15 pg. Nearly 5 times the profit you cite in your above post....

Conclusion- WE ARE GETTING SCREWED. Its no wonder all the major oil companies are recording record profits in these times....

"Keep slugging, it saves gas"

Uh....Wrong. The breakdown in gasoline prices, according to a 2004 study by the Government Accountability Office (GAO-05-525SP) is as follows: 48% of the price is the price of a barrel of crude (thank you King Abdullah), 23% is taxes, 17% is the refining cost, 12% is distribution.

You have hit upon something as far as the markets go.....I'm not super well-versed on this part of the market but most people don't realize that the majors have little influence over the actual price paid at the pump. The Nymex sets future prices at 30 days out. Now where the majors screw us is that they were never supposed to go by the futures market to set prices but somehow the system has evolved in to this. So whatever the traders think the cost of oil will be in a month, the majors use this as their current price. And if you think they are like the airlines where if one company lowers their price then they all will, that doesn't happen. If Exxon lowered their price today by 20%, they would be out of oil so fast and the other majors would be laughing all the way to the bank.
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 2:49pm
Stewart, I was not talking about oil futures. I speak of wholesale gasoline futures, ie. already refined. The numbers I quoted were from July 2005. My point is, oil companies are making record profits because they are constantly increasing the margin on which they sell gasoline. When Exxon pays 2.17 a gallon and directly distributes to stores where they can charge $3.15 a gallon they just grossed a dollar on one gallon minus the taxes which as of July 2005 where 17.5 cpg for VA, and 18.4 cpg federal. We are being screwed. If we were not, and oil companies consistently provided the world market with gas priced comparably to the past, then we would not see huge companies like Exxon double their profits in one quarter.

You are comparing apples to oranges.
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 2:58pm
BTW Stewart, The price of gas in Pearl River, Al was reported as $2.59 today. This in an area where there is very little power, and next to no gas.

what does this mean...We are getting screwed.
stewart View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Dhacim
[br]Stewart, I was not talking about oil futures. I speak of wholesale gasoline futures, ie. already refined. The numbers I quoted were from July 2005. My point is, oil companies are making record profits because they are constantly increasing the margin on which they sell gasoline. When Exxon pays 2.17 a gallon and directly distributes to stores where they can charge $3.15 a gallon they just grossed a dollar on one gallon minus the taxes which as of July 2005 where 17.5 cpg for VA, and 18.4 cpg federal. We are being screwed. If we were not, and oil companies consistently provided the world market with gas priced comparably to the past, then we would not see huge companies like Exxon double their profits in one quarter.

You are comparing apples to oranges.

Or apples to bananas....which I apparently was when I first read your post. I guess I part ways with some on this thread that it is big business out to destroy us and I may be a tad defensive. The American consumer deserves just as much blame. Some lady on the news was stating she absolutely had to have her SUV to carry her kids around from school to sports, etc. Made me wonder how the heck my Mom carted my brother and I around in our VW bug. I mean, the football, lacrosse stick and band instruements were in our laps so we didn't get a good view of the DVD playing (oh wait....there wasn't one) but I don't remember complaining.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic