Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SCREW the main lanes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
miltrade View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miltrade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 2:37pm
VA Slugger, my post was in response to all the people (NoSUV) that are complaining about how the "HOV lane flows 25 to 35 mph faster than the main lanes", so tolls, exemptions, or some other actions should be taken to "equal the flow" between the two. What I'm saying is, SCREW the main lanes. There should be NO actions taken or special exemptions given to "free up" the flow in the main lanes. The only actions that ever seem to be recommended are those that allow the individual driver to continue their idiotic daily commuting practice without infringing upon their "choice". What about the most common sense choice of all? Reduce the congestion by getting their lazy, self-centered asses out from behind their steering wheel or add a few passengers to their ride? This is a ZERO-COST, ZERO-CONSTRUCTION, ZERO-LEGISLATION solution that could completely, I mean completely eliminate ALL traffic in our area. It's like this subject can't even be broached for fear of impinging on some god-given right to be a jackass roadhog.

NoSUV, you only prove my point. I have read your other posts and know that you are a pro-toll person. Instead of considering the idea of not driving alone, you offer only one solution, slow down the lanes that are going faster than you so that you have some sort of feeling of self-satisfaction. "If I have to wait in traffic, then so should they."
Tupe View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 1:41pm
WHAT????

quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]miltrade - the attitude of "screw the drivers in the main lane" is exactly the reason we are looking at toll roads in this region. It's their way of saying screw you back.

NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 1:30pm
miltrade - the attitude of "screw the drivers in the main lane" is exactly the reason we are looking at toll roads in this region. It's their way of saying screw you back.
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 12:53pm
Miltrade what I'm saying is regardless of what goes on in the "main lanes", if they aren't breaking any laws, so be it. I agree the HOV lanes are totally for HOV'ers, single and double riders beware! But don't berate those who choose to drive alone outside of the the HOV lane. If we all thought about saving the environment, whom would we have to save it from? Bottom line is this - the choice to ride alone is just that...a choice.

If I missed something in your initial post, please help me understand where you're headed.
ATH View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 10:26am
Yes, yes, yes to not coddling the single drivers. I'm not sure how I feel about alternate drive days, but I do agree that our way of thinking needs to change and I agree that there should be no exceptions to having 3 in a car to drive on the HOV. Lawmakers DO NOT encourage single drivers to car pool. It is totally amazing.

State decision makers have consistently made decisions that do not encourage car pooling, but instead coddle the single drivers. For eg., not extending the HOV hours in the evening to 6:30pm or 7pm. These hours are the same as when the HOV lanes were much shorter. How many people do you see sitting in their cars at 5:45pm just waiting for 6pm to get onto the HOV? Also allowing single drivers onto the HOV lanes at Edsall Rd in the evening. This was going on even before the Springfield Interchange went under construction. Every night, the HOV lane gets backed up in this area because of all the single drivers allowed to get onto that portion of the HOV.
miltrade View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miltrade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 10:10am
VASlugger, I don't understand the point of your question. If you are implying that many people want to drive by themselves because THEY alone paid for their vehicle, it only reinforces my argument. It is the typical attitude of most people that they should only think of themselves because of (insert reason here). The bottom line is, the DC area would have NO TRAFFIC if 95% of people who live here didn't insist on driving by themselves for whatever selfish reason they consider valid. Yes, some people are obviously an exception. They live in an obscure location, they work somewhere they can't carpool to, etc. But it is way too common that we as Americans provide the exception as evidence that negates the rule.
Kelsey View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 10:07am
I also agree with miltrade. Also, extra lanes are not going to majically appear and if someone is waiting for the state government...well...you can see that they are NEVER on top of the road planning for an area that has grown steadily for decades.
rale View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 9:58am
I agree 100% with Miltrade. While I realize that some folks have no choice but to drive alone (work in areas away from DC and other "popular" areas), Miltrade makes excellent points. We, as a population are self-involved and can't see that we need to change our way of thinking to make the traffic situation better.
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 9:35am
Miltrade, sounds like you had a rough night. One question if I may, what other two people (outside of your family), helped you pay for your vehicle(s) you drive in the HOV lane with[?]
miltrade View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miltrade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2005 at 9:17am
Why is it that many assume that everyone cares about easing congestion in the main lanes. I say SCREW the drivers in the main lanes. If you are so selfish that you simply cannot live without the idea of driving by yourself all the way north in the morning, contributing pollution, congestion, and general stupidity to the practice of commuting, then you DESERVE to sit in the main lanes for 2 hours each way. They purport that they are concerned with "reducing congestion", yet for some reason it is unfathomable that anyone discuss the real problem, people who commute in their car by themselves. They refuse to acknowledge that the solution to all of our traffic problems is right before them, STOP DRIVING BY YOURSELF. RIDE THE BUS, TAKE THE TRAIN, SLUG, CARPOOL.

I say that they should completely ban all vehicles with less than 3 from the HOV, then go even farther to get main-lane drivers from CAUSING all of our traffic problems anyways by clogging up our highway system with their single-driver autos by having alternate drive days like they do in some cities in other countries I have been to, where if your plate ends in a certain digit, you cannot drive on one day of the week.

Why are people so concerned with ensuring that everyone's right to selfishly consume an ever-increasing amount of gas and pollute is protected? Your "solution" is to "get even" with those that commute smarter than you do by "equaling" out the flow, to make ALL lanes slow?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic