Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Legal Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Legal Question
    Posted: 13 Oct 2005 at 11:47am
Does anybody know, or can anybody point me to a legal citation regarding the law on using exit ramps to skirt traffic then re-entering the highway. An example of this would be exit 156 N and S on I-95. Is it legal to perform this maneuver?

RLD?
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2005 at 12:02pm
This from the VA Drivers Manual (pages 38 & 27 respectively):

Solid white lines designate turn lanes and
discourage lane changes near intersections
and at other locations where lane changes
might be dangerous. Solid white lines also
mark the right edge of pavement. Arrows
used with white lines indicate which turn
may be made from the lane. Stop lines,
crosswalks and parking spaces also are
marked by white lines.

Passing is prohibited:
on hills, curves, at intersections or
railroad crossings, except on roads
with two or more lanes of traffic
moving in the same direction;
off the pavement or shoulder of the
road;
when a school bus is stopped to
load or unload passengers on a
public road (unless a physical
barrier or unpaved median separates
traffic going in either direction)
or on a private road; and,
whenever a solid line marks the left
side of your lane.

I think it's safe to say that crossing any parallel solid line is illegal.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
flatulentsluggerhugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatulentsluggerhugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2005 at 12:37pm
I think DHACIM means taking the exit then coming off the other exit across from it to get back into traffic, thus by passing the traffic inbetween. Am I correct?

VOTE HOT!!!! SO GAS PASSERS LIKE ME WON'T ANNOY YOU!!!

whoever smealt it dealt it!!!!
bnvus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2005 at 1:29pm
No it is not illegal.
fryed_1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fryed_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2005 at 1:33pm
not illegal... just an ahole thing to do.
oldgoat View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldgoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2005 at 1:36pm
Dhacim is talking about the Dale City exit/entrance. Coming North just after the rest stop, I usually take the Dale City exit, stay on the 'access' road and rejoin the highway just south of the Prince William Parkway exit. I don't think that is illegal
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2005 at 1:42pm
Old Goat,

Yes that is exactly what I am talking about....

Fryed 1, why is it an ahole thing to do?
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2005 at 9:27pm
I thought you were really talking about a problem like where the ramp from Route 1 merges onto 95 tafter the Occoquan River. Bunch of azzes do it there. I got hit by an 18 wheeler doing that when I was on the ramp actually coming from rte 1. Fortunately it was minimal damage since the driver didn't even stop when I pulled over.
Undisclosed View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Undisclosed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2005 at 10:23pm
I'm sure Robert Lang Direct knows the answer. He knows everything. In fact, he has a code section which says that you must turn your wheels to the curb when you park. He think this means that you can park anywhere, as long as you turn your wheels toward the curb. Since there are no signs saying you can't park on the exit ramp, feel free to do so with RLD's blessing.
Baz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2005 at 6:45am
Good one Undisclosed. Seems like common sense in this area is non-existent. We want everything in writing and laws put in place - otherwise we wont know how to live!! Thats whats wrong with the US now. I hope that law showing us how to wipe our ass correctly gets passed thru Congress soon...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic