Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOV Times

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOV Times
    Posted: 07 Nov 2005 at 7:51am
I think its time to consider a change in HOV hours. These current times (0600-0900) - (1500-1800) have not been changed in years, if at all, while traffic has increased tremendously. It takes 30 minutes longer from RT17 to the 14th St bridge than it took 1 year ago. If you hit the HOV at just before, at or just after 0600, there are so many violators its just like riding on the 95 side. Can't we petition VDOT and the VASP to go to hours like 0530-0900 and 1500-1900 just to get back to where we were a few short months ago? I plan on conbtacting both today...anyone else care to write to them? Please consider this!!!

wmcg
Baz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2005 at 8:11am
wmcg,
I honestly think its a great idea also. It doesnt have to be an extreme change either...I thing the change in hours you suggested would be appropriate.
hotscr17 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotscr17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2005 at 8:23am
that's a good idea but I don't think it'll change much. i think the volume of traffic is what is causing the slow downs, not the HOV hours. Plus with the addition of 5 billion Hybrids the lanes just can't support the amount of traffic.
wmcg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2005 at 8:46am
quote:
Originally posted by hotscr17
[br]that's a good idea but I don't think it'll change much. i think the volume of traffic is what is causing the slow downs, not the HOV hours. Plus with the addition of 5 billion Hybrids the lanes just can't support the amount of traffic.

I think by adding more time to the HOV lanes will help. It will get the non-HOV cars off before 0600 and allow for a faster commute.

I have just sent an email to VDOT, the VASP, Congressman Cantor and Senator Allen asking for support. If more did this we just might get somewhere. Hopefully the damn hybrids will lose their exemption this next July.

mwcg
MSCUSN View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSCUSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2005 at 8:57am
Rather than change the times, why not ask them to enforce the current times; if they routinely started ticketing violators at 6am and 3:30pm, then the violators would be out by the time HOV started. In other words, do not make or change current laws, enforce the ones you already have first!
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2005 at 9:02am
I hate to be so cynical, but VDOT has been stalling on anything that would help the HOV for a long time now, since they sold out to HOT. For example, the extreme need for re-paving of 395. Not done because of HOT.
VA4ver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA4ver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2005 at 10:38am
Speaking of HOT, have the companies done a study on how the toll road will back traffic into DC? There will be slow downs as you hit a booth so that would push the back up right into DC. Wonder if DC has even paid attention to this.
wmcg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2005 at 2:03pm
quote:
Originally posted by MSCUSN
[br]Rather than change the times, why not ask them to enforce the current times; if they routinely started ticketing violators at 6am and 3:30pm, then the violators would be out by the time HOV started. In other words, do not make or change current laws, enforce the ones you already have first!

I agree with you MSCUSN...we should demand that the current laws be enforced. But, here we are talking about the shear volume of traffic generated by the over-development of the 3 counties surounding Fredericksburg. Enforcement is good...more hours for them to enforce is better. And again I say...let's get rid of those damn Hybrids in July, '06 as planned.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2005 at 6:57am
It STILL isn't the hybrids - it's the overall build up of traffic caused by increased development without the requisite improvements in infrastructure. Just look at the differences in population growth over the past 10 years vs. the road/public transportation improvements. Look to your right - is it better or worse over there?
scoobydoo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoobydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2005 at 7:22am
I think it's worse. People wrecking and causing back ups aon the freeways, some will even wreck right on the HOV and then what? we are late for work. Lucky I have a door in my office, so I can just sneak in and no one knows I'm late. But what about those who have to clock in? I think the HOV lanes should have a wall dividing the others lanes.
And on another subject: Where are the slugs waiting in line for Mill Rd? I think we had a couple of slugs that got dropped off at the wrong destination and had to walk back.

quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]It STILL isn't the hybrids - it's the overall build up of traffic caused by increased development without the requisite improvements in infrastructure. Just look at the differences in population growth over the past 10 years vs. the road/public transportation improvements. Look to your right - is it better or worse over there?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic