Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I-95S shut down

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 3:34pm
Thanks for the info Bob.

Goober
annsyp View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annsyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 3:46pm
Freud-

I have noticed this same phenomenon. Since I don't get off work until 6 pm, I travel home slugless. Every single day at the HOV entrance (the one after the Springfield interchange), traffic backs up for over a mile, as every tries to get on the HOV, but once you are past that, the regular lanes are wide open and generally move faster then the HOV lanes (keep in mind, this is usually around 6:30 or 7).

My theory is that while traffic is fine up to 123 or so (where I happen to exit), it gets much worse after that, so the HOV ends up being faster for the whole trip, but if you aren't going very far down in the HOV lanes, it isn't worth the long wait to get on them in the first place.
TROLL View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TROLL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 3:54pm
What ever happened to the proposed plan of speed bumps on I-95?
Freud View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 4:07pm
Didn't someone mention that the speed bumps already existed on I-95? [:D]
frankiestein View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankiestein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 4:09pm
Yeah, but we are going to need the state to add a few more.
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 4:13pm
Very simple. HOV lanes are magic.
TROLL View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TROLL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 4:31pm
Did you know they have retractable speed bumps on the freeway now?
They are for ambulances and fire trucks.
Retracting Speed Bumps
Ever been in an ambulance and in a hurry?

Basically, the speed bump is constructed from low arch-shaped beams or something (some material that can support a tremendous amount of weight, obviously) and hooked up to a special mechanism activated by radio device/frequency. The bump would have the ability to retract into near flat-road status if the proper radio signal (or other appropriate signal technology) alerted it to do so. Designated vehicles -- ambulances, fire trucks, etc. -- would have the activating transmitter on their front bumper, and from a distance of about 100 meters or so, the bump would retract. This range of the transmitter could be adjusted, but one would have to give it plenty of time.

http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Retracting_20Speed_20Bumps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic