Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asking to Take Three?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savannahr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2006 at 3:49pm
I don't slug or drive to work anymore but when I did slug I never asked if somebody could take a third. I figured if they wanted a third they'd say it. I just waited my turn. Certainly don't feel obligated to take a third. It's your car, totally up to you how many you want to take. When I drove to work I didn't ask for a third because I didn't want too and don't like anybody sitting directly behind. Again, my car, my decision.
Sticky Bandaid View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sticky Bandaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2006 at 12:08pm
ew
pknapp6970 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pknapp6970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2006 at 3:30pm
I used to drive a minivan and got sick of people asking if I would take an "extra" rider. On the way into work I will not take three because if traffic is a mess, then once I get into DC I have an "extra" stop to make which makes me even later to work. Now on the way home, I will take an extra since we are all going to one place.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2006 at 6:38pm
Take three if you can. [;)]
You just might make a new friend. [:)]
Worth the risk[?]
lajamc3 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lajamc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2006 at 8:43pm
I don't often use the sluglines on my way home, but have a handful of times. That's the only time I've been asked to take 3. If it's late, I say I don't mind if you don't mind (my car is not that big), but if the line is long and it's early, I will take 2 to leave help for the next driver. Love the slug lines!
L
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2006 at 7:29am
There is something to be said for NOT asking to "take 3". Asking sets up this whole guilt thing to happen that starts to spark in a subtle way the nagging feeling of guilt in drivers.

I've spoken to formers drivers in recent weeks about why they quit and the nagging of slugs looking for folks to take extra riders is one of the most common reasons folks quit picking up slugs. I'll not go into the whole list of other reasons offered (some very reasonable, others not quite so).

And before anyone starts bombing me, I'm just passing on what I've found from others who USED TO drive and no longer do. I know these people and they're fairly rational people...maybe more so than you and me.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
AZ Man View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2006 at 11:16am
quote:
Originally posted by N_or_S_bound
[br]There is something to be said for NOT asking to "take 3". Asking sets up this whole guilt thing to happen that starts to spark in a subtle way the nagging feeling of guilt in drivers.
I've spoken to formers drivers in recent weeks about why they quit and the nagging of slugs looking for folks to take extra riders is one of the most common reasons folks quit picking up slugs. I'll not go into the whole list of other reasons offered (some very reasonable, others not quite so).
And before anyone starts bombing me, I'm just passing on what I've found from others who USED TO drive and no longer do. I know these people and they're fairly rational people...maybe more so than you and me.
NoSb

No reason to "bomb" ya but when I'm first in line at the SLUG line I always ask the driver "where ya going?" and "How Many?" I think that's appropriate since most drivers (especially in the morning) are not in the "talkative" mood so want to be sure he/she is going in the correct destination and make it clear how many they want to take. If I get a destination and nothing on how many, I ASSume the minimum of 3 to a car rule (counting driver) and go. When I was driving I had no problem with someone asking if I would take a third if 1) it was inclement weather (I would offer to begin with), 2) it was late in the day nearing HOV nonexemption time, or 3) line was very long. I believe most drivers and SLUGs operate via this method and for the Route 3 line, it's usually a nice experience and it seems we all get along and move the line appropriately.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2006 at 12:10pm
AZ got it right; the first person in line needs to keep up their end and ask for a destination and the number of riders, then SHOUT it out to the rest of the line. Why would anyone object to these basic questions?
LDOMAJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LDOMAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2006 at 1:36pm
By all means ask... I'm not offended and often will take the third since I have the larger vehicle. It was more difficult when I had the small car (limited leg space and only one place to hang my jacket).

If the driver doesn't want a third all they have to do is say no...
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2006 at 8:20am
Bump this topic up above the spam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic