Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buckle up please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2006 at 1:20pm
Although I sometime wish Sponge would be more diplomatic about how he says things, he is right on this issue. I know this from personal experience as well as research.

When I was young, I was unbuckled in the back seat (no seat belts back then) when my mother hit the brakes in a minor accident. I was hurled into the front seat, and the glove compartment door opened simultaneously. I bear a scar to this day just to the right of my right eye, and am fortunate I did not lose it in this very minor accident. In a high speed accident, I no doubt would have been dead.

But if my personal experience is not compelling, consider this study:

Research done at the University of Buffalo (NY) Center for Transportation Injury Research, found that by not buckling up, back seat passengers endanger drivers in the vehicle in which they're riding. Researchers analyzed federal crash data, and found that when rear passengers sitting directly behind the driver don't buckle up, they triple their odds of dying in a head-on crash and double the odds that the driver will be killed. The study also found that unbelted adults in the rear passenger seat quadruple the maximum force to the driver's head and chest. The researchers calculated that if 95% of rear-seat passengers buckled up, they could save 800 lives and prevent more than 65,000 injuries each year. (national numbers).

While most slugs will not be behind the driver, the same principle would apply to the fellow slug seated ahead of them. Buckling up is a minor precaution that just might save you from serious injury or death...do it! No excuses...

getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2006 at 1:30pm
Sponge- since when did you turn so nasty? I can understand the weather may dry you out a little but sheesh- BREATHE MAN!

Ok, I get it, seatbelts, your pro seatbelts.

DEAR GOD GIVE THE MAN A SEATBELT!

But he was in that accident, and that is what he was told. I cant change that fact. Do you believe everything you were ever told, all the time? Did I say that anyone was safer with or without one? All I did was state that is what he was told.

So sorry for sharing.

slugging is free, keep it that way, down with SOV ON HOV!! :')
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2006 at 2:42pm
"The EMT said..."

That's like the guy who was told that if he had been wearing a motorcycle helmet, he wouldn't have survived.

Maybe in a freak occurrence, someone not wearing a seatbelt survives where they might not have otherwise. But it's just that. A freak occurrence.

Anyone getting into someone else's car needs to have the courtesy to put the seatbelt on without being asked. Anyone that doesn't agree can ride the bus.
Oosik View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2006 at 2:49pm
We probably all have anecdotal stories of how seatbelts saved / would have killed someone. For years a friend took the position that IF he were seatbelted and IF he drove into the water, he would likely drown. Of course, that doesn't happen as much as, let's say, getting rear ended or driving into a tree, but it keeps some people from doing what is safe. Whether an EMT could competently dissect a vehicle accident 10-20 years ago (?) to determine that seatbelts would have strangled someone is simply not what I am going to rely upon when I am in a vehicle and have others in my care.

Now I am sure that there are instances of people who were actually compromised by a seatbelt, but they are far and few between. Every week, however, you will read about someone ejected from a car to their severe detriment. Statistics and personal experience make it clear beyond any dispute that seatbelts save lives. Seatbelts are also more reliable and more effective than airbags. And, as Mr. SLug points out above, the life saved may be your own regardless if you are the driver or the slug.

As a lawyer I try to appeal to your base instincts so if you don't give a crap about the slug's life, at least you should care about YOUR insurance premimums and potential criminal liability.

BTW, "slugging is free" only for the slugs. Drivers pay for insurance, gas and upkeep. I don't want to be paying for more insurance because a slug didn't want to bother with a seatbelt or has some misconceived notion of their reliability.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2006 at 2:56pm
I'm nasty about this because I don't want to die because you or some other idiot can't be troubled to put on a seatbelt, which takes all of 3 seconds to do.

And because my mother-in-law chose not to wear a belt on an icy night in West Virginia and, after her husband managed to run their 300M into a ditch, she was found in the back seat somehow, with several broken vertebrae.

Four operations later, she is fine, but slower, and lives with pain everyday. ER doctor said she would have walked away from the wreck unscathed if she had her seatbelt on. Instead, her STUPIDITY messed up everybody's lives accommodating her injury and recovery. And she suffers every day, the poor dear.

That's why the Sponge vents on this subject.

And don't EVEN get me started on the people who don't buckle up their kids! Good God A'mighty!
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2006 at 3:41pm
Hell, then your glad you didnt see that fool in the left turning lane on 610 a few weeks back with the not even two year old in the back seat with both her arms out the 1/2 open window, no car seat, no belt. She was too busy on her cell phone looking all mad at the world to care.

Ok, now that you've cooled a little, I understand your anger. I'm just sick of the name calling. My hubby was lucky, plain and simple.

Drive safe tonight. Believe me, my seatbelt will be on this afternoon.

SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2006 at 12:23pm
Hey, that is good news -- good that you will be wearing a seatbelt. The Sponge wants everyone to arrive home safe and sound, and if everyone front and back wears seatbelts, then there is a greater likelihood this will happen.

(I've never said anything to parents I see with unbuckled kids, but I've been tempted. Funny how often I see unbelted kids in the back and belted parents up front. I know they care about their kids, so I have to conclude that the parents think the children are safer unbelted. THAT is why I take such strong issue with the urban myths related to being unbelted.)
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2006 at 12:43pm
Here, GMHP, is the hilarious last word on this subject: go to Snopes for the TRUE story of the anti-seat belt advocate who died in the backseat of an SUV that rolled -- unbelted, of course. http://www.snopes.com/autos/accident/seatbelt.asp

And the facts on getting "crisped" in a fiery accident because your seatbelt traps you... http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/seatbelt.asp

(The evilish side of me rather wants the Idiot Brigade to go on killing themselves off and thereby improve the gene pool... GMHP is no longer in the brigade, though, right? She's going to wear her seatbelt from now on? [:)])
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2006 at 1:27pm
Yes yes, seatbelt for me. I love snopes, I shut down many recycled emails with this site!

SlugsB1tch2Much View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugsB1tch2Much Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2006 at 4:01pm
As far as I'm concerned she remains in the idiot brigade...refer to her posts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic