Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bob's Closed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 1:27pm
I am for that. I can help with signs too. there is a CVS right there with posterboard and such. I am leaving work at 5 and slugging down to Bob's. Do we want to coordinate this effort? Anything to make tomorrow smoother:-)
lajamc3 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lajamc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 1:34pm
I have some white foam core in my office here, and can do a couple of signs and tack them up on my way home at 7 or so. Any concensus on where they should be and where they should direct people? Maybe we should wait 'til closer to 4 or 5 so others can weigh in on it? I'm relatively new to this, so if there have been methods used in the past when Bob's has been closed, I defer to those!
La
chmp View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 1:35pm
I would think as close to the closed off place as possible and then probably right before the light, so they can make the left turn without too much hassle, so maybe the light right before, Spring Rd I think it is? WHere the Weichert building is?
pbinkley View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbinkley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 1:44pm
What about for drivers coming from the south? Can something be put up in the median or on the right side of Franconia Rd. facing south so drivers know to turn right at Bob's to pick up?

Thanks to all for doing this!

quote:
Originally posted by chmp
[br]I would think as close to the closed off place as possible and then probably right before the light, so they can make the left turn without too much hassle, so maybe the light right before, Spring Rd I think it is? WHere the Weichert building is?

SlugGirl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 2:55pm
quote:
Originally posted by pbinkley
[br]What about for drivers coming from the south? Can something be put up in the median or on the right side of Franconia Rd. facing south so drivers know to turn right at Bob's to pick up?

Thanks to all for doing this!

quote:
Originally posted by chmp
[br]I would think as close to the closed off place as possible and then probably right before the light, so they can make the left turn without too much hassle, so maybe the light right before, Spring Rd I think it is? WHere the Weichert building is?

SlugGirl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 2:58pm
Another option is to cut down that yellow tape!! :)

quote:
Originally posted by lajamc3
[br]Just spoke to Linda Waller at the County Bd of Supervisors (Spvsr Kauffman's office). They are aware of the problem and trying to get in touch w/ the owner of the property to see what's going on. Here is a nutshell of what she told me:

1. Owner is Mr. Thalheimer of Richmond--has no request for construction or otherwise at the site in w/ the Board (Kay Jennings request was withdrawn some time ago, so that's not it). Hasn't yet responded to their attempts to contact him.

2. They're not aware of any problems that have occurred in the Bob's lot or environs that would lead them to take this action and ownership has not changed recently.

3. This morning's events will probably not be allowed (thank goodness) to be repeated as it obviously creates a traffic hazard that the police will not like.

4. The church is not a recommended site for several reasons--school programs, already heavy traffic at that site, etc. She recommends calling the church and asking their permission before rerouting Bob's slugs and drivers there.

5. Behind Wachovia near the commuter park and ride, or somewhere thereabouts, might work better.

6. They will either post here or get in contact w/ those who have called when they know something more from the owners.

Hope this helps!
La

sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 3:59pm
Put one sign just before the marked crosswalk at the stop light so those slugs who cross OKM legally and safely will see it BEFORE they cross to the morning "Bob's" slug line side. Put another sign near the fenced/roped off area at the old Circuit City so those slugs who cross OKM illegally won't see it until AFTER they disrupt traffic and risk life & limb when they run like squirrels across OKM in the middle of the block. That would be just another not-so-subtle way to show them what a stupid risk they take and how unsafe they really are.

I'm all for putting the slug line on the Wachovia bank side of OKM for the safety of those scampering squirrel-like, road-crossing slugs.
colossus911 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 4:18pm
All this is assuming that the lot isn't reopended in the morning right?

Has anyone made it home yet to check on the status?
lajamc3 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lajamc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2006 at 4:49pm
No real update to report, but let's assume we have to at least temporarily relocate, but the Supervisor's office is still trying to track down what's going on w/ the owner, etc. The sign about "No loitering" is pretty permanent looking. Supervisor Kaufmann brought it up at today's board meeting, according to his office, so they are definitely aware of the problem.
I'm planning to post some signs after work (I hope!), for folks to 'report' to the lot behind Wachovia bank. There's no median there, but whatever we post will be better than nothing, I suppose. Anyone's welcome to put more signs up. (Maybe once I get out of work, some sign fairy will have it all done for us!)
La
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 6:57am
The Bob's slugs DID NOT line up at the Wachovia and were blocking OKM road right-hand lane traffic in front of Circuit City again this morning. There's gonna be one big "rear-ender" there because that's the lane people want to get in for the I-95 north entrance ramps.

Move the freakin' "Bob's" line across OKM if there's no way for drivers to pull completely off OKM Rd to pick-up the slugs.
Stopping in the high-demand lane just ain't gonna work!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic