Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bob's Closed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 9:51am
the officers were giving out warning tickets this morning for drivers picking up commuters on the road. They mention that starting Friday, they will give out tickets to drivers if this continue. I recommend that we move to the Springfield plaze by the Wachovia bank or K-mart area. And its very convenience to access HOV!! They have been some mention of this a few months ago but it never happen. [:)]
chocolate928 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chocolate928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 10:31am
I just sopken with a co-worker and she informed me that the slug line has moved to the bank across the street for now.

[:)]

choclate928
verteranslugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verteranslugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 11:11am
I called and Dan Kaufman listened to my story and took my email address to get back to me. Just came back from vacation to find the lot blocked off and in the 15 seconds I slowed down in the right lane, with my turn signal on, to read the sign that said the slug line was across the street at Wachovia, my passenger said look ahead, the policeman is waving you in. Two cops were in front of the old fish house waving in everyone who slowed down to pull into the Circuit City lot. The police then proceeded to tell me I was causing all sorts of accidents by stopping in the traffic lane (which I didn't, I slowed down), and that he was only going to give me a warning and not a ticket and gave no information about the slug line. The police were causing a traffic jam by waving everyone to pull over into an area that was not enough room to house them. And there were no accidents in sight because most people in the right lane are slowing down to make a right turn any way. I think the Wachovia bank is a good alternative except no one can see the riders. That way, people don't have to jay walk across a dangerous road (which the policeman also complained about -- Jaywalkers). That's my two cents.[:(!]
freddy2007 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 12:28pm
dam cops everywhere this morning...they were issuing warning tickets for drivers pulling on the side and jaywalkers! instead of redirecting traffic...they were being nasty and aggressive about it.

so, the new bob's location is at wachovia? should it be called wachovia from now on instead of bob?
DOTslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DOTslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 12:35pm
While the Wachovia solution is probably the best one for now, you still have people crossing the street in the other direction if they are forced to park near the church. It would be nice if there were more blue parking spaces for commuters than what is currently available.

Is there any way to at least temporarily increase the number of spaces while the Wachovia pickup is being used? Of course, a permanent increase would be better.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 12:39pm
It's not the cops' job to establish slug lines. It is their job to enforce the laws and help traffic flow smoothly.

Drivers stopping in the right hand lane of a major thoroughfare impeding traffic flow deserve "attention and help" from the cops because those drivers are violating a law and creating an adverse public safety situation.

Don't complain about the cops -- complain about the drivers who create the dangerous situation.

Now, just move the "Bob's" morning line across OKM to the Wachovia.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 12:53pm
anyone want to move the bob line to springfield mall? would make it easier for everyone..no need to jaywalk or block traffic.
verteranslugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verteranslugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 12:54pm
It's not the drivers who were causing traffic this am at 7:55 am, it was the cops! I didn't stop, I slowed to make a right turn, saw the tape and then got flagged into the fish house lot to be screamed at very rudely by a policeman. There was not that much traffic on OKM this am.

They could have more effectively done their job by flagging people on at the Circuit City lot before anyone could "stop" instead of pulling them over after the "jammed" area and yelling rudely at them. I didn't need to know about the accidents I was(n't) causing and about jaywalkers. At that point, once I saw the tape and the sign (thank you to whoever wrote that sign) I had no desire to hang out in the right-hand lane of OKM and would have been very happy to move on without a lecture and having to show my license and registration. The police obviously knew by that time what was transpiring and could have more properly redirected drivers away from the Circuit City entrance.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 1:12pm
would be nice to have a springfield mall or kingstowne line.
Linda Waller View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Waller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 2:08pm
This message about the Circuit City slug line is from Supervisor Dana Kauffman.

Folks,

I’ve heard you and here’s what we’re doing to help:

Short term, we are trying to get the lot re-opened to sluggers. The Circuit City site is private property and not subject to our direct control.

Long term, I have secured Fairfax County Board of Supervisors’ approval to have our staff begin discussions with the owners for possible purchase of the lots to preserve them for use by sluggers and other commuters.

Also, late this year, construction will begin on another park and ride lot on Backlick (at its intersection with the Fairfax County Parkway.) This lot will also offer immediate access for the hot lanes and will provide additional opportunities for sluggers.

The slugging system works and I will do everything I can to keep your private initiative alive and well.

Dana Kauffman
Lee District Supervisor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic