Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTired of choking on hybrid fumes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 16>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2006 at 3:20pm
I rode in with four today and every day last week. You?
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2006 at 3:26pm
20 miles one way, 40 miles roundtrip daily = 200 miles per week, or 10,000 miles per year. Hypothetically, I would drive about 14,000 miles a year. So HOV4 commuting would take up about 2/3 of my total miles. But since these days I usually ride, I drive about 10 miles per day round trip to the commuter lot, and taxi my kids around on the weekends for a total of about 4-5000 miles per year, about half HOV. You?
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2006 at 3:34pm
Prius is 4 years old: 77,000 miles. No hypothetical about it, it averages to over 19,000 miles per year. Commute is 20 miles each way. Using your calculations, that's 10,000 miles per year. My average is 45 mpg for all of those 77,000 miles. Of course, the 9,000 miles per year NOT spent in commuting generally have at least one passenger, but no need to use that. What did you say the year and mileage was on your car?
LDOMAJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LDOMAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2006 at 3:45pm
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts...for support rather> than illumination."> -- Andrew Lang (1844-1912)
PennyPrius View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennyPrius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2006 at 6:28pm
I still say the argument over HOV is more convenience than ecology. The HOV lanes ease congestion and conserve fuel at the same time, slugs or not.

Cars get better fuel economy when they are running and moving as opposed to sitting and idling in traffic. Allowing (for now) hybrids an exemption is easing congestion, increasing total fuel economy of any given rush hour (although not as much as carpooling does) and is good for the environment. 3 people in a 15 MPG vehicle is 45 MPG same as in a SOV hybrid. It doesn't ease the congestion issue but it is a wash for MPG.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 11:21am
Illumination!
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 11:50am
Hello everyone. I just joined the board. For the past 30 yrs. I've commuted either by carpool, vanpool, or slugging.

Does anyone know the statistics on Hybrid sales in this area once they lost their HOV exemption on July 1st?

Your posts have been fun to read.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 11:54am
Michelle McQuig's latest e-newsletter had the stats. They showed a drop off in hype-bred purchases after July 1, but that was only to be expected. It would be better if they kept selling well without the exemption.
SlugsB1tch2Much View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugsB1tch2Much Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 5:55pm
Finally, an end to this post? Is NoSUV done?
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2006 at 9:37am
quote:
Originally posted by PennyPrius
[br]I still say the argument over HOV is more convenience than ecology. The HOV lanes ease congestion and conserve fuel at the same time, slugs or not.

Cars get better fuel economy when they are running and moving as opposed to sitting and idling in traffic. Allowing (for now) hybrids an exemption is easing congestion, increasing total fuel economy of any given rush hour (although not as much as carpooling does) and is good for the environment. 3 people in a 15 MPG vehicle is 45 MPG same as in a SOV hybrid. It doesn't ease the congestion issue but it is a wash for MPG.

For Hybrid's, that is wrong wrong wrong. Take a look at the window sticker of a Hybrid, they get better gas mileage in town (traffic) than they do while crusing on the hwy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 16>
  Share Topic