Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTired of choking on hybrid fumes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 16>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2006 at 11:05am
Pointless? Me? A sponge? Of course I'm pointless, you moron, I'm a rectangle! But I'm irreverent, not irrelevant.

Ahem. So "HOV causes congestion"?

Carpooling ALLEVIATES congestion. Slugging is a form of carpooling.

Solo driving ADDS to congestion: on the carpool lanes as well as at your destination.

So let's see how your argument works: Hmmm... DC traffic is worse now than it was two years ago... what's different... Hmmm... could it be, er, hybrids?

By your "logic", NoSUV, hybrids could be the cause of worsening congestion, since they happen to be driven on the region's roads.

(Don't get all confused and think I believe that. I'm just demonstrating the inherent fallacy of your cum hoc ergo propter hoc argument.)
slugjo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2006 at 11:10am
WOW! He did it again! Spongebob, that's why I won't engage him in discussion. A person with no credibility or ability to conduct an intelligent conversation is best ignored. Maybe you've noticed, but he has never replied to me, either. Maybe in his twisted logic he thinks I have no credibility. This is fun.
PennyPrius View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennyPrius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2006 at 12:19pm
Perhaps congestion on our roadways could be because this is a growth region of the country as well as adding certain vehicle types to the HOV lanes.

Of course these facts will be refuted by the sponges et al of the world but oh well.

National average population growth 200-2005 is 5.3% The regional growth here is 6.9%. I wonder how many of the folks that moved here have cars. I will go out on a limb and say most of them do so it is no wonder that congestion is getting worse.

I will also suggest that hybrid drivers might have at one time been slugs but found that system less appealing than driving on their own. Now that may add to the congestion, but I still see little evidence suggesting that there is a need to limit hybrids from the HOV lanes so far. Perhaps if hybrids continue to gain in popularity it will become necassary to change the rules, but not yet. However, hybrid sales have gone flat or decreased over the last few months.

Now that fuel prices have gone down, I would think hybrid sales witll continue to plummit.

Pennyprius<=============not a troll.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2006 at 1:56pm
Thanks for the stats, Penny, they reinforce the argument in favor of carpooling/sluging that most forum participants support.

Also while many SOV hybrid drivers tout MPGs and ecological concerns as their noble motivation to endorse hybrids, you honestly state that you prefer driving on your own. And although I still think all DC commuters should carpool, your lack of pretention is refreshing.

Thanks for the breath of fresh air!
PennyPrius View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennyPrius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2006 at 3:21pm
Thank you Raymond.

Without boring the group with the details, yes I did go hybrid for the cost savings in fuel first, HOV exemption second. Now that I know it tweaks some of the arrogant posters on here, I have a third reason to love my HOV exempt-2005 Toyota Prius with option package 6-(all the bells and whistles)

<============Not a troll
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2006 at 10:26am
PennyPrius <-------------------- a troll
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2006 at 12:17pm
PP, for what it is worth... why don't you go back to the Sponge's very first ever post on this board -- October 6, 2004...

(Twilight Zone sound effect...) "The question to ask is whatever happened to the huge lot we were promised at I95 and Rte. 234? I went to a public discussion on it in mid-2001, and VDOT's rep said they would do it, even that they HAD to do it. Now look, they are building a conference center there (like that'll ever work!)

The pressure on Horner comes from four things:
1. PWC population has grown from 280,813 in 2000 to estimated (by PWC) 341,077 people. That is 61,000 in less than four years.
2. New home construction has been concentrated along the I-66 and I-95 corridors, but the I-95 corridor is zoned for greater density.
3. Stafford and Fredericksburg are growing almost as fast as PWC, and if you travel north driving solo, the first regular back-up you come to is around Horner Road.
4. The BIG PROBLEM is that NOT ONE SINGLE COMMUTER PARKING SPACE has been constructed on the eastern end of the county since the expansion of the 234 lot back in 2000/2001. NOT ONE! Yet we add tens of thousands of people.

It's only going to get worse."
----------------------------------------
OK. Got anything NEW to add, PP?

We're all so glad you're here to tell us that the problem is growth. Whodathunkit?

Don't go crying to mommy about the bullies, please. [B)]
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 9:54am
PP,

Your stated reasons do seem to indicate a bit of selfish interest and not the altruistic motives you have wished to rightly claim as your rationale for buying a hybrid. The admission of SOV in HOV lanes as a reason for purchasing only serves to further reveal who you REALLY ARE and not who you'd like to view yourself as being.

It is really simple, but those who buy hybrids would like to think otherwise (so they can continue to think they are "holier-than-thou"), more cars on the road equals more congestion. Not just on the roads, but in the parking lots. SOV equals more cars on the road. Most who aren't blinded by false claims in order to make themselves feel better, get that. Those who don't see that, won't get it.

NoSUV has finally arrived to the point where even his somewhat salient points early on are completely lost in the latest attempts to attribute congestion to HOV.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 11:45am
Actually, I remain firm in my belief that all new vehicles should be either hybrids or alternate fuel. At the same time, our regular lanes are clogged, and slugging has been around for a few decades. We need to follow the path from where we are to where we need to be, and the answer is that either the legislature needs to limit what can be sold in the region (has to be national or else people will just go to a different state to make their purchase) or find an incentive to guide consumer decisions. I, for one, prefer for those incentives to NOT be taxpayer based.

Toll roads are a possible solution with hybrid/CSF exemption and the revenue generated going to subsidize public transportation (take an express bus to/from current slug line for $1/trip).

Nearly every week there's another article about the affects of global warming, and every other week an article about dwindling fuel supplies. And still, how many of you have purchased a vehicle within the last 5 years that isn't a hybrid/CSF? Would your purchasing decision been different if you couldn't get into the express lanes unless you were in one?
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 12:24pm
No one really disagrees that hybrids are, by and large, "better" for the environment than regular vehicles. One day, most vehicles in this country will use some form of the hybrid engine, and that will be a good thing.

But it does not necessarily follow that the government should therefore promote solo driving over carpooling, or create a special class of privileges for those who can afford the latest technology.

Nor do we need the government to guide consumer decisions. Hybrids are being advertised all over the TV, if you haven't noticed. Even Clinton bought one. He didn't need a carpool-lane exemption as incentive, either.

Unlike you, there are some hybrid buyers who do it for unselfish reasons. And others for whom the gas savings is reason enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 16>
  Share Topic