Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slugs to Avoid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugcarrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2006 at 8:12am

quote:
Originally posted by JK 14 n G
[br]Slugcarrier- While I find your advice amusing, calling the sheriff's office and all, I want you and everyone else to know that it is not good advice. I was a 911 operator for 3 years. 911 is for EMERGENCIES ONLY, and while a verbal threat is still a threat, it is not an emergent situation. There is another number for the Stafford Sheriff's Office-it's called the NON-EMERGENCY number, and everyone living and doing business in stafford should have it on speed dial.That number is 540-658-4400.

Thanks JK, that's good info to know.

Let's fill up the Rt. 17 lot and ease up on Mine Rd.!!

SuTaRiCh View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuTaRiCh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2006 at 11:55am
I am fairly new the slugging and have a question of proper form here. The other afternoon I got into a car at the Pentagon, heading to Rte. 17. By the time we had reached that place on 395 where you suddenly lose lanes, it became clear to me that I was in real danger. The driver was so tired, she could barely focus. She clearly didn't see the big van she nearly side-swiped. Down near Edsel Rd., she clearly didn't see the tow truck parked in the breakdown lane, didn't see the door swing open, and didn't see the driver exit until she passed him (no effort to move over, slow down, anything) and he flung his arms up in the air like he'd been hit. We drifted to the left (from the left lane) several times (she jerked back into the lane) and she actually hit the road bumps that tell you you are drifting. I watched her eyes close several times.

What do you do??? Offer to drive? Ask to be let out on the highway? Cough a lot? Oh, and then we had to point out that she was about to pass the exit for 17 - her reply, "Oh, where did I pick you up?? I'm glad you said something". I probably should have said "get some sleep" when I got out of the car, but frankly I was thinking about kissing the ground at that point.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2006 at 12:10pm
Wow, interesting ride, eh?

Opening a conversation with a driver who is obviously dozing off would seem appropriate (even if slug rules say slugs don't talk). An opening question/statement to the effect that they appear tired might be a good starting point. From there a suggestion that you drive might be in order and appropriate.

When you saw her eyes close you could've cranked the AC to max cold to wake her up some!

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2006 at 1:12pm
She wasnt driving a Mustang by any chance, was she? I had this happen about a year ago. I was in the back seat, my husband in the front passenger. The women started to "drift off" in both senses of the word. My husband actually had to grab the steering wheel and jerk the car back in its proper lane. She was quite embarrassed and apologetic after that, never mind awake.

GMHP was hea!
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2006 at 1:36pm
It would be appropriate to ask, "Is everything ok" and then try to carry on a conversation. That's what I did a few years ago.

I was in the back and could see the driver was nodding off ( or so I thought because of the head bob). The person in the passenger seat confirmed it as she glanced back at me with terror in her eyes...

Luckily we didn't have to go as far as Rte 17 (Rolling Valley was the destination), but if we had, I'd have offered to drive.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2006 at 2:48pm
SuTaRiCh, you are absolutely within your rights to speak up. I would have shouted out, "Hey there, let's stay awake so we all arrive safely!" You could suggest opening the window to let some fresh air in, turning on the radio, etc. You are justified in your intervention, whatever you feel is necessary, for the safety of everyone on the road. And if the driver takes offense, that is their problem. Take heart in the fact that you may have just saved their life and those of others on the road!
SuTaRiCh View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuTaRiCh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2006 at 6:49pm
Thanks all! I sure hope never to be in that situation again, but I sure welcome some of the suggestions and advice. I am pretty sure it wasn't a mustang, by the way, think it was too big a sedan but I really don't know what it was other than 'older'. White, with blue roof, 4 doors. I was in the back, so had a good view of eyes in the rear view mirror (which was rarely checked).
barrington View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barrington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2006 at 1:44pm
First and foremost, 99.9% of the slugs I've transported have been great. I'm normally looking for just one slug. Have twice ended up with two slugs -- most recently after I indicated one and two got in the car asking if two was okay while sitting down (by the one who was distracted by her cell phone which she continued to use almost all the way home and who stopped only then because she lost her connection). Please only a short cell phone conversation to provide an ETA home if necessary.
shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2006 at 11:30am
The best way to deal with both slugs and drivers who have etiquette problems is to refuse to ride with or give them a ride. If they went to get in the car, you could politely tell them your problem with their etiquette. That way they get the point, and you aren't stuck putting up with their bad behavior again. It works like a charm!!
skyja83 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyja83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2006 at 9:39am
[:0]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic