Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The HOV-3 to HOV-2 Suggestion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2006 at 8:28am
shel - perhaps you need a history lesson. You know, don't you, that the express lanes weren't ALWAYS HOV on I95/I395? You realize that the lane usage has been evolutionary? Are you one of those people who refuse to believe that evolution stops when only YOU are happy?

The whole point NOW is to get everyone into something better than conventional vehicles. The next step after all of the gas guzzlers and poor emission vehicles are eliminated (or relegated to either regular lanes or completely off of Interstates) is to start limiting the alternate fuel vehicles on the road. But, we are nowhere near that point, yet - help out by buying a hybrid, will you?
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2006 at 8:37am
One could (probably should) view the HOV INCENTIVE like one does an investment opportunity. It seems that the most "traffic" towards the investment opp happens when the earnings look the highest. If HOV doesn't appear to be providing a significant enough benefit, many people will continue to sit in congestion further exacerbating the region's challenges.

If as shel suggests all the SOVs were removed from the HOV, then maybe more people would be willing to "share the ride" and contribute to part of the answer rather than complicating the problem further.

The sweeter HOV looks and works, the more folks who might consider carpooling as an option in order to save time.

Some folks' approaches to "equalize" the two "lane options" is tantamount to "income redistribution" for those who are unwilling to make any changes in their life in order to earn the benefits that come with more effort expended.

"Good thing the legislature does".---Who in the world are you kidding (besides yourself)? The legislature "cares" about campaign contributions and no individuals can hope to match the corporate contributions rolling in from Toyota & Honda. They care all right, just not about the things worth caring for (I guess I just agreed with in even though the beneficiaries change).

I don't expect you to 'get it', but the voice of truth needs to keep on trumpeting, otherwise those who would spread mistruths and relativistic selfishness might actually mislead the uninitiated.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2006 at 9:59am
NoSUV,

Just curious...
Why do you choose to commute alone and not pick up a rider or two (or three) on your way to and from work?
Have you ever told us sluggers and carpoolers about that?
shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2006 at 10:25am
NoSuv,
1. You are the one that needs a history lesson. I have lived in Stafford County since the 70's (I grew up there). I have been commuting to Northern Va./DC since 1989. I am fully aware of the population growth of the region and the traffic patterns in the area. The reason they came up with the HOV lanes in the first place was to promote mass transit/carpooling, hence getting more cars OFF the road, hence reducing congestion. The more this happens the less congestion there is. Do the math...

2. I absolutely love the hybrid/alternative fuel technology. If you have read any of my previous posts, you will see that I fully support the hybrid vehicles as a whole as it makes us less dependent on foreign oil and it helps the environment. I wish they would start making it standard technology in all vehicles. I actully drive a flex fuel vehicle currently. Unfortunately, there aren't many places around here offer the full ethenol fuel, but I have signed petitions to get that going too. Even if I were allowed to drive solo on the HOV, I wouldn't because all that does is add time to mine and other people's commutes. If you don't need your car, slug or take mass transit. If you do need your car, pick-up some friendly slugs. It is as simple as that. Funny you would call carpoolers selfish, we are the ones that take the extra time and effort to get cars off the road. The only selfish ones I see are the Single Occupancy Drivers out there. I think you need to take a good look in the mirror.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2006 at 11:10am
Lately, too many of these threads have been devolving into stupid disputes with the intransigent, incorrigible, and inaccurate Mr. NoSUV.

His consistency is narcissistic: a thing is good if it requires no action or compromise on his part.

Rather than form a carpool, ride the bus, slug, or ride-share in any way, NoSUV wants to drive alone, and because he can afford a new car, he wants a special exemption so that he can avoid the traffic congestion.

He never shares a ride, as far as we can tell, but he pollutes our board with anti-ride-sharing diatribes -- which all come down to opening the HOV lanes to SOV's.

Can anyone verify that Mr. NoSUV does not work for a corporation that stands to profit from the toll roads?

Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2006 at 11:36am
Works for Fluor. Title is Manager of Slug Harrassment. 120k per year.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2006 at 11:49am
shel - maybe you need to look at the history of the express lanes; their first use was NOT for carpools.

Sponge - I had a short exchange with NoSB a few months back using personal email. NoSB on several occasions, unlike others who post here, indicated a sincere interest in resolving disputes. I live 1 light off of Little River Turnpike and I-495 and drive to Navy Yard. Slug lines require backtracking such that the commute with slugs is longer than just going in the regular lanes, and as you are aware, the slug demand for Navy Yard isn't all that great. I carpooled with another for about 3 months until he shifted to an office in Roslyn. I don't work for a corporation associated with toll roads.

NoSB can only verify that we corresponded on personal email and that I provided similar information. I doubt that will satisfy you, but it is what it is.

Nearly all of my over 500 posts have been to counter the anti-hybrid sentiments by slugs. Don't you find it hard to believe that there are over a post a day where slugs blast hybrids?
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2006 at 12:49pm
NoSUV,
HOV stands for High Occupancy Vehicle. The number 3 denotes that to be considered a High Occupancy Vehicle, you must have at least 3 people riding in your vehicle. No one on this board is against the hybrid vehicles. We are against selfish individuals, such as yourself, who choose to exasperate an already bad situation by being arrogant, Single Occupancy Drivers on the HOV-3 Lanes. It is really that simple.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2006 at 2:22pm
NoSUV, take the criticism of SOV hybrids personal if you want to, but few participants in this forum show animosity towards hybrids or hybrid drivers as a group or individuals. Its SOV hybrid drivers like you, who defend their right to drive solo and defy reasonable solutions to traffic/pollution/fuel consumption problems who personify the selfishness and egocentric behavoir that propigates what you describe as "hybrid hate." The fact that you do not participate in slugging, do not commute up I95/395, and will not be adversly affected by the HOT lanes, yet still post arrogant and defiant views here, reinforces your childish need for attention.

And while at times I find it frustrating, your propensity to debate (and lame attempts at it) provides me with a vehicle to form opinions and viewpoints that are supported by reason, logic, courtesy, and common sense. While you spout SOV selfishness, it allows me to retort with views that advocate courtesy and consideration to my fellow commuters. Thank you NoSUV for your arrogance, it reinforces my positions.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2006 at 2:45pm
Amen Raymond!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic