Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The HOV-3 to HOV-2 Suggestion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2006 at 3:06pm
raymond - you've no way to verify that I rode the bus anymore than I do with you. Still makes you a turd polisher, though.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2006 at 3:11pm
Sticks and stones...
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2006 at 4:07pm
Even I am put off by the level of discourse here. [:(]
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2006 at 8:45pm
[:I] Now children ... play nice! [:I]
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2006 at 9:03am
Still, I think Raymond has a valid point though. I've been away from posting for a long time. I logged in yesterday just to find out NoSUV still tries to get across his point. I don't think he has any, by the way. He recommends slugs to look to our right to see how congested the regular lanes are. Therefore, slugs are selfish. I'd even go further and say to NoSUV to get his head out of the sand and recommend people from regular lanes look to their left and see there's a system that started 30 years ago and still works great. That slugs aren't part of the problem. Moreover, slugs contribute to alliviate traffic by taking cars out of the roads. Who's the selfish now?
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2006 at 10:39am
I can answer for NoSUV. The selfish people are those not driving hybrids.

NoSUV still cannot fathom that the HOV lanes south of the beltway were built expressly for HOV from their inception.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2006 at 4:29pm
To go back to some earlier assertions at the beginning of this thread, those of you who assert that I-66 was always HOV-2 have it wrong. When I-66 opened inside the Beltway in December 1982, it was initially HOV-4 in the peak direction. Almost nobody used it. They eased the rules to HOV-3 about a year after the road opened because of the underutilization, and the rules were further eased to HOV-2 in March 1995. The addition of an HOV lane on I-66 outside the Beltway, and on the Dulles Toll Road, came well after I-66 had opened inside the Beltway. The approach taken on I-66 outside the Beltway of using a different-colored shoulder lane with X and arrow signals to indicate when the lane is open was a direct result of the problems VDOT experienced in using the shoulder as a lane on I-95, which included at least one fatality when a trucker drove in that lane illegally and pancaked a stopped motorist.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2006 at 9:13pm
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]I can answer for NoSUV. The selfish people are those not driving hybrids.

NoSUV still cannot fathom that the HOV lanes south of the beltway were built expressly for HOV from their inception.

Wrong. Check the facts.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2006 at 10:05am
We'd be happy to. Care to share a link with us?

Perhaps you are thinking of the inception of the entire carpool lanes concept, rather than the beginning of the work on the portion outside the Beltway, which is what MDC is referring to? The original plan was for buses, yes. But by the time they got to planning the section outside the Beltway, HOV-3 was an established fact.

All I can say is that I was on the carpool lanes the day they opened from Lorton to the Occoquan, and again when they opened it down to Dale City and to Route 234. Were you? Didn't think so.

Every inch of those sections was designed and built for carpools, buses, and motorcycles. Hype-breds were still on the drawing board.
colossus911 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2006 at 8:46pm
Oh, reading this is really getting to me. I think I am starting to channel a little anti-NoSUV...

Hybrids in HOV have only accomplished one thing. Destruction of the planet. They are a leading cause of surburban sprawl destroying the forests and farms of Prince William and Stafford County. Remember that many of those Hybrids are owned by someone who has moved south plowed under our natural Virginian forests for massive McMansions in the outer-exurbs but yet get to keep their SOV commute time due to the ability to use HOV lanes. The greatest threat to the preservation of the rural nature of our southern counties are Hybrids and the Hybrid exemption to HOV lanes.

...oh wow, dont know where that came from but discuss amongst yourselves...man I am just getting a little goofy these days. Too many cops at Bobs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic