Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What happened this morning?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What happened this morning?
    Posted: 03 Oct 2006 at 11:27am
From 7:15 to 8 we sat in park on the HOV lanes about a mile back from the PW HOV on ramp. I saw a medivac land and that was all the excitement I could take before passing out in a calm early morning slumber...

Was everyone ok? Does anyone know what happened?

GMHP was hea!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2006 at 4:27pm
WTOP said motorcycle accident.
colossus911 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2006 at 4:50pm
It was clogged with Hybrids.
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2006 at 9:17pm
quote:
Originally posted by getmehome pweeze
[br]From 7:15 to 8 we sat in park on the HOV lanes about a mile back from the PW HOV on ramp. I saw a medivac land and that was all the excitement I could take before passing out in a calm early morning slumber...

Was everyone ok? Does anyone know what happened?

GMHP was hea!

Our gummint at work. Inconvenience the MOST number of people by shutting down a system (HOV)that works to emphasize the need to continue a system that does NOT work (drive alone).

If the HOV lanes were shut down to land an emergency evacuation helicopter, then Virginia once again displays its misdirected policy of catering to drive alones and "mass transit".

Oh well, the slugs will stand mute. They won't say squat, even if they have a mouthfull. But let the precious drive alone feel that he or she is being put upon and political heads will roll.

End of vent. Soapbox back to Get Me Home.

dickboyd@aol.com
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2006 at 8:21am
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by colossus911
[br]It was clogged with Hybrids.

Actually, there has yet to be a recorded incident involving hybrids - this one was a motorcycle.

Get on the bus or buy a hybrid.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but since your player is broken NoSUV, I'll chime in again. Are you going to cough up the extra $8k I need to buy a Hybrid? You really haven't answered me in the other threads/forums.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2006 at 8:53am
Thanks Dick, I am short you know, the soapbox always helps when I am trying to see above all the crap you spew that amounts to a bunch of nothing.

For you to be bitter that traffic was stopped so a medivac could land to possibly save someones life, sais a whole lot about what kind of person you are.

GMHP was hea!
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2006 at 10:32am
quote:
Originally posted by getmehome pweeze
[br]Thanks Dick, I am short you know, the soapbox always helps when I am trying to see above all the crap you spew that amounts to a bunch of nothing.

For you to be bitter that traffic was stopped so a medivac could land to possibly save someones life, sais a whole lot about what kind of person you are.

GMHP was hea!

If I may clarify my statement. I feel that Medivac Helicopters are truly lifesavers. I have no problem with the helicopter landing to save a life.

The problem I see is where the powers to be choose to land the helicopter.

The on scene commander makes the call as to where to land the helicopter and where to deploy equipment. These decisions require cooperation between fire/rescue, the police, and highway departments. Lack of cooperation between agencies is a weak area in disaster planning and incident control.

To my way of thinking, the regular lanes would make a better landing site for the the helicopters. Why do I think that way?

1. Fewer people would be inconvenienced by shutting the regular lanes. There are more people in the reversible lanes.

2. The regular lanes have more access to alternate routes. There are more exits on the regular lanes than the reversible lanes. There are more alternate routes from the regular lanes.

3. The regular lanes generally have better access for emergency vehicles.

The Air Florida crash highlighted the need for better cooperation in disasters. Each incident highlights the need for more review of each incident to improve the reaction for the next incident. Or better yet, to avoid the incident.

This is my opinion. The people in the reversible lanes may not realize that the emergency people have options which would work better. For instance, closing the regular lanes rather than the reversible lanes. Closing neither set of lanes and using off road landing with short ground transport to get to the helo.

The media will most likely report how effective the helicopter has been. The media will NOT report on the "murder board" review of the incident.

In this case, as I see it, the lanes to close would have been the regular lanes.

Was the crash in the regular lanes or in the reversible lanes?

Were the variable message signs activated to alert drivers of alternate routes?

Even though the Shirley Highway Control Center is upstairs from the State Police Barracks near the Navy Annex, that doesn't guarantee that the police and highway people are communicating in a timely manner.

I stand by my comment that the people in the reversible lanes will not say squat, even when they have a mouthful. Or if they do say something, it will be to kill the messenger.

dickboyd@aol.com
go2grl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote go2grl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2006 at 10:57am
The accident was on the HOV. The helicopter landed on the HOV, which was already closed and stayed closed even after the helicopter left to clear the road. The purpose of closing down the main lanes too?

SHAKE1T
happycommuter View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happycommuter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2006 at 11:10am
It doesn't matter where the helicopter landed. If it landed in the Northbound regular lanes, HOV lanes, or Southbound regular lanes traffic would of been messed up anyway because of onlookers and of course the accident itself. JUST BE GRATEFUL IT WASN'T YOU!!!!!!! IF TRAFFIC BOTHERS YOU SOOOOOO MUCH THEN MOVE CLOSER TO YOUR JOB TO AVOID THE TRAFFIC, GET A JOB CLOSER TO WHERE YOU LIVE, OR JUST MOVE OUT OF THE AREA TO A LESS CONJESTED AREA AND GET A JOB THERE!!!!!!!! TRAFFIC COJESTION IS A WAY OF LIFE HERE EITHER ON THE WORKDAYS OR WEEKENDS!!!!! YOU WON'T HAVE TO CONTEND WITH IT UNTIL YOU RETIRE SO JUST GET OVER IT!!!!!!!

TRAFFIC IS HERE TO STAY IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT JUST SIMPLY MOVE AWAY
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2006 at 12:50pm
Similar thing happened today as the regular lanes were shutdown for an hour (reduced for more) as a medivac had to come in for a 3 car accident.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic