Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Contact your VA delegate & senator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2006 at 7:41pm
NoSUV - Were you bored or did it really take you 6 days to postulate your questions? I'm not Jody, but I'm going to take a stab at your questions.

You ask:

If you add 300,000 people to a region without any transportation improvements do you:

a. Expect all traffic to move as smoothly as before.

No, no one is that naive. (my faith in humanity, though constantly tested, is optimistic that this answer is shared by the majority)

b. Expect traffic in Express Lanes to move as smoothly as before with additional commuters all traveling in the Regular Lanes

No, I (like any rational person) would expect additional delays due to people availing themselves of alternatives (hybrids or other special exemptions made possible by the State of Virginia).

c. Blame slowdowns in the Express Lanes not on more commuters but on the initiative to encourage consumers to slow the rate of Global Warming and reduce fuel consumption.

No, slowdowns are due to the increased number of vehicles in the HOV lanes. Comprende? Vehicles. (and what initiative are you talking about? While noble perhaps, Virginia isn't into green ideologies - it accepts out of state waste for crying out loud)

An increase of 300,000 people could mean an increase of 300,000 VEHICLES (the deity of your choosing forbid). Virginia has obviously opted to succumb to those who won't try the bus, carpools, and yes, slugging (that system of casual carpooling to which you're obviously so averse). The state is interested in moving people from point A to B and in reducing congestion. The problem is, they're punishing those who have joined carpools, rode buses and vanpools, picked up or rode with complete strangers - all in the interest of keeping vehicles off the road (albeit with time/cost savings) - by adding VEHICLES to the HOV lanes.

Try reading Dick Boyd's posts (ok, granted, a laborious chore at times). His point is to fill the number of empty seats (on buses, in cars, etc...) on our roads. THAT is the key. How does an SOV hybrid help? It doesn't.

What's ultimately going to happen is that both sets of lanes will be equally congested. And while you avail yourself of a choice made possible by the State of Virginia (and hide behind the notion of being green) you're not doing anyone any good but yourself.

NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2006 at 8:23am
DC2RV - OK, you've made a good start at a rational conversation. Now that the easy part is done, let's try something harder:
Which is the more pressing problem, real-time traffic concerns or incremental global climate change? In other words, have you considered that the traffic problems in the area are caused more from increasing the population without transportation improvements (the concurrent thread with Indiana grad students highlights the difficulties of commuting for most Virginians in the regular lanes), while the environmental impact is caused by a total increase in non-alternate fueled vehicles?

The previous reasoning discussed an increase of several hundred thousand people to the region, and the resultant increase in vehicle. Almost NONE of those vehicles were "green." You can either read statistics or walk around the block - very, very few clean vehicles are in the area in proportion to the total number of vehicles.

Now the condumdrum: how can we slow global warming while having the least possible impact on the transportation problem?

We could ban all non-hybrid vehicles from the interstate, but even phasing in such a decision would place to severe a strain on public resources. We could insist that only hybrids can use the express lanes, but at this time, that might cause an impact on the transportation system because slugs have cheated the public transportation system for so long that the public system is unlikely in the short term to meet the demand.

What we really know is that nearly all of us are more worried about the short term problem of our daily commute and personal convenience than something that is going to happen 20 - 50 years from now from our actions. Just look at the folks who post and smoking - it doesn't hurt them today, and they cannot acknowledge what it means for the future. Is it any wonder that they resist initiatives to slow the global warming trend that they have a hand in creating?
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2006 at 10:15am
Care to list your credentials as an expert on climate change, NoSUV?

I think you must be made of copper, because I've never seen anything turn green so fast.

In terms of climate change, I once was involved in that field, and if memory serves, the main sources of greenhouse gas emissions were: industry, power generation, deforestation, the transportation industry, agriculture, and private households, to include private autos.

Transportation as a whole contributes only 14%-15% of the greenhouse gas emissions responsible for climate change. Your pathetic hype-bred is a feel-good, self-congratulatory, smug little attempt to claim the higher moral ground, a stance propped up by the ADVERTISING you've swallowed.

If everyone in the U.S. had a hybrid today, immediately, it would make nary a dent in the continued increase of CO2 in the atmosphere. Hardly enough impact to measure.

Want to do something really useful? Here are some Sponge-worthy ideas:

Vote President Cheney and his puppet George out of office.
Reduce your electricity consumption at home.
Write a letter protesting the relaxation of the Clean Air Act standards with regard to the coal power industry.
Contribute cash to a qualified environmental group fighting deforestation.
Move to China and protest their energy policies.
Stop emitting hot air out of your mouth.
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2006 at 10:23am
If i'm not mistaken, if Hybrids are driving on the HOV lanes without any slowdown in traffic (i.e. they are traveling at a constant 65-75 mph), then they are ONLY burning fuel, they are not using their battery. Any improvements at that point that they get in mpg is due to aerodynamics and a small, efficient engine.

Since hybrids get their best MPG in city driving, why not FORCE hybrids to be in only the slow lanes, where they can use their batteries more, get a better MPG, and use less fuel? Wouldn't that make more sense to best take advantage of them?
Hooch View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2006 at 10:38am
Since NoSUV doesn't drive on I-95, and doesn't contribute to slugging, why doesn't he find a message board on the greenpeace website, or, as stated in Happy Gilmore, "have a nice warm glass of shut the h*ll up" :)

Hooch
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2006 at 12:28pm
hootch - asked and answered ON THIS THREAD!

dark - constant speed, not constant acceleration.

Sponge - Are you now saying 15% isn't worth it? Seems to me that the percentage of hybrids in the express lanes is near that, yet you seem to harp on THAT reduction. Most sponges have better consistency. Or, are you saying that you know more about Global Warming and it's not a concern? I'm not that surprised - just because nearly every scientific magazine and most newspapers (Post had 2 article on it Tuesday 10/31) are writing about it, you still have the freedom to ignore those warnings.
Hooch View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2006 at 1:32pm
Sorry SUV, didn't see your answer, still don't. Did however notice that you claim average speed on 395 to be at or above posted speed limit. Funny, every single day this week HOV has gone from 60mph on 95 to 25-30 mph around LRT (isn't that where you get on?? ) all the way to the Pentagon. We sit in stop and go the rest of the way, surrounded by SOV's in HOV's, and they're not violators.

Hooch
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2006 at 1:52pm
Hootch - interesting that you should mention violators, or cheaters. Haven't seen anything on this board for nearly a year. Did they all just disappear from such wonderful enforcement? Now, be a good boy and look back to 10/26 on this thread. As far as the slow down, what hour do you commute? I've noticed the infamous Pentagon backup getting worse, but nothing from Edsall to Exit 7.

Sponge commented on the Pentagon backup about 18 months ago. Perhaps you can squeeze it out of him again.
Hooch View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2006 at 2:03pm
KnowSyouV - wasn't referring to violators or cheaters, I see very few of those without CF/CX tags, and it's usually around the cutoff time somewhere along my 20+ mile slug ride. I was referring to the SOV greenpeace squad cars.

And for the record, the vast majority of the posters here (myself included) don't hate/bash hybrids. They are better for the environment no doubt. But, to own one and drive alone preaching that you're saving the planet because you care is a bit hypocritical don't you think? My neighbor owns two, alternates driving them from Rt 234 to D.C. every day, and picks up riders. She also recycles and has an electric lawn mower. I'd say she's one hybrid owner that cares, and that I don't see as a hypocrite.

Hooch
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2006 at 4:29pm
Hooch,
I'm not in the vast majority of which you write. I bash hybrids at every opportunity. I bet you $5 that your neighbor rarely, if ever, picks up riders. Hybrid ownership isn't about anything but riding solo on HOV. Got it? Respectfully submitted.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic