Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Contact your VA delegate & senator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2006 at 5:38pm
quote:
Originally posted by darkprime
[br]If i'm not mistaken, if Hybrids are driving on the HOV lanes without any slowdown in traffic (i.e. they are traveling at a constant 65-75 mph), then they are ONLY burning fuel, they are not using their battery. Any improvements at that point that they get in mpg is due to aerodynamics and a small, efficient engine.

Since hybrids get their best MPG in city driving, why not FORCE hybrids to be in only the slow lanes, where they can use their batteries more, get a better MPG, and use less fuel? Wouldn't that make more sense to best take advantage of them?

Quite right. Hybrids have no business in the HOV lanes (unless they have 3 or more) since they would get better gas mileage in bumper to bumper traffic than HOV
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2006 at 7:54am
scottt - better in bumper to bumper? Which scientific papers are you quoting? Do you have any empirical data?

Are you assuming that the vehicle does not accelerate in bumper to bumper? Or that it accelerates less than when at a near constant higher speed?

Or are you just making things up because you so very much want to believe it?

Buy a hybrid, try it out, then report back your actual findings. Right now, I'd have to say that you are wrong, wrong, wrong.
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2006 at 9:00am
NoSUV, a hybrid recharges it's batteries when either a.) The engine turns the generator, which burns gas, b.) coasting shifts kinetic energy to the generator, c.) braking shifts kinetic energy to the generator.

When driving on the highway at a constant speed, you lose the benefits of options b and c. So to maximize battery generation to use more battery power (which would use less gas), you want to be coasting/braking a lot. You cannot do this on free flowing traffic at high speeds, otherwise you would cause an accident around here. But by staying on the regular lanes, you can coast and brake much more frequently.

We all now though that you hate the regular lanes and thing you should be priveledged to drive SOV on the HOV. I think this is just a very elaborate plot of yours to clog the HOV lanes so that there is stop and go traffic on it, thus allowing you to get more efficient use out of your batteries. This seems unfortunately extremely selfish.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2006 at 9:30am
NoSUV, if you read my earliest posts again you will see that I worked on climate change mitigation projects for two years. But I don't claim to be Mr. Greenjeans, like you.

The 15% to which I refer actually covers ALL transportation fuels, including those used by railroads, semis, ocean liners, automobiles, airplanes, helicopters, and Wonder Woman's invisible jet, too.

Of the 15%, how much of that is from private autos? Not much, actually. Only automobiles are subject in the U.S. to emissions standards while the other fuel users can spew black clouds of diesel into the air.

Your hybrid is a feel-good smug-machine in terms of its environmental impact.

Want a good reason to own one? Reducing gasoline consumption reduces the need for the U.S. to maintain control of the Persian Gulf states. Driving a hybrid is like spitting in ExxonMobil's eye and managing to hit Dick Cheney at the same time!

NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2006 at 10:13am
quote:
[br]NoSUV, a hybrid recharges it's batteries when either a.) The engine turns the generator, which burns gas, b.) coasting shifts kinetic energy to the generator, c.) braking shifts kinetic energy to the generator.

When driving on the highway at a constant speed, you lose the benefits of options b and c. So to maximize battery generation to use more battery power (which would use less gas), you want to be coasting/braking a lot. You cannot do this on free flowing traffic at high speeds, otherwise you would cause an accident around here. But by staying on the regular lanes, you can coast and brake much more frequently.

We all now though that you hate the regular lanes and thing you should be priveledged to drive SOV on the HOV. I think this is just a very elaborate plot of yours to clog the HOV lanes so that there is stop and go traffic on it, thus allowing you to get more efficient use out of your batteries. This seems unfortunately extremely selfish.

darkprime, once again, constant speed = 0 acceleration. Rethink your option b.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2006 at 11:49am
What, no reply to me, NoSUV? Funny how often that happens.

Or are you still aghast that you bought a Japanese car whose principle global effect will be to reduce, infinitesimely, America's hegemony? Are you a Cheney-lover?

Look out! He's got a gun! [:)]
LDOMAJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LDOMAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2006 at 12:24pm
quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBob
[br]What, no reply to me, NoSUV? Funny how often that happens.

Or are you still aghast that you bought a Japanese car whose principle global effect will be to reduce, infinitesimely, America's hegemony? Are you a Cheney-lover?

Look out! He's got a gun! [:)]

I would rather go hunting with Dick Cheney than riding in a car with Ed Kennedy...[^]
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2006 at 12:33pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]
quote:
[br]NoSUV, a hybrid recharges it's batteries when either a.) The engine turns the generator, which burns gas, b.) coasting shifts kinetic energy to the generator, c.) braking shifts kinetic energy to the generator.

darkprime, once again, constant speed = 0 acceleration. Rethink your option b.

Yes, constant speed = 0 acceleration. Constant Speed > 0 means you are either coasting downhill where friction is offsetting gravity, or you are using the engine. At constant speed, your hybrid batteries are not recharging UNLESS you are burning gas to do so. Even if you are using your batteries at constant speed, they will run out and you will only be using gas (and your little engine will work extra hard to maintain say 65-75 mph).

N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2006 at 2:03pm
Ah, now is the time we raise the question again: Viewed from a holistic standpoint, does a hybrid increase or decrease the entire pollution? Realize, there's more than exhaust to be considered.

Consider production and disposal challenges.

Not to mention all the marketing materials that were produced....

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2006 at 4:33pm
Hi. Jody here. Thanks to all for responding to NoSUV's post to me, especially Hooch -- your response made me laugh.

Oh well. I'm still going to continue to email my delegates about this ongoing problem.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic