Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Contact your VA delegate & senator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Contact your VA delegate & senator
    Posted: 25 Oct 2006 at 11:29am
Hi. Jody here. Based on the postings I've seen regarding hybrids clogging the HOV lanes, riders need to contact their state delegates and senator about this problem. I emailed my representatives about the increased commute time on HOV lanes. I suggested HOV lanes be changed to HOV-3 for regular cars and Hybrid-2. Send emails to their Richmond and district offices.

Or, is there a way to start a petition on-line for riders and drivers of regular cars to sign and send to all delegates? With people moving further south but still commuting to their jobs in the District, delegates need to be aware of this on-going problem. Right now, the drivers of regular cars and riders outnumber the hybrids. We need to make our voices heard.
lakeridgeresident View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakeridgeresident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2006 at 1:20pm
Don't worry, Jody, it's already "solved." HOT lanes will begin construction in 2008. There will be lots of solitary drivers, hybrids and otherwise, once the construction is completed. Talk to Flour-Transurban, they will own the HOT/HOV lanes.

And don't think it will stay free. When the HOT/HOV lanes in California did not make enough revenue, the owner started charging HOVs (half price, but the quantity of HOVS dropped sharply after that happened).
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2006 at 1:25pm
Not only will it not be free, your tax dollars will help this private company begin charging you a toll. See the recent washington Post article I posted in the Hot Lanes thread. I would guess that since they are saying they need a 30% state kick in for financing of the beltway project, we might expect to be asked to cough up about a half billion of more for the I-95 project. Such a deal...
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2006 at 2:28pm
It doesn't surprise me that they are now saying it wont fly without subsidies.

But this thing is far from over if they think VA is going to cough up $100 MM that could be spread around to other projects.

There are several ways to look at it. One is that HOT lanes in general may be in trouble because of increased costs and the traffic an revenue analysis that they have been doing. Another is that the thing will be profitable but they are just playing hardball.

Also, Fluor is involved in both the Beltway and 95 projects. Maybe they decided the Beltway project was not going to be as profitable as 95 so they are playing hardball on that part or dragging their feet to delay it by 10 years.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 9:41am
Where's your data reside in order to support the claim "speeds haven't decreased....one bit"?

I'd like to look at a comparative study (not the results, but the data and methodology used) in order to draw my own conclusions.

If they're agreeing with you, it's out of ignorance (once again) since they should be asking similar questions to mine. Unless they're just trying to placate you and I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to rule that out either.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 11:11am
Thank you, NOSUV, for once again inserting your unwelcome and uninformed schnozz in here.

This morning, we ran into a heavy backup before Glebe on the carpool lanes. Two hype-breads in front of us, three behind us. All solo drivers.

This was about 8:15 a.m.

VDOT itself, worthless as the agency is, has at least recognized the reality that hypies are clogging the carpool lanes.

Are you really mo' stupid than VDOT? Is that even possible?
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 1:21pm
Until now I've stayed out of the fray - but I have to say that the only point NoSUV has is the one on top of his head.

Jody points out that commuting times have increased. Numbnut immediately denounces her saying speeds haven't decreased.

Or was there some invisible ink in Jody's message that only he could read?

btw - I disagree with Jody's HOV-2 suggestion for Hybrids. Hybrids should have the same number of people in them as any other vehicle.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 1:23pm
Agreed with DC2RV on the #s to be carried in each vehicle. Similar to the challenges for HOT, how does one adequately (let alone accurately) count the number of passengers in each vehicle using existing technology without stopping every vehicle for a visual inspection?

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2006 at 10:40am
NoSUV - Commuting time has increased on the HOV lanes with the addition of SOV drivers. And based on the other posters here, they agree.

You're entitled to your opinion - no matter how wrong you are.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2006 at 11:32am
Jody,

If you add 300,000 people to a region without any transportation improvements do you:
a. Expect all traffic to move as smoothly as before
b. Expect traffic in Express Lanes to move as smoothly as before with additional commuters all traveling in the Regular Lanes
c. Blame slowdowns in the Express Lanes not on more commuters but on the initiative to encourage consumers to slow the rate of Global Warming and reduce fuel consumption.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic