Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNew Interim Agreement on HOT Signed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Interim Agreement on HOT Signed
    Posted: 25 Oct 2006 at 2:20pm
VDOT has signed the "interim agreement" with Fluor/Transurban

There is some text and several pdfs posted on the VDOT site.

Mostly legalese but we need to read it. Please post if you find any damaging tidbits we can use.
This stinks.

http://virginiadot.org/projects/ppta-I-95_I-395HOTLanes.asp
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2006 at 3:55pm

Here is a good description of what transpired, although this site is a constant cheerleader for toll roads and always paints a rosy picture

http://tollroadsnews.info/artman/publish/article_1567.shtml
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 7:49am
And from the article Bob posted there is an amount mentioned for the targeted average toll.[:(]

It reads as follows:
"Fluor/TU in their proposal said that preliminary estimates indicated average tolls of 27c/mile (17c/km) but today the state's finance chief Barbara Rees and Transurban's Michael Kulper both stressed that traffic levels will dictate tolls - because of the requirement to maintain free flow." [:(]

If that's the average, what's the worst case?
We've seen another article that says $35 one-way from Dumfrees. [:0]
LDOMAJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LDOMAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 10:41am
That is still a piece of change coming all the way up (60 miles?)... about $16.20 based on my back of the envelope figures.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 2:27pm
On the 27 cents per mile, first of all, it is clear they are waffling on it, which means it will be a lot higher than that unless they can extort another couple hundred mill from VA.

Second, even using the 27 cents, they almost certainly are talking about an average over all hours of the day, 365 days of the year. Keep in mind that these things NEVER shut down, even at 2 am.

So, my guess is that for rush hour it will be much higher. If we assume something like 40 cents, well you can do the math. But they have already said that it can go north of $1 per mile on clogged segments.

I will have to admit, they are in a tough PR spot for several reasons. They have their investors sitting there that want high revenue, but they dont want to scare the public and tell them what it will actually be.

CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 2:46pm
Bob

You are exactly correct on the "average". The cost during rush hour will be much, much higher than 27 cents a mile. It may be 40 cents as you suggest or even higher. What consistently amazes me is how this is not a political issue in Stafford or Fredericksburg. I mean, speaker Howell, of Stafford, continues to block funding for NoVa road improvements, which leaves oddball ideas like HOT as the only alternative to road financing. And Stafford keeps electing him over and over. Of course, when its drivers are paying 16.00 each way to commute to DC, they will be outraged, but he will be long gone by then. The time to voice your disgust and exercise political power is NOW. Write speaker Howell or your Fredericksburg delegates and tell them you can NOT afford to spend 32.00 a day to travel on what should be a public road!!!
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 3:53pm
I sent an email to Fluor/Transurban, regarding the impact of toll lanes on HOV3 users, lets see if I get a response.

Supposedly we would ride for free, drivers would be requested to have an ezpass type device in their cars. If it is like ezpass, which I have and love, I pay 1$ a month just to have that little white box on my car. Nothing is free anymore. I posted the entire document from VDOT in the general slug topics for view. The link at the bottom brings you to the Fluor website and glorify's the 95 toll lanes, making it seem the like the miracle cure to traffic congestion. We'll see. Looks like we have three more years of HOV free.

GMHP was hea!
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 3:58pm
One of the tactics that they used in the HOT meetings and in the literature is saying that people won't really pay the toll on the entire 50 miles, or even the 25 miles from Woodbridge. Rather, you get people jumping in and out of the HOT lanes every few miles depending on their needs and financial wherewithal. So even if the average is 40 cents per mile, the standard person would only typically pay 8-10 bucks.

Unfortunately, if people jump in and out, that causes traffic jams in both the HOV and main lanes.

I am sure they will also say that, even if it goes to $1.50 southbound at Springfield in the pm, if that is what the market demand is --that it is fair. And also who could object even if the Lexus lanes are in there, because you are getting infrastructure paid for by the wealthy. (Then they will say that it is the entire cross section of society , not the wealthy).

I have been around and around with this but the bottom lines is they are going to screw up the incentive for HOV, and when that happens we are in deep doo doo.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 5:57pm
Bob -
NoSB said it right in the general area -- for too many it's all about ME. The rest of it could be said me ONLY. The attitude from so many is that they want something for themselves and then do what ever they can so others cannot also have it, whether it's property (how many no development folks have you heard - they are in, but no one else can), tax breaks, or use of express lanes.

You personally and slugs in general fought to keep hybrids out of the express lanes. You said "bottom lines is they are going to screw up the incentive for HOV, and when that happens we are in deep doo doo."
So, you've screwed with the incentive for express lanes, too - and now the entire system is in deep doo doo. You have to partially thank yourself for the toll lanes - you alienated nearly all of the hybrid owners, and if one is to believe folks like scottt, it's no big deal for THEM to pay the toll.

Fight them all, lose them all.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 10:02am
Do we all agree that NoSUV is now, officially, a raving lunatic? I mean, I can barely understand what points he's making. It sounds like he thinks ridesharers are selfish, opposition to hype-breds CAUSED Fluor's toll road proposal, and fighting against hype-bred congestion reduces the incentive to rideshare.

Huh? Do I need more coffee or something?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic