Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prefiled - Exemption for hybrids extended to 2008
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prefiled - Exemption for hybrids extended to 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2007 at 9:35am
OMG what drivel. Seriously, did he even bother to THINK about what he was writing? It sounds like he wrote it while daydreaming about something else, like what flavor latte he was going to order.

I lived in Ole Richmond for ten agonizing endless years, suffering the moronic spewings of the (now defunct) News Loser and the Times Disgrace, possibly the least talented newsroom in any city over 100,000 people.

Studies that compute "average commute times" should be used only to line bird cages. Big messy birds. Anyone here (other than NoSUV) have a 38 minute commute? It takes me 19 minutes just to get to the commuter lot!

(And don't even get me started on his name: "A. Barton Hinkle". Makes you wonder how Atrocious his first name must be if he chooses to use Barton instead, ha! Typical Richmond pretention.)
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2007 at 11:25am
Just read A. Barton "Clueless" op-ed piece. Someone should invite him to commute on a work day during morning rush hour from Northern VA (Fairfax, Loudoun, PW) to the District in the regular lanes and see if it takes "25 minutes" to get to the District. And make sure he wears a watch to time it. What a schmuck. (Can I use the word schmuck on the message board?)
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2007 at 11:32am
The only change in the law offered by the bill is the extension of the exemption to 2008. Thus, hybrids would be permitted to use ANY HOV lane, I-66, I95/I395 or elsewhere. A pre-filed bill is a bill that a member of the state legislature intends to introduce when the legislature convenes, and pre-files it to let the public know of his intent to do so. The Virginia Legislature convened January 10 and adjourns February 24th. As a practical matter, most bills pass, or fail, during the law week or so of each legislative session. But now is the time to contact the bill sponsor, and your state senator or representative to voice your opposition to the bill...
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2007 at 4:17pm
Emailed my delegates yesterday about opposing this bill.
Galah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2007 at 8:25am
Thanks for posting the link sluDgE. Average commute times are incredibly misleading, just like average home prices and average incomes (the average of a 60 minute commute and a 2 minute commute is 31 minutes....what is THAT supposed to tell you) It'd be interesting to see what the average commuting DISTANCE has become, at 10 mph, you can make a whole 4 miles in that average commute time.
The TD editorial pages got to me bad enough one time with this kind of traffic talk that I actually wrote a letter to the editor which they printed. Reaction? Well some guy in Farmville wrote a letter saying I should get a job there because their traffic wasn't bad....
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2007 at 10:22am
Here is the response I received from Dave Albo, Springfield District:

I want to thank you for contacting me regarding your opposition to House Bill 2132 HOV lanes; exemption for clean special fuel vehicles. The official summary of the bill states:

HOV lanes; exemption for clean special fuel vehicles.  Extends the "sunset"
to 2008 authorizing the use of certain HOV lanes by vehicles bearing clean special fuel vehicle license plates.

The bill is currently being considered by the House Transportation Committee, of which I am not a member. However, I appreciate your comments.
Please know that I am in favor of eliminating the exemption and support last years agreement to stop re-issuing exempt plates, which will eventually eliminate hybrid drivers from the HOV lanes. Should the Committee report this legislation to the House of Delegates, I will give your views much consideration before I cast my vote. You can track this bill through my website www.davealbo.com. Simply click on the "Our Community" link followed by the "General Assembly" link.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2007 at 11:27am
Jody,
That's cool... you've inspired me to do the same and write to my delegate.

Goober
colossus911 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2007 at 4:34pm
Dang it Jody, I got this response from Ablo and wanted to share it too but you beat me too it.

Everyone do it, lets ring their bells and keep HOV HOV

I want to thank you for contacting me regarding your opposition to
House
Bill 2132 HOV lanes; exemption for clean special fuel vehicles. The
official summary of the bill states:

HOV lanes; exemption for clean special fuel vehicles. Extends the
"sunset"
to 2008 authorizing the use of certain HOV lanes by vehicles bearing
clean
special fuel vehicle license plates.

The bill is currently being considered by the House Transportation
Committee, of which I am not a member. However, I appreciate your
comments.
Please know that I am in favor of eliminating the exemption and support
last years agreement to stop re-issuing exempt plates, which will
eventually eliminate hybrid drivers from the HOV lanes. Should the
Committee report this legislation to the House of Delegates, I will
give
your views much consideration before I cast my vote. You can track this
bill through my website www.davealbo.com. Simply click on the "Our
Community" link followed by the "General Assembly" link.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to
contact
me.

Yours for good government,

David B. Albo
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2007 at 10:46am
Waste of electrons contacting part-time-wannabe-nothing-better-to-do-General Assembly members with any concerns. Lobby groups such as auto manufacturers, car dealers assn., etc. have already gotten to them. Unless you've got money to give, politicians couldn't give a rat's. The only people on this forum who think contacting thier "legislators" might make a difference are newbies and the delusional. I used to be one too many years ago. Good luck anyway. It only makes you feel good until March when they unveil lobbyist prizes. See, any real debate in Richmond keeps delegates from their families and real jobs longer than about 90 days. Couldn't have that. Sorry for being so negative. "I got my mind right boss."
LDOMAJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LDOMAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2007 at 7:27am
Bumping subject up over spam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic