Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prefiled - Exemption for hybrids extended to 2008
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prefiled - Exemption for hybrids extended to 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2007 at 3:32pm
I'm disappointed in Del. Albo. He won't get my vote in November.
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2007 at 6:34pm
Cool N or S Bound, a test...

Let's see, what is the number 1 priority of any incumbent politician in America? Hmmm, that's a toughy.

1. To slander any and all opposition by any means possible in order to get re-elected?

2. Or is it to obfuscate, distort, ignore facts and twist the truth in order to get re-elected?

3. Maybe it's to invest in enough chapstick to keep their lips moist while kissing up to those who can get them re-elected?

Ooh, I detect a common thread - it's to get re-elected. Whew, I'm winded, now on to Number 2.

How does an incumbent remain an incumbent?

1. By slandering any and all opposition by any means possible in order to remain the incumbent.

2. Or is it by obfuscating, distorting, ignoring facts and twisting the truth in order to get remain the incumbent.

3. Maybe it's investing in enough chapstick to keep their lips moist while continuosly kissing up to those who can help them remain the incumbent.

You see, by now they are masters of all three.

Bonus question - good one. But where to start...

Here are some Quotes taken from Wikipedia:

Aristotle -- "What the statesman is most anxious to produce is a certain moral character in his fellow citizens, namely a disposition to virtue and the performance of virtuous actions."

Harry S. Truman -- "A politician is a man who understands government. A statesman is a politician who's been dead for 15 years."

Henry Kissinger -- "The statesman's duty is to bridge the gap between experience and vision."

To me, the answer is debatable. However, the term "statesman" is usually used as a term of respect...

N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 2:10pm
Good responses DC2RV! I like it alot!

Voting benefits to oneself from the treasury comes to mind here...

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 5:03pm
I tend to ramble so I'm warning you now. I made the mistake of writing to my house delegate and senator, and apparently had no impact. Received an "acknowledgment only" response:

Thank you for writing to me on HB 2132 which extends the sunset provision for vehicles bearing clean fuel vehicle license plates in HOV lanes. This bill passed in both the House and Senate unanimously.

I appreciate you writing to me about your concerns and hope to hear from you in the future.

In retrospect, I (we) should have written to the chairs of the Transportation committees (both house and senate) and ask that the bill be amended to exclude the hybrid exemption from the 95/395 HOV lanes. Like the SpongeBob wrote, "A better bill might have been crafted that ended the I95 exemption".

I made note in my letters that the 95/395 HOV lanes were used beyond it's capacity. I made the mistake of not asking that the bill be amended to state that the exemption for clean special fuel vehicles not be applied to the 95/395 HOV lanes only. The way that the bill was written, the exemptions apply to all HOV lanes in general. If they only incorporated a tiny clause that excluded the 95/395 HOV lanes...

It's too late now in trying to influencing the delegates, but can the Governor be shown the truth and be influenced in not signing the bill? The all knowning Sponge asked, "Do you really think that any of the delegates cares about the nuances of this little hybrid bill?" maybe they don't care but can the Governor be made to care?

Goober
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 5:45pm
Goober,
About your comment on contacting the Governor since your delegate just blew you off with a canned response...
Here's a quote from the current Governor's website at http://www.governor.virginia.gov/AboutTheGovernor/biography.cfm

"In transportation, Governor Kaine is working to promote greater accountability, with a focus on measurable improvements, better connections between land use and transportation planning, and greater investments in road, rail and public transportation infrastructure. During his first year in office, he has recruited innovative transportation professionals and made significant advances in land use reforms that will make Virginia’s transportation network serve people better."

If you want to "contact" him, you can send a message at http://www.governor.virginia.gov/AboutTheGovernor/contactGovernor.cfm

It would be interesting to see what, if any, response you would get. [;)]

DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2007 at 7:10am
N or S Bound - thanks.

Yeah, increasing benefits is a good example. If you're a Fed, and covered under FERS, think about Sick Leave. You lose it upon retirement. Under CSRS however, you can add it to your retirement benefit. That's the case today.

I can well imagine that in a few years, as more elected officials come into office (and discover that they like the taste of the gravy on the train) that FERS will be changed to to be like CSRS in that area.
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2007 at 3:01pm
I wrote my representatives to propose an amendment to the existing bill to remove the hybrid exemption from the I95/I395 HOV corrider or, in the alternative, introduce a new bill to remove the hybrid exemption. I listed various reasons (increased congestion, longer commute) on why action is required during this legislative session. I'm disappointed that my delegate ignored both of my proposals. And one state senator never even responded to my email. Both representatives have lost my vote in November.
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2007 at 4:07pm
At least the choice will be easy in November, vote all the incumbents out...and make sure to spead the word to as many friends and family as possible.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 8:05am
Does anyone know how many Hybids are actually exempt and grandfathered?
There can only be a certain amount of them sold prior to 1 July 06 that the extension applies to. And each of those cars will last only a few years before they wear out. So, the numbers of HOV3-exempt hybrids should dwindle eventually. That may be by the time that all SOV drivers (and probably the rest of us) will pay to use the HOT lanes (2011 or so?).
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 8:06am
You may not know that the current owners of hybrids are allowed to buy a new hybrid at any time and transfer their plates. That should not be the case either.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic