Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Post articles abt HOT Lanes -contact your reps!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post articles abt HOT Lanes -contact your reps!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2007 at 1:26pm
I can answer that, they're lazy and they get a free ride, albeit slow, on 95 every day. Would someone willingly put themselves through that 2 hour SOV commute in the regular lanes every day if it cost them a few bucks? I don't think it would take long before they figured out a way to get a couple more bodies in their car so they could ride in the HOV lanes.

Keep HOV free and charge tolls for SOV's during rush hour and people will start carpooling and using mass transit. The only way to force change is to hit them where it hurts, in their wallet.

Hooch
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2007 at 4:27pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]MDC - I'm not sure you thought that out very well. Are you implying that there is a market for regular lane drivers to form carpools? If that is the case, what is your rationale for why it has not yet occured?

It's your job to figure out how to get people out of their cars and into your empty seats. I thought you cared about the environment?
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2007 at 10:08am
On a less combative note, I wonder about the wisdom of suggesting we all individually contact our representatives versus organizing a massive petition that can be signed by as many dirvers and slugs as possible between now and the next regional transportation meeting. It would seem that a petition signed by several thousand or more of us opposed to the HOT lanes would be more effective that individual letters to representatives.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2007 at 10:18am
quote:
Originally posted by Hooch
[br]
Keep HOV free and charge tolls for SOV's during rush hour and people will start carpooling and using mass transit. The only way to force change is to hit them where it hurts, in their wallet.

Hooch

Hooch - one more step and you'll finally be there! Toll EVERYONE - that will "force change" and get more people to use mass transit. Of course, if you want to save the environment at the same time, you exempt hybrids from the toll. That way, both commuting AND non commuting miles by those drivers are more environmentally favorable than current smog producers.

Can you take that extra step, or are you stuck on stupid?
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2007 at 11:04am
and once again, another topic is hijacked by NoSUV and pollutes itself into personal attacks...sigh
Hooch View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2007 at 11:29am
Sorry, I'm not going to join Greenpeace yet. Until the government of this country enacts tougher emissions standards for not only the auto industry, but our factories, I'm not going to piss away $5-10K extra on a vehicle just so I can ride solo in HOV and claim I'm saving the planet. I don't drive now. I ride the bus and/or slug. My car is putting out far less emissions than your SOV hybrid is each day, it's in the garage at home next to all of my recycling products. When the sign over the highway reads "ECO friendly vehicles only" and alternative fuel vehicles are both easily available and affordable, I'll get in line to buy one. Right now, the hybrid industry is exploiting people who are "stuck on stupid" by selling their products at a grossly inflated price under a false pretense that you can ride to work solo and it's saving the planet.

Hooch
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2007 at 3:16pm
This is in response to NoSUV's post of 4-26 to MDC. If management of shopping centers or apartment complexes would set aside parking spaces where riders could park their cars to meet drivers for the Seminary Road or Edsall Road HOV ramps, then maybe some of those poor souls who live inside the Beltway would be willing to pick up riders instead of suffering on the regular lanes. The first evening drop off point for riders heading southbound is in Springfield. Hardly an incentive for the drivers inside the beltway to drive out of their way to pick up or drop off riders to save time on their commute. So yes, if there was some type of incentive to get more drivers to use the HOV lanes by picking up riders, there has to be pick up/drop off point.
bnvus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 10:54am
Oh no...no more exemptions. It is time for the free ride to end for Hybrid owners. I doubt the populace will stomach another exemption for you SOV drivers. HOT lanes or not.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 11:57am
bnvus - actually, based on this topic string, it's really time for the HOV3 exemption to end. I doubt the populance with stomach slugs riding for free when everyone else IN THE WORLD is paying their fare/fair share. The only exemption that makes sense in the long run is for hybrids, so people are, as Hooch puts it, required because the sign over the lanes says "ECO friendly vehicles only".
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 2:04pm
WHO can afford to PAY to get to work EACH way 5 DAYS a week? Next you'll think its a good idea to charge per person not just per car.

ARRRGGHHHH!!!!

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic