Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Post articles abt HOT Lanes -contact your reps!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post articles abt HOT Lanes -contact your reps!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlcnole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post articles abt HOT Lanes -contact your reps!
    Posted: 19 Apr 2007 at 8:48am
Article from yesterday's Post about the pending vote on whether or not to proceed with HOT lanes on 95/395:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/17/AR2007041701694.html

and then the National Capital Region Transportation Planning Board delayed the vote by a month:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/18/AR2007041802356.html

Contact members of the board to express your concerns over the impending HOT lanes:

http://www.mwcog.org/committee/committee/members.asp?COMMITTEE_ID=15

getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2007 at 11:04am
Did anyone else's stomach do a flop at the idea of paying 42 a day to commute?

I don't believe for a second they are going to find some easy, efficient, miracle way to decipher HOV commuter vs. SOV willing-to-pay drivers. I will personally have to move or change jobs if we end up paying to go to work. Yes- PAYING TO GO TO WORK- that is what it boils down too. Why cant the state improve the roadways? Why do we have to bring in some private company with dollar signs in their eyes to "virtually guarantee congestion-free rides for transit at a time when there is little public money to expand roadways".

Lets not even get into the chaos the construction of these uber wonderful HOT lanes and "improvements" will cause. Springfield mixing bowl- anyone? This is just craziness.

Inhale, exhale... Ok, I'm better now.

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)
Hooch View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2007 at 11:41am
Sweeeeeet, $200 a week to get to work in less than 2 hours. Can't wait for this to happen. If traffic congestion is really the issue, why don't they just turn the regular lanes of I-95 into a toll road?? Start charging all the people who are too lazy to car pool or use mass transit a fee for clogging up the regular lanes. Except for truckers and vacationers passing through D.C., I'll bet 75% of the bottlneck is caused by NOVA drivers to lazy or stupid to try other commuting options.

Hooch
IH8TRAFFIC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IH8TRAFFIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2007 at 9:09am
You have nailed HOOCH!!!!!!!

Most people think it's below them to car pool or use public transportation(PT), where public transportation is available. I've heard several women say where I work at that they don't use PT because:

1. They can get to work faster than using PT.

2. Don't like being around other people because of the bumping or touching(duh, PT, when it's crowded that's what happens, nobody does it intentionally to p!@# you off!!!)

3. They want to be in control of what happens when they drive.

Some people just don't have a clue AND this is what makes me really laugh........they get a monthly subsidy from the government, who wouldn't take advantage of someone else paying their commuter expense!!!!

SHEEESHHH.....IF I CAN JUST FIND SOMEONE TO PAY FOR MY OTHER EXPENSES THEN I WOULD NOT HESITATE ONE BIT TO DO MY PART ON REDUCING TRAFFIC BY JUST RETIRING!!!!![:D]
Galah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2007 at 9:06am
So that you can go back to complaining about how high you taxes are and how all these roads are leading to unconstrained growth and cars everywhere.

Not disagreeing, just saying that, since I dropped out of daily slugging into living 5 miles from the office andd using Public Transport, I'm meeting a whole new breed of people who are very out of touch with their neighbors reality and OMG the guys that do television traffic reporting oughta be shot. Until they start mentioning that 'normal traffic delays' mean that youre average speed is 15 mph on an interstate we'll continue to have an uninformed public!

Oh, by the way, Public Transportation IS significantly slower AND MUCH less convenient than driving, just thought you should know, and Metro seems to think that's OK.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2007 at 9:00am
Thanks for the heads-up Galah, but anyone who has taken METRO or MetroBus from their farthest suburban reaches into the city knows this all too well!

And BTW, my commute from Springfield (only about 15 miles from my office as the crow flies) takes a stuffy 1 to 1-1/2 hours each way on METRO and costs $11.45 per day ($229.00 per month). Terrible, but a veritable speedy bargain compared to the proposed high HOT costs and HOT traffic management screw-up potential! And even worse compared to my slug commute; park my car and ride in for free in about 45 min. - 1 hour. Fewer cars on the road, less fossil fuel consumption, better for my pocketbook, better for the environment, and I get to make new friends everyday.

Is anyone thinking about the negative effects HOT lanes will have on the ecological aspects of the environment here in NOVA? Let's talk about adding thousands of SOV luxo-tanks to the commute each day. The affluent commuter who can afford HOT tolls and ride SOV will also be driving gas-guzzling luxury cars that not only add to the net number of vehicles on the road (by driving SOV and kicking carpool riders out and back into their own vehicles in the regular lanes), but will also increase overall congestion, fuel consumption, and pollution for all to enjoy!

Think of it this way: each SOV HOT commuter adds at least 3 vehicles to the road (the SOV + the former HOV riders) along with all the associated congestion, pollution, fuel consumption and personal expenses. This is similar to the hybrid HOV exemption effect that we are currently seeing. Each SOV on the HOV lanes adds a multiple of 3 additional vehicles to the road, along with all the bad stuff that comes with increased traffic.

Has anyone considered the negative financial impact of HOT lanes? Money spent on tolls is money that I cannot spend on other things that I need in life. Toll revenues collected leave the NOVA area (and the country). They are dollars taken out of local consumer pockets that were formerly spent on local products and services. This consideration evens out the "commuter affluence" factor as ANY discretionary consumer spending ability that is removed from a local economy has a negative affect on area businesses.

Toll roads are bad for NOVA!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2007 at 12:00pm
Actually, the environmental problem is much worse. Under HOT proposal, there is no real incentive for more car pools to be formed than currently - after all, as you point out, the commute is faster today with HOV3. What really is happining is that hybrids will be replaced by non-hybrids in the express lanes; who would pay an extra $5K for the hybrid AND have to pay a toll?

But the express lanes are still relatively uncongested on I395. It is a rare day that I go less than the posted speed limit during most hours of operation, and it is also a rare day that the regular lanes average anywhere close to the posted speed limit over the same hours.

So, how does HOT improve the environment? Not a bit.
Galah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2007 at 8:09am

I believe that the HOT theory is that by making it SO much more expensive to commute, public transportation will seem like a good deal and people will use the alternatives, after all it's a technique that we use with cigarette's! See how effective it is? (I am being sarcastic). The trouble is we are trying to encourage people to use an alternative form of transportation where and alternative form of transportation does not exist. Face it! Pay your taxes and build the roads!
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2007 at 9:04am
Just think how much better traffic and the would be in the main lanes, not to mention the environmental benefits, if NoSUV and his SOV smugs would get two main lane drivers to ride with them in HOV. Perhaps, then their smugness would be justified?
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2007 at 12:13pm
MDC - I'm not sure you thought that out very well. Are you implying that there is a market for regular lane drivers to form carpools? If that is the case, what is your rationale for why it has not yet occured?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic