Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Take Three?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 5:00pm
The way this system works is if you're 4th in line, a driver is going to your destination and the first two people get in the car, the 3rd person in line (now first) still has the right to get in that car ahead you, even though you asked the question about a 3rd rider. The key to the slug system is waiting your turn. It may not seem fair, but it has worked for 30 years.
AveMaria View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AveMaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 5:07pm
I am on topic -- YOU just don't realize it.

You are a troll in LIFE and also in the CYBER world.

Conflict stimulates you.

You dont even participate in the slugging system any longer, yet you troll the website late at night and all thru the day stirring up drama.

crewshell View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crewshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 5:15pm
No you are NOT on topic. The tread name is "take three?" not "lets throw personal insults at a person we don't know and would probably never have the courage to insult in their face simply because we disagree with their opinion. Its far to easy to hide behind the internet. When your brave enough to articulate your position instead of throwing insults come back to the table.

Haha. Why do I need to "still participate" to have a discussion on an issue? I DID participate and I saw how a long line of sluggers suffered because people where unwilling to politely ask the driver to take a 3rd.

you STILL have not answered my question. If you would like to insult me please do so to my face instead of hiding behind this mask of the internet. You have never met me in LIFE yet you call me a troll in "LIFE".

Grow up and learn how to have a discussion.
crewshell View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crewshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 5:18pm
"The way this system works is if you're 4th in line, a driver is going to your destination and the first two people get in the car, the 3rd person in line (now first) still has the right to get in that car ahead you, even though you asked the question about a 3rd rider. The key to the slug system is waiting your turn. It may not seem fair, but it has worked for 30 years."

I agree thats how it currently works.. but lets be honest with ourselves, that is flawed.

That third person (now first) has EVERY RIGHT to get into the car. But if they are UNWILLING or UNMOTIVATED to ask the driver (as they SO OFTEN ARE!!!), or if the driver does not offer it to them the 4th (now second) slug should not have to watch as the car rolls away with only 2 riders in it. That person nor everyone behind them should NOT have to suffer because number 3 was unwilling to simply and politely ask the driver. I've seen it happen so many times where people don't have the confidence or the motivation to ask and everyone else suffers.

Be not asking for a 3rd rider that first person is being inconsiderate to the rest of the people behind them by prolonging their commute.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 5:28pm
One caution. I have deleted threatening posts in the past, and would not hesitate to do so again. There is no place on this board for anything that resembles a threat. I take my moderator job very seriously.
crewshell View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crewshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 5:36pm
Bob, I am not threatening anyone. I was quite clear in my post above...

"You are inferring that my offer to continue this discussion in person means that I wish to have an altercation. That is not the case.

I simply want to see if you are as willing to throw insults around when someone is looking you in the eyes as you are here online behind the veil of anonymity."

I truly believe that people like to call others names, belittle them and throw insults on-line but would not do so when looking the other person in the eye. Not because there is a threat of violence but because they know its not the proper way to act and its much harder to do so in the presence of a person. Those participating in online discussion often substitute lack of intelligence with childish name calling instead of participating in the conversation rationally and intelligently.
Honda_Lady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honda_Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 9:10pm
Enough already! If I pull up in my car and I have 3 seats available, I will offer 3 people rides.. period! There is nothing you can do about it. Move on

HondaLover
slugcarrier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugcarrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2007 at 7:15am
ROTFLMAO!!!.

GlowingSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlowingSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2007 at 8:14am
I love slugging..........
Elemental View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elemental Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2007 at 8:30am
I probably shouldn't jump into the fray after it has quieted down, but crewshell keeps asking why his "system" wouldn't work and questioning Bob's assertion that this would cause chaos. Perhaps he is too focused on wanting this to work to make the connection to Jody's explanation of the drivers out-shouting each other. Here's what I see happening if crew had his way:

Long line of slugs, no cars.
Car drives up, rider A & B get in.
Still one empty seat but Rider C doesn't ask.
Awkward pause while the other riders realize C isn't going to ask.
Rider F shouts "Take three?" at the same time as Rider H.
Oh my gosh - who gets the ride? Who asked first - how do you know? Is it the driver's responsibility to discern who asked first?
The driver wants to get on the road and motions, yes three, both H & F head for the car - somehow one of them wins out the coveted seat and the other one is left cursing and muttering "but I asked first..." and the driver has wasted his time waiting for this mess to settle out.

So, knowing the selfish people out there, if this becomes the norm, you are going to end up with Rider D and G and K and M shouting out "Take three?" as loudly and quickly as they can in an effort to jump ahead and not even waiting for C to ask.

And there, my dear, is your chaos.

Now if we stick with the accepted system of Rider C getting the third seat regardless of who asks, we have a neat orderly system. If you think the line isn't moving fast enough, then take the initiative to ask - knowing that you won't get the seat, but you will still be moving the line and ultimately getting your ride faster. Sure there is a need for "self-responsibility", but slugging is inherently also a collective effort.

Somehow, I suspect this was all an exercise in futility, but at least now crew can no longer claim that no one has explained the rationale behind why it is the way it is...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic