Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Take Three?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Take Three?
    Posted: 29 Sep 2007 at 7:08am
A reminder to drivers at Rolling Valley in the am - or any pickup site at any time. IF THERE ARE CARS BEHIND YOU ON LINE AND THE SLUG LINE ISN'T A MILE LONG PLEASE ONLY TAKE TWO RIDERS WITH YOU. The other morning a rider and I had to wait an extra ten minutes due to some moron in front of me taking three riders to the same destination I was going. It's just common sense folks.

Flyby
crewshell View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crewshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2007 at 11:52pm
Its also common sense to ASK to take 3 if there is no line of cars. So come one people... THINK

oh and if your in the front of the line and you dont have the balls to ask to take 3 and I do, NO its not so you can take the ride. (obviously the person farther back should give plenty of time for the front person to ask for 3, if they fail to do so, its fair game)
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 8:01am
To the newbies- this topic has been discussed MANY MANY times before. Flyby has the correct attitude, crewshell on the other had, balls or not, unspoken rules are you wait your turn in line, you dont jump ahead because someone ahead of you doesnt want to pressure a driver to take more than they need. As a slug and driver, I have asked and taken a third. But would not tolerate a slug jumping ahead of others for a ride.

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 8:19am
Hey crewshell, there's one thing that I can say with 100% certainty, and that is, as a driver, I will not tolerate your brand of rudeness and aggression on the line. You are not getting in my car ahead of the others already on the line. Slugging is a cooperative effort to get everybody to work and back home in a reasonable time. It's not about trying to get there ahead of the next guy. Learn to wait your turn like every one else.
crewshell View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crewshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 1:28pm
If the person in the front of the line does not have the courage / initiative / need / desire to ask the driver to take a third it COMPLETELY opens the option for someone behind them to ask. If you don’t want to ask I nor the people behind me should not have to be forced to wait even longer for a ride home due to your lack of self confidence / motivation to get home.

What gives the person standing in front of me the right to delay all others trying to reach their destination? None. Period.

"because someone ahead of you doesnt want to pressure a driver to take more than they need"

Its not about pressure. Sir, Ma'am, will you take 3?
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 1:31pm
Sorry, the first person in the slug line always has the next ride, regardless of who asks for three. Otherwise you invite chaos, especially in a long slug line.
Oosik View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 1:43pm
Jeeeze, that's all I need is for every slug in line to start asking to take three. It wouldn't take me 3 seconds to stop picking up any slugs. Flyby is exactly correct that whether some slug bullies his way to ask a driver to take three, doing so early in the slugging period will take away slugs from other drivers. If a slug is so anxious to get to work, then they should drive. I find it absolutely galling that with cars lined up behind me, some slug (one not using common sense) asks me to take three. I even had one slug (the third one in line) start getting into my small compact car and I had actually started moving when I learned he was still trying to get in my car uninvited. I have kicked out another slug who decided for me that I should take three in my van despite the fact there were cars lined up behind me.

As to the drivers, let's hope you have the fortitude to decide who and how many ride in your car and whether your passengers eat, drink or talk non-stop on the cell phone.
crewshell View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crewshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 1:44pm
"Slugging is a cooperative effort to get everybody to work and back home in a reasonable time."

Your absolutely right. And if there is a line of sluggers and there is no line of cars the first person in line should politely ask the driver if they will take 3. If they do not have the desire / motivation the rest of the people behind them should not suffer and the option goes to the next person in line. Again, this is only the case when there is NOT a line of cars. There are several pick up spots that get drivers one at a time with gaps of 2,3, 5, 10 minutes between them.

I love this standard un-explained argument. "this causes problems" "this invites chaos" "this will lead to other problems" articulate your position, don't simple make subjective statements and try to pass them off as fact.

We live in a society in which no one is looking out for you, but you. Its not my job to coddul the person in the front of the line. Nor is it their right to delay everyone else.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 2:49pm
I didn't say that you cannot ask the driver politely if he can take 3. But if he says yes, the first person in line gets the ride. Sorry, been doing this for 19 years and thats the way it is.
crewshell View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crewshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2007 at 3:18pm
"It's just being polite and considerate of others, and it works."

1st. It does not work, I've had to wait on several occasions more than 15-20 minutes extra because people where unwilling to ask for themselves. (granted this is assume most of the cars would have taken 3)

If a slug is at the front of the line and does not have the motivation or desire to ask for 3 how in earth is that polite or considerate to all of those behind them that have to wait that much longer? The simple and polite thing to do is to ask everytime there is a line of sluggers and not a line of cars. THATS the polite thing to do.

Its not anyone elses job to ask for 3 for those not willing to ask for themselves.

Those that are "selfish, impolite, and rude" are those not willing to ask drivers to take 3.

I've been in very long lines during 100 degree days when the first slug refuses to ask for 3. Tell me, how is this fair and polite to everyone else?

Before you start throwing insults my way, MODERATOR, how about you meet me personally. Way to set a high bar.

Everyone wants everyone to hold each others hand and be babbied. If your not adult enough or do not have the motivation to ask then you do not deserve the seat. Bottom line.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic