Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paying for rides!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 31>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanMichael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 9:24am
I love Slugging. You guys ROCK!! THANKS for the ride.[:p]
Paula View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 10:07am
As a driver, I do not want money to take slugs to the city.

If I wanted money to carry passengers, I'd paint my MINI yellow and stick a TAXI sign on top!

I appreciate what slugs do for me (faster trip) and appreciate that I'm helping the environment by taking a car off the road.

Hopefully the system will continue working the way it is.
jadams08 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jadams08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 1:43pm
The system is done! With rising fuel costs and the HOT lane coming..it wont be long before slugging will be taken out in to the field and put out of its misrey......

Hey if slugging gets killed, will we still keep the website? At least we can have a place to come an complain about the HOT lanes.
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 2:44pm
Jadams08, oh ye of little faith. I doubt very much that Slugging will deminish in any way when/if HOT Lanes come along.

Us Sluggers are in it to win it!
winglover1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winglover1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 8:40pm
I'm all for it being both a rider and driver.
It doesn't matter if they have a free parking spot, what matters is keeping people picking up slugs. If gas prices get too high, there will be much fewer drivers and the slug lines will die a slow death like a real Slug on salt. Would it kill you to chip in a buck? no! I have!

AKA Mr. Bill
Oh Nooo!!!
sandy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 10:50am
This is exactly the point i was trying to make at the beginning when I first posted this. Since then, the price of gas has gone up .75 cents a gallon and it is now over 4/gallon, with no end in sight, the Slug lines (in case you havent noticed, continue to get longer and longer) as drivers continue to become slugs due to the price of gas.

There are less and less drivers everyday, as a slug you have to wait longer and in longer lines.

I myself, dont drive as often anymore.

But most people still think that chipping in a buck per ride is too much. I have given drivers gas $$, I just dont want all drivers to convert to slugs and the only way to prevent that, in my opinion is to chip in for gas $$$.

$2.00 round trip is still WAY cheaper than any other mode of transportation.

Again just my opinion.

Slug away, until the system dies a slow death and you start paying $12/day for going to work, then you will be wishing you had chipped in for gas.

quote:
Originally posted by winglover1

I'm all for it being both a rider and driver.
It doesn't matter if they have a free parking spot, what matters is keeping people picking up slugs. If gas prices get too high, there will be much fewer drivers and the slug lines will die a slow death like a real Slug on salt. Would it kill you to chip in a buck? no! I have!

AKA Mr. Bill
Oh Nooo!!!

AWinner View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 3:28pm
I am a slugger and I believe that drivers should be compensated. ESPECIALLY if lines are consistently long, as they are in many places. This indicates that supply and demand alone is not working and incentives are needed. On the other hand, if there are too many drivers, maybe drivers should pay for slugs. Basically, the supply and demand can be equalized if incentives are added.

Realistically, making this type of drastic change requires lots of planning and perhaps it would not be worth the effort.

The forum needs a polling feature to record the results. Something like 10 drivers want money, 15 don't, 8 slugs are willing to pay, 20 aren't. I made this up - maybe someone with more desire can do the actual, though unofficial count.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 12:52pm
Just a question ... Is there a slug out there who has had a driver pull up to the front of the slug line, strick out his or her hand, and say "give me gas money for a ride"?

Some drivers on this thread said they want slugs to pay a dollar or so for gas -- but have any drivers actually demanded payment at a slug line? Have any of you experienced this? (I do remember there was the driver who used to post here who said he had a "Tips Jar".)

I agree that supply and demand works. Slugging does not guarantee that a slug will get a ride every time they get in line -- but they usually do.

Slugs should always have a back-up option ready before they ever get in a slug line. When I've slugged, my back-up (when the line is long and I don't get a ride in the amount of time I can spare) has been to either take the bus or get back in my car to drive myself (with slugs, hopefully). A basic tenant of slugging has always been no money is exchanged. I don't think that should change.
Scraper View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scraper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 4:03pm
Wow - It is very simple, you get in a car, and you give the driver a buck. If it is raining - $1, if it is snowing $1, if it is sunny $1, if it is a really long line $1, short line $1. One whole dollar to move your carcasses to work and one whole dollar to get it home again where you can spend another night sleeping on the pillow you made from dryer lint. Can we say cheap!! At $4 per gal, gas is expensive; you think $1.00 is going to bring down the whole slugging system. Come on, pry open the wallet and offer a buck. If you are a driver that prefers to pay all expenses, politely say “no thank you, thanks for offering”, that would still be an option. Jeeze!

I have been driving for years, and have never been offered gas money or asked for it. I figure I do save gas by picking up slugs because I get better gas mileage in the HOV lanes, but many of you think $1.00 is too much to ask, REALLY?!?!. GAS IS $4.00 A GALLON, this is no longer the slug line that most of you spend so much time reminiscing about. I used to rarely be asked if I would take an extra person, now it happens most days. The times they have changed. I guess next time I am asked if I can take another person, I will say no and see what that does to all of your supply and demand models that so many of you are so proud of - Pahleeze!! It is a dollar!!! In fact, I encourage all of you drivers to just say no to an extra person, let’s see that change supply real quick.

Someone here actually said, "If I get money it is no longer a mutually agreeable and equitable event. If I am expected to pay (as a rider) my expectations change." - I don't know I am guessing a lawyer wrote this. What does this even mean?!?! What expectations do you currently have of your riders and this equitable event?

Times are hard for all of us right now; I truthfully don’t think $1 is too much to ask. Like so many others, I as a driver am looking at other ways of commuting which don’t include you, sorry and good luck to you.
Scraper View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scraper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 1:35pm
quote:
Originally posted by elisabeth64

Great! With the two bucks you collected from your slugs that morning you can buy a slurpy or a half a gallon of gas!
[V]Let's do the math together - $1 x 4 (2 riders there and 2 riders home)= $4 a day. Do that 5 times a week and your have $20. About a third of a tank of gas. I don't know where you buy your slurpy, but they are ripping you off.

Will you accept penny rolls, or will you demand only paper money? Will you carry change in case your slug only has a $20 bill? What about metro checks, will you accept those too?
[V]Are you kidding? Or trying to make some point?

The milk of human kindness has run dry. Kinda sad.
[V]Because people like you are sucking it dry.

I have always admired when drivers take a third or pick up a slug after 6:00 pm. That is what makes our system so great. I, for one (as a driver), am not willing to compromise that for a lousy $4 a day. We are better than that.
[V]You can still pick up after six, and still take a third, why are you even bringing this into the conversation. I suggested it would throw a wrench into a lot of the supply/demand models being created, but where has anyone said you can no longer do this. We are talking about the high price of gas, it is over $4 a gallon. A rider rides in for free and rides home for free. Yes, the driver gets to ride in the HOV lanes, but so do the riders. A driver also gets to pick up your trash, put up with your perfumes, colognes or other smells and generally has to put up with you. Let's face it, the person receiving the highest value here is the rider. And even at $2 a day, I still think they are recieving the better deal. If I did not need my car during the day, I would slug too.

We are all in this together.
[V]I think that is the point of this whole thread, and for now the drivers are feeling a HUGH pinch.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 31>
  Share Topic