Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paying for rides!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 31>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scraper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 4:52pm
Good quote, bet you were already slugging when Lincoln was president. Maybe you should go back and read it while looking in a mirror, and really try to understand it. Maybe your sons could help you.

I am not saying the ride should go to the highest bidder or the best tipper, I only suggested everyone pay $1.00 to help defer gas prices. Whether you choose to wait for a slug, or the slug has been waiting for you does not have anything to do with the $1.00. The $1.00 is to help defer the rising price of gas. I don’t know why that causes you to be so hostile or aggressive. Really, you should talk to your doctor about increasing your meds. Or maybe have your blood sugar checked.

And as for the person who said “Slugs pay another price in terms of time…the average slug hour is worth $19.88 per hour…50 minute wait time for a ride”. If you are waiting the equivalent of $19.88, you should consider the bus that will cost under $5 and will get you to Burke in less than 50 minutes. But I do thank you for making my point that the lines are getting longer since you have to wait almost an hour. Wouldn’t you rather pay $1, and have ample cars waiting as you arrive at the slug line? And just think, you could probably shave $18.88 off of your commute expense. But if you really want to start adding expenses here, then why not include the wear on your shoes to walk to the slug line, or the lunch you had to eat to get the energy to walk to the slug line. But you go on, “with a reasonable MPG, its probably, at most, about 2.5 gallons” at $4 a gallon that is $10.00 of gas. That is a real expense, round trip that is costing me $20.00, and if I have to wait for slugs, do I get to count the $19.88 an hour too? What about my tires or engine oil or just general wear or the cleaning products I must use so I don’t get flamed for having a dirty car that is simply below your standards.

Let me see if I can idiot proof this statement as best possible - $1 a ride, rain or shine, long line or short, 4:00 or well past 6:00.

Simply one dollar a ride!
HOV3Slug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOV3Slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 4:53pm
quote:
Originally posted by whatever_k

Hmm, I am always the driver and I too have mixed feelings about the slugs paying for rides. Sometimes I do think to myself being a slug has MAJOR benefits and what do I get ungrateful, rude, smelly and sometimes demanding riders. Someone either wants you to turn the air on or roll the window up, or turn the radio up or down. My thought is your getting a free ride sit back and close your eyes. I've noticed over the past few months driving are asking for a lot more benefits. I've thought about being a slug but have not opted for it yet. I look at how some drive and don't think my tinker could handle it.

I've very interested to see if money will exchange hands. Sometimes the riders are not worth the smell I have to endure for 20 minutes or so. Nor is the constant talking on cell phones.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN. You would think slugs would have more compassion with gas prices going up. Hey, they're slugs. At $4 a gallon feel free to just pull over and say "Get your worthless, smelly, cell phone talking ass out of my car - you cheap piece of crap."
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 5:04pm
Hi AWinner. If you look back thru the posts, on April 29th I posted that exact scenario. And that's why I disagree with the proposal to offer $2 to catch a ride.

When the toll lanes open on HOV and VA legislature ends the HOV3 exemption riding for free, then I will join a carpool to save money. But until then I (and I don't think I'm alone here) will not chip in gas money.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2008 at 9:10am
The postings in this thread range from those who want to require slugs to pay for a ride (on one end) to those (like me) who think slugging should abide by its long-standing guideline of "no money exchanges hands".

[:)] So, how about a compromise ...
Drivers wanting to use the slug system and also get some financial help with their gas purchases can post a sign in their car that says something like,
"Slugs, I Will Happily Accept Your $1.00 Contribution To Help Me Pay For Gasoline". And those drivers who do not want the financial help simply won't post a sign.

That way it would be voluntary, and would be based on the slugs' ability and willingness to pay. It would be somewhat analagous to "passing the collection plate" in church.

It's not a perfect solution for either extreme on this issue, so it just might work. [;)]
HOV3Slug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOV3Slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2008 at 10:29am
Let's keep this simple. If you're a slug and want to give the driver money - do it.

Quite frankly, drivers are moving to the bus. Gas plus parking - $22+ a day. Bus round trip - $8 a day.
toomuchcoffeelady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2008 at 10:52am
I don’t know why that causes you to be so hostile or aggressive. Really, you should talk to your doctor about increasing your meds.Or maybe have your blood sugar checked.

Excuse me? Are you hinting that diabetic people are assholes or something? Because if you are, that's really insulting and ignorant. Be grateful for your own good health and don't go making light of others' medical issues.

work in Chinatown, live on Rte 3. Looking for 17 to L'Enfant ride.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2008 at 2:28pm
toomuchcoffeelady,

To whom are you addressing your comments above? I surely hope that all posters above are not a collective "you", and that you intended to direct your hostile comments toward a particular individual. [?][?][?]

In the future, if you are directing comments to an individual, please indicate that. Otherwise, you might offend and possibly enrage other posters who have absoulutely no ax to grind with you.

Thank you, and happy sluggin'! [:)]
Scraper View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scraper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2008 at 2:37pm
I think toomuchcoffeelady was referring to me. I did not mean to insult everyone with diabetes. Being diabetic myself, I know that one symptom can be irritability and hostility because of high sugar levels. I was simply offering that they should have that checked with their doctor and get the proper treatment.
toomuchcoffeelady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2008 at 3:51pm
quote:
Originally posted by Scraper

I think toomuchcoffeelady was referring to me. I did not mean to insult everyone with diabetes. Being diabetic myself, I know that one symptom can be irritability and hostility because of high sugar levels. I was simply offering that they should have that checked with their doctor and get the proper treatment.

Yeah, I did mean you Scraper - hence the C&P of your post in mine. ;) I was recently diagnosed with diabetes myself, and not realizing you are diabetic also, I misinterpreted your comment as insulting people with the condition. I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

ETA - sorry if I offended anyone.

work in Chinatown, live on Rte 3. Looking for 17 to L'Enfant ride.
kirtiraj View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirtiraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 11:25am
This is a very interesting read. Just wanted to contribute my 2 cents here.
Slugging is/was a really great concept and has worked. So did the mortgage industry till the house prices started falling down. (They had models predicting success of sub-prime mortgages based on previous years, this system failed when house prices started falling) I mention this because a lot of people have made arguments saying that "it has worked for years now", "dont try to fix something that is not broken" etc..
With the gas prices so high, car pooling (and I am also inclined to do so) is becoming a better option. A lot of offices are now encouraging car pooling by creating intranet sites and forums. I would definitely like it if someone would contribute towards my gas/toll bills. Whatever amount it is.

Maybe I am at the wrong forum and should go to car pool sites. [8D]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 31>
  Share Topic