Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paying for rides!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 31>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 12:13pm
quote:
Originally posted by kirtiraj

This is a very interesting read. Just wanted to contribute my 2 cents here.
Slugging is/was a really great concept and has worked. So did the mortgage industry till the house prices started falling down. (They had models predicting success of sub-prime mortgages based on previous years, this system failed when house prices started falling) I mention this because a lot of people have made arguments saying that "it has worked for years now", "dont try to fix something that is not broken" etc..
With the gas prices so high, car pooling (and I am also inclined to do so) is becoming a better option. A lot of offices are now encouraging car pooling by creating intranet sites and forums. I would definitely like it if someone would contribute towards my gas/toll bills. Whatever amount it is.

Maybe I am at the wrong forum and should go to car pool sites. [8D]

Yes, you are posting in the wrong forum. You should be posting in a forum intended for the posting of logical fallacies. [:0]

Your particular logical fallacy is known as a false analogy. In a false analogy one introduces an unrelated topic and claims that it is analogous with the issue under consideration. Conclusions about the unrelated issue are then falsely attributed to the main issue. To paraphrase: It has been said that slugging isn't broke so don't fix it. They said the same thing about the mortgage industry and we all know it collapsed. The false conclusion is that slugging will also necessarily collapse.

I was one of the posters whose opinion was that it shouldn't be fixed because it isn't broken. This, of course, is a couple of logical fallacies itself, being an unsupported claim that there is no problem coupled with an appeal to antiquity "It's always been this way, therefore it should not change."

On second thought, you are posting in the correct forum. [:o)]
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 2:30pm
quote:
Originally posted by Jody

Hi AWinner. If you look back thru the posts, on April 29th I posted that exact scenario. And that's why I disagree with the proposal to offer $2 to catch a ride.

When the toll lanes open on HOV and VA legislature ends the HOV3 exemption riding for free, then I will join a carpool to save money. But until then I (and I don't think I'm alone here) will not chip in gas money.

Of course Jodi, when the HOT lanes start charging SOVs $1.00 or more a mile, slugs will offer an instant savings to drivers in addition to the time saved by allowing access to the HOV lanes for a speedy commute that they offer now.

I think it would be funny to see a car pullup to the Bob's line with a sign offeing rides for $X.00 each way. Unless its raining, snowing, and the lines are running slow, that car will not get many takers. I know I won't pay to ride, nor will I charge when I drive.

Interesting how first the VA DOT legislators have figured out a way to profit from our forced commuting solutions like HOV lanes / carpooling, now slug drivers are looking for similar ways to pad their hip pockets. Variations on the same theme: tax the workers!

Has anyone thought of the legal issues when $$ changes hands? Driver charges slug > slug has an expectation of performance > driver assumes liability for performing service = legal contract.

What happens if there is an accident? What is your liebility? How would your insurance company feel about you performing a "For Hire" transportation service on a residential license and insurance policy?

Keep Slugging Free!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 9:17pm
quote:
Originally posted by raymond

quote:
Originally posted by Jody

Hi AWinner. If you look back thru the posts, on April 29th I posted that exact scenario. And that's why I disagree with the proposal to offer $2 to catch a ride.

When the toll lanes open on HOV and VA legislature ends the HOV3 exemption riding for free, then I will join a carpool to save money. But until then I (and I don't think I'm alone here) will not chip in gas money.

Of course Jodi, when the HOT lanes start charging SOVs $1.00 or more a mile, slugs will offer an instant savings to drivers in addition to the time saved by allowing access to the HOV lanes for a speedy commute that they offer now.

I think it would be funny to see a car pullup to the Bob's line with a sign offeing rides for $X.00 each way. Unless its raining, snowing, and the lines are running slow, that car will not get many takers. I know I won't pay to ride, nor will I charge when I drive.

Interesting how first the VA DOT legislators have figured out a way to profit from our forced commuting solutions like HOV lanes / carpooling, now slug drivers are looking for similar ways to pad their hip pockets. Variations on the same theme: tax the workers!

Has anyone thought of the legal issues when $$ changes hands? Driver charges slug > slug has an expectation of performance > driver assumes liability for performing service = legal contract.

What happens if there is an accident? What is your liebility? How would your insurance company feel about you performing a "For Hire" transportation service on a residential license and insurance policy?

Keep Slugging Free!

raymond - not surprising but your argument is idiotic. What happens if there is an accident without $ changing hands? How do you perceive it being any different than if $ does change hands? A contract is a contract regardless of the price.
Scraper View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scraper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 10:50pm
Raymond- Are you saying that if there is an accident, since a slug pays nothing I have no liability? Really? Actually, Raymond that is another cost that we as drivers are responsible for, it is called insurance. And as for operating a “for hire” business, do you really think by collecting a dollar from you would allow me to quit my day job?

And now my favorite of your idiotic reply – “now slug drivers are looking for similar ways to pad their hip pockets. Variations on the same theme: tax the workers!”

Yes, Raymond it is a conspiracy for all of us slug drivers. You see we have secret meetings to force gas prices to unthinkable amounts so that we could collect $1.00 for a ride from a slug and pad our hip pockets allowing us to squander those ill gotten gains to buy a quart of gas. I feel so ashamed to be found out.
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 9:19pm
Scraper, shut up before you give away the secret code word too!

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!
blacksky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacksky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 9:58pm
Ok,

I actually saw a car at the Pentagon, looked like it pulled up to the rt 17 line with a piggy bank on the dashboard with a "feed me" sign on it. If you got in this car, what did the signs pasted to the seats in the back say? Just curious, as I've never seen such overt signaling before in the lines. [:0]
Scraper View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scraper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 12:15pm
At the next secret drivers meeting - we will be finishing the discussion on how to place trash in your car to inspire slug’s creative writing abilities and we will begin the new topic of how slugs just love it when we leave our windows down on days when the temps are greater than 100. We might even have a guest speaker on how to choose the proper radio stations as to not offend the delicate ears of our beloved slugs. Of course, dues are still $1.00 so that we may continue to “pad our hip pockets”.
pwbnd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwbnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 2:58pm
If it's not worth it to pick up slugs, stop picking them up.
springfieldslugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote springfieldslugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 3:50pm
Scraper... I don't like your sarcasm at all. I agree with pwbnd, stop picking up slugs! And I think this message board should not be used for such unproductive comments... it's meant to be informational!
toomuchcoffeelady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 4:24pm
quote:
Originally posted by Scraper

At the next secret drivers meeting - we will be finishing the discussion on how to place trash in your car to inspire slug’s creative writing abilities and we will begin the new topic of how slugs just love it when we leave our windows down on days when the temps are greater than 100. We might even have a guest speaker on how to choose the proper radio stations as to not offend the delicate ears of our beloved slugs. Of course, dues are still $1.00 so that we may continue to “pad our hip pockets”.

Actually, Springfield, this post is hilarious.

But Scraper, you forgot to add the topic of "what scent of air freshener to keep in the glove compartment for when our beloved slugs get gas."

work in Chinatown, live on Rte 3. Looking for 17 to L'Enfant ride.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 31>
  Share Topic