Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Summertime A/C

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Summertime A/C
    Posted: 09 May 2008 at 8:42pm
Thinkin ahead to the warmer days of June, July and August. I have to say when I'm driving alone I try to conserve fuel by opening the windows (half-way?) and taking in the fresh air rather than running the a/c. Sorry riders, as the weather gets warmer, don't be suprised if you have to put up with the warm wind blowing through your hair cruising down 395/95. At $3.75+/gal it's the least we can do. Guys, take off those jackets, ladies, tie yer hairs back...

Flyby
spectrenav View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spectrenav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 9:50pm
I recommend mentioning that to your riders before they hop in with you.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 1:44pm
That is a foolish thing to do. Modern cars do not lose fuel economy when running air conditioning, at least not an appreciable amount.

On the other hand, you can lose 10-20% of your MPG by driving with your windows partially open due to the greatly increased aerodynamic drag.
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 7:58am
I'm not a Mythbuster (and I have never played one on TV) but I believe that the worst thing you can do for mileage is to roll down the windows or, in a pickup truck, put down your tailgate. Note that I am not recommending turning off the A/C and keeping the windows closed. [:o)]
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 11:18am
Edmunds.com has an article discussing 10 ways to improve fuel economy.

Here's item #9 from the article about using our air conditioning versus rolling down the windows: "Running your air conditioner does cause your vehicle to consume more fuel, but driving with your windows rolled down can be even worse due to the increase of drag on the vehicle. If you are driving slowly, such as around town or in city traffic, then you are better off leaving your windows open, if at all possible. For highway driving, roll up the windows and turn the air conditioning on." [:)]

All 10 items are at http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/103164/article.html .
blacksky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacksky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 8:33pm
Ask any drag racer...the best way to slow down your car, thereby ruining your timed run is to have an open window. I did that once, and learned my lesson the hard way...really bad run. It is like driving with an open parachute. Close the window, turn on the A/C and see how much better your gas mileage is compared to the open window on your drive to work or home...and your slugs will be gleeful instead of sweaty and wind-blown. If you're drag racing ON AN APPROVED TRACK, roll up the windows, do not turn on the A/C (if you even have it), and go for it!
springfieldslugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote springfieldslugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 4:15pm
They really beat you up on those responses Flyby, didn't they? But I have to agree... for lots of reasons... and most important being about the facts... that you do not conserve more fuel by rolling down the windows vs. turning the A/C on. Before you jump to conclusions, I'd suggest check the facts first then lay out your arguments.

If gas prices are hurting you like everyone else, you may want to try slugging...
vdix View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vdix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 2:33pm
I have a story from 2 years ago. In the height of the summer and one of the few 100+ degree days a driver comes by at the Pentagon to pick up riders going to Tacketts. I noticed his windows were down but figured he was airing out his car since the Pentagon is nothing but surface parking. Well he not only did not turn on the AC, but when we got to the mixing bowl area he rolled the windows up so that the windows were a little more than cracked, and still did not turn on the AC. Needless to say I never rode with him again.
Moody Girl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 4:09pm
Hello Everyone,

To the drivers of the slugging community, I would like to request that you make your slugs aware that you will not be running your A/C. There are some that become overheated easily and on some occasions become physically ill. By making them aware of this before entering your car, you can save them the embarassment and your carpet and upholstery from an unnecessary scrubbin [;)]

On several occasions last summer, a driver would pull up to the line with their windows up and their fan running, pick up their slugs and once they pulled onto the interstate, notify everyone that they would not be using their A/C. This is NOT COOL! If you decide to play this card.....you get what you deserve! [xx(]

To my fellow slugs, I would like to request that you not condemn a driver and refrain from making rude comments to them if they choose not to turn on their A/C. After all, it is their car and their choice. I am sure there are several riders that are just fine with the windows down and I am sure that they will be happy to take that ride. [8D]

Please keep in mind that gas prices are rising, the economy is going to hell in a hand basket, Mother Nature is kicking us in the ass on a regular basis and we are all a little on edge. So, please be a little nicer to each other. [:)]

Just a reminder....it all boils down to common courtesy.

dudte View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 11:24am
I'm perplexed by the apparent inability of some to demonstrate common courtesies. I'm not from the south but southern (and common) hospitality suggests a mutual concern for others. If I am the host (driver) it is incumbent on me to ensure my guests (riders) are comfortable. Just as I would if they visited my home. If I am a guest (rider) it is my obligation to induce as little imposition on my host (driver) as possible. This hospitable behavior on both parts provides significant overlap of mutual concern and comfort.

I know my little car heats up quickly in the winter. I check w/ my riders to ensure they are comfortable. If I were alone I would ride with the windows down, the iPod blasting (my music), and at a high rate of speed. However, when I have guests, I assume not everyone appreciates the stiff breeze, my eclectic music tastes (3 Dog Night, Iron Maiden, Charlie Daniels, and Rhiana), and fast driving is almost universally unsettling. So, I slow down, roll up the windows, put on the A/C, and turn the radio to classical or jazz. Most riders express thanks for the ride and often for the music. And we all get there at least as happy as when we left the slug line. Not less. I would be a failure as a host, even in my own car where I am god, if my guests were unhappy, unsettled, uncomfortable, or displeased.

And I know, when I moved here, I saw the Mason/Dixon line quite a ways north of here. Isn't that where we checked our rude? By definition?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic