Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boycott Potomac Mills Mall

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceejay2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2008 at 8:24pm
quote:
Originally posted by Stoutlvrsbeauty
Ceejay, Wayne, HOV - continue to shop of PM, avoid PM slugs. Do what your conscience tells you is right. The rest of us have our own reasons for fighting this.

no Stoutlvrsbeauty, it's not at all wrong for you to fight for what you think is right. it's a basic right and responsibility of everyone in this country to fight for what they think is right. i support you in your willingness to fight.

it's not a matter for my conscience, it's a question of practicalities. as i recall how this started, the first day that the PM security forces started to enforce slugging regulations, the call for boycott echoed loud and long here. there was no effort to contact the management company, to try to work out another solution; it was just let's boycott, and if you don't boycott, you aren't a good supporter of the slug system. all dissenting voices to the boycott were criticized, including mine.

i am not saying that YOU did that, Stoutlver. i don't recall that you did at all. it's just a pity that those of us who do not agree with the boycott are trashed. you see, my concern is that if PM experiences even the smallest loss of income in the time period of the boycott, whether it is due to the boycott, or the economy, or the fact that everyone is on vacation, it's going to be blamed on the boycott and used as a reason to cut the extra parking slots that have been granted at PM. i'm concerned about the overall effect on the slug system. i'm concerned about people like you who need to park at PM to commute. i'm not your enemy. all i asked for was for cooler heads to prevail, and for a solution to be worked out with the management of the mall.

i always did believe in the saying you get more flies with honey than with vinegar. we skipped honey and when straight to gasoline.

and as concerns this board and a dissenting voice, it's obviously a case of "free speech for me, but not for thee" if you don't support the boycott. trust me, i know!
EE2000 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EE2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2008 at 2:07pm
TO be honest, I do not think a boycott of PM is going to hurt them all that much, PM sees a lot of business from non commuters as well that they would do just fine if there was a boycott.

There has to be a reason that in the past few month's PM has started enforcing the parking limit that has been there for years, the number of commuters vs the number of parking spaces has gone up . So now commuters are parking where they are not suppose to, so PM is now doing something about it. Can't fault a private business for enforcing something that commuters do not have a right to.

PM is not a public parking lot, it is privately owned and maintained, therefore they have every right to enforce the parking restrictions how they see fit, short of violence of course.

If you do not like how they are enforcing the rules, then park at another lot. If more people started parking at the lots that are sitting empty around the county then bus service/ more slugs would go to those as that would be where people are.

Go ahead and boycott and complain, however please keep in mind to the outsiders ( those who don't slug ) it looks petty and stupid that people are complaining over something that is free, and they have no guaranteed right too. Then they will laugh when PM decides it doesn't want to put up with the hassle, or liability and says no more commuter parking.
Late rider View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Late rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 10:19am
quote:
Originally posted by EE2000

TO be honest, I do not think a boycott of PM is going to hurt them all that much, PM sees a lot of business from non commuters as well that they would do just fine if there was a boycott.

There has to be a reason that in the past few month's PM has started enforcing the parking limit that has been there for years, the number of commuters vs the number of parking spaces has gone up . So now commuters are parking where they are not suppose to, so PM is now doing something about it. Can't fault a private business for enforcing something that commuters do not have a right to.

PM is not a public parking lot, it is privately owned and maintained, therefore they have every right to enforce the parking restrictions how they see fit, short of violence of course.

If you do not like how they are enforcing the rules, then park at another lot. If more people started parking at the lots that are sitting empty around the county then bus service/ more slugs would go to those as that would be where people are.

Go ahead and boycott and complain, however please keep in mind to the outsiders ( those who don't slug ) it looks petty and stupid that people are complaining over something that is free, and they have no guaranteed right too. Then they will laugh when PM decides it doesn't want to put up with the hassle, or liability and says no more commuter parking.

I think this guy is Wayne but just changed to a different name.[:D]
He has only one post so far LOL
EE2000 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EE2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 11:33am
quote:
Originally posted by Late rider
I think this guy is Wayne but just changed to a different name.

No sorry I am a girl, and have no idea who Wayne is. Yes I only have one post because I signed up yesterday thus making that my first post.

I know what its like to go to a place of business and not be able to find parking because others have parked there for something completely unrelated to the place of business, they then lose my money and they sure aren't making money from the others. It sometimes happens where I work at, but then again we went out our parking spaces so we only have us to blame when our clients can't park.

I seriously believe what happened was PM was tired of being taken advantage of by people taking up more spaces then PM allowed for. PM is not at fault for the system being taken advantage of, but they are doing something about it. Maybe you should be directing your anger at those who park where they shouldn't at PM.

The argument that parkers are out by 5PM is not valid ( well at this time ) , it doesn't matter, during the summer the peak time is not after 5PM but during the day since school is out and kids and parents alike are looking for something to do.

Again boycott PM but you also need to look at it realistically in order for anything to come out of boycotting the mall you would need more then a few hundred boycotting in order for it to have any impact on the stores and the mall.

I don't see PM backing down and saying OK here is another 200 spots, and I don't see them stopping whatever it takes to make sure that commuters are staying within the area designed for commuters. It is a business, not commuters own private oasis of parking during the work day.

** I have no vested interested in either. I don't slug, nor do I shop at PM. Hell I live in Sterling so its much easier and closer for me to go to Leesburg Outlet Mall. I would slug but I rarely see a slug car at Herndon Monroe Park and Ride, well atleast when I am there catching the bus.

EE2000
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Late rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 11:45am
quote:

quote:
I think this guy is Wayne but just changed to a different name.

No sorry I am a girl, and have no idea who Wayne is. Yes I only have one post because I signed up yesterday thus making that my first post.

I know what its like to go to a place of business and not be able to find parking because others have parked there for something completely unrelated to the place of business, they then lose my money and they sure aren't making money from the others. It sometimes happens where I work at, but then again we went out our parking spaces so we only have us to blame when our clients can't park.

I seriously believe what happened was PM was tired of being taken advantage of by people taking up more spaces then PM allowed for. PM is not at fault for the system being taken advantage of, but they are doing something about it. Maybe you should be directing your anger at those who park where they shouldn't at PM.

The argument that parkers are out by 5PM is not valid ( well at this time ) , it doesn't matter, during the summer the peak time is not after 5PM but during the day since school is out and kids and parents alike are looking for something to do.

Again boycott PM but you also need to look at it realistically in order for anything to come out of boycotting the mall you would need more then a few hundred boycotting in order for it to have any impact on the stores and the mall.

I don't see PM backing down and saying OK here is another 200 spots, and I don't see them stopping whatever it takes to make sure that commuters are staying within the area designed for commuters. It is a business, not commuters own private oasis of parking during the work day.

** I have no vested interested in either. I don't slug, nor do I shop at PM. Hell I live in Sterling so its much easier and closer for me to go to Leesburg Outlet Mall. I would slug but I rarely see a slug car at Herndon Monroe Park and Ride, well atleast when I am there catching the bus.

EE2000

So why would you even waste your time and reply to the posts here? I see that you are checking back at the side often to see if there are replies to your post. LOL
Wayne (girl) you are caught. [:D]
EE2000 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EE2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 12:06pm
Again if I were Wayne then you would see it through they I write. People tend to write things the same way, even when they are pretending to be someone else, since it is the little mannerisms ( such as overly using caps lock, or some such thing )that give them a way. Oops maybe I gave away to much. Look I could care less if you think I am Wayne or not.

I was giving you someone else's perspective of the situation. I saw it on NBC 4 News yesterday morning, and really what ticked me off was the woman they interviewed, then the news showing empty lots just waiting to be used. It just screamed of entitlement to me. So I posted about it, not only here but in another forum ( you could find it doing a simple google search, and yes EE are the initials of my screen name there. ) My whole point was and still is, it makes sluggers/commuters come off very badly, PM is not coming off so bad for the simple fact that there is another lot that commuters can use but it sits empty because it is less convenient.

EE2000.

Wayne View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 1:59pm
EE, it doesnt matter that your trying to be objective. SOme of these poeple have been taught since childhood that they are special and as such everything they want they should have. Its what is fundamentally wrong with this country, state and county. Everyone has a sense of entitlement. If it wasnt for over $4 a gallon gas, the commuter lot wouldnt even fill the nearly 1000 spots PM gives to commuters, though they are only obligated to give 275.

I agree slugging for whatever reason is good for the environment as well as helping the community, but PM is not a tax payer funded parking lot. It is a business center that is open to the public though it is private property. Hence why when I catch shop lifters at my store we have them banned from the mall....which means if they come back to mall they are arrested for criminal trespassing.

I still think the best option was when VDOT wanted to build and maintain a free 6 level parking garage here in PWC. But the Board of Supervisors said no to it. So #1, complain to Supervisors to let the state fund a free access parking garage. #2, have you seen how many out of county cars are parked at PM to slug? Quite a few. WHy should these people, who do not live nor pay PWC taxes, be able to use OUR commuter lots, thereby leaving PWC commuters SOL......Shouldnt slugs from other counties lobby their county govt to do somethign and creat more parking lots for them??

See, I can see it from every point of view, and being an objective observer as well as someone who believes in fair play, can try to come up with a rational, logical solution...though I have noticed that cooler heads here seem to be beheaded as screams of "For the People", "We Demand as tax payers, " Etc.... seem to rule the day.

And yes, I do work at PM. I have been working here for nearly 5 yrs and I do pick up co-workers and others I know who work at the mall at different stores and we ride in together. We were doing this before $4 a gallon gas and before screams of "For the Environment" were hip and cool. I have a hybrid and have since they were first put on the market. I recycle, I refuse to use plastic or paper bags, I use a reusable bag I bought which helps cut down on trash and saves a few trees, My home is equiped with all Energy Star/Saver appliances, I use only low impact florescent light bulbs, and instead of cranking up a loud, energy hog of a heating/Air system, I use low impact/wattage fans.

But because I do not think slugs should have 4000 parking spots that makes me Mr. Anti-Environment, oil Co loving, pro-establishment.... Even though many of you who slug are the ultimate pro-establishment since you are federal employees. hmmmm........ Enjoy, Im sure trying to be sensible and logical will be wasted on many of the "I want, give me" crowd.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Late rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 2:14pm
quote:

Again if I were Wayne then you would see it through they I write. People tend to write things the same way, even when they are pretending to be someone else, since it is the little mannerisms ( such as overly using caps lock, or some such thing )that give them a way. Oops maybe I gave away to much. Look I could care less if you think I am Wayne or not.

I was giving you someone else's perspective of the situation. I saw it on NBC 4 News yesterday morning, and really what ticked me off was the woman they interviewed, then the news showing empty lots just waiting to be used. It just screamed of entitlement to me. So I posted about it, not only here but in another forum ( you could find it doing a simple google search, and yes EE are the initials of my screen name there. ) My whole point was and still is, it makes sluggers/commuters come off very badly, PM is not coming off so bad for the simple fact that there is another lot that commuters can use but it sits empty because it is less convenient.

EE2000.

Maybe you are Green then, the PM marketing director snooping around the forums to see what's going on. Or maybe one of the security guy in a helmet[^]
EE2000 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EE2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 2:59pm
quote:

quote:

EE2000.

Maybe you are Green then, the PM marketing director snooping around the forums to see what's going on. Or maybe one of the security guy in a helmet[^]

Or maybe, just maybe I am actually someone completely different from those two considering I work with the dead, also I don't even own a car. And if you are going to guess at who I am can I get guesses with better names.

My point was, I wanted to state how you all looked to those of us on the outside of all of this. NBC 4 news yesterday morning is what really did it for me, I saw the previous news cast about PM and slugging, but yesterday's newscast did not show sluggers in a favorable light, you come off looking like spoiled children who had there favorite toy taken away from them.

The simple fact is that while you have the right to complain about the parking, you really don't considering that there are other usable lots in the area that do not get full, and the fact that PM has no obligation other then the original amount of spaces, to give commuters more spaces.

Think of it this way, you are given a free cookie at the bakery then one day you decide one is not enough and want more the bakery then says only one and that is it. You get mad and then state that you will not do business with them again. You see it is a very immature thing to do, as well as greedy ( ooo I used a word Wayne did, that's it I must be him now. ). While not the same, it is. You were given something for free, then complained that it was not enough now you want more.

I don't think I can explain my viewpoint any better then what I already tried too.

ETA: If you really want to make sure I am not Wayne/Green ( are they suppose to be the same person because I am not sure.) Then do a google search for this: Commuters boycott over a parking space. It takes you straight to a thread on this subject.

EE2000

New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Late rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 3:41pm
quote:

quote:

quote:

EE2000.

Or maybe, just maybe I am actually someone completely different from those two considering I work with the dead, also I don't even own a car.

Wayne, now you say that you don't have a car and how about your previous post about your customer not finding spaces because you park there??? Or should I say Ms. Green?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718>
  Share Topic