Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boycott Potomac Mills Mall

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 18>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoutlvrsbeauty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 4:42pm
Thank you Slugger! (here's where I courtsey politely).
Stoutlvrsbeauty View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoutlvrsbeauty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 4:51pm
Toomuchcoffelady, while we certainly appreciate being called assholes, and I truly mean that, imagine a huge chunk of the parking spaces from 17 suddenly taken away. And there you are as a driver trying to get to work in a timely manner ready to pick up slugs who aren't there - because - oh! could it be because they have no place to park to be a slug and get into your car! Why are you irritated at the Potomac Mills slugs? Too much caffiene? Besides, we're not talking about being rude to drivers as in your other blog, we're talking about the fundamentals of getting to work. Gosh, the nerve of us!
toomuchcoffeelady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 5:03pm
quote:
Originally posted by Stoutlvrsbeauty

Toomuchcoffelady, while we certainly appreciate being called assholes, and I truly mean that, imagine a huge chunk of the parking spaces from 17 suddenly taken away. And there you are as a driver trying to get to work in a timely manner ready to pick up slugs who aren't there - because - oh! could it be because they have no place to park to be a slug and get into your car! Why are you irritated at the Potomac Mills slugs? Too much caffiene?

No, the entitlement is what irritates me. Yes, it was nice of PM to give slugs the extra 600+ or however many spaces. They went above and beyond their contract. Problem is, nobody's obligated - legally or ethically - to continue to be "nice". How would you like it if random strangers just drove past your house and said "screw it, Beauty's never home during the day... let's park in (her?) driveway!"

I mean, if you can get a ride to work without paying anything more power to you, but nobody has a God-given right to a free parking space.

And I was calling the slugs I've met from 17 assholes, not you.

work in Chinatown, live on Rte 3. Looking for 17 to L'Enfant ride.
Wayne View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 5:24pm
The Mall may be public domain, but it is private property. thats the point I was making. Its funny you dont want the county to raise taxes to build a publicly funded garage, but you complain when a place that gives free parking starts to enforce its ruloes so it can continue to make money and abide by its contracts with tenants. I do all I can for the environment but I also understand that the mall is a business and a businesses first priority is to its profit margins. Would any of you be against paying to park at PM? $5 a day for unlimited parking? No you wouldnt, youd **** a brick thats what youd do. Talk about selfish. And as for helping the environment, I own and drive a hybrid and have for a while. WHat do you drive? Have you seen how many gas guzzling SUV's are in the commuter lot?
I understand your point of view and i do sympathize, but PM is under no obligation except for 275 spots. Yet they give 950 for commuters.
If gas was 99 cents a gallon, the 950 spots would not fill up and many of you would drive in to work. Now, how much of this is about the environment and all and how much is about your greed, stinginess & down right self sense of entitlement?? Answer that truthfully.
Lobby PWC to pay PM for as many spots as needed and Im sure they would, but i think it is onyl fair to compensate a place if its property is used. Unless its kewl for me to park at your place during the day since you wont be there???
Late rider View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Late rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 9:32pm
quote:
Originally posted by Wayne

Would any of you be against paying to park at PM? $5 a day for unlimited parking?

At first, you asked $1 and now $5, why? Maybe you are the owner of PM after all but not the security guard with the helmet riding the segway[:D]
beenhere2long View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beenhere2long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 8:35am
Oh, Wayne, you're so pathetic. If your job was at Macy's in DC how many people would YOU pick up in your Hybrid? You know your answer and so do we. Most of the people who choose to drive Hybrids do so so that they can drive alone. And how many people does that help get off the road? Why don't you do something productive today like ask one of your co-workers or another PM employee if they'd like to carpool into work. That way, 2 or 3 of you will only take up ONE parking place at PM!
Stoutlvrsbeauty View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoutlvrsbeauty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 9:38am
You know gang, here's the deal. I don't believe anyone feels entitled. I don't believe any expects a "free lunch". What I do believe is this: Any one of you naysayers would fight for what was working well for you should it be taken away. There were LOTS of benefits for all parties with having that one section of lot designated for commuters. I won't name them - we can all figure them out. The fact that a retailer (COSTCO) would complain about parking when there were still so many spaces available is just downright petulent. The retailers had no shortage of customer spaces (contract or not), the commuters had a place to park not in front of an entrance, everyone was happy. So let's put the righteous indignation aside, and remember that you too would fight for what you wanted.

Now hopefully we can be done with the petty bickering. If you don't want to help, don't. But if it's not your fight, then stay out of it.
luvnslgn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvnslgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 10:25am
quote:
Originally posted by Wayne
[br but PM is under no obligation except for 275 spots. Yet they give 950 for commuters.
If gas was 99 cents a gallon, the 950 spots would not fill up and many of you would drive in to work. Now, how much of this is about the environment and all and how much is about your greed, stinginess & down right self sense of entitlement??

Unfortunately Wayne, you are over-generalizing. I personally just don't want to drive, and would be more than willing to pay a nominal fee for parking and commuting, even if gas was $.50.gallon. I suspect I am not alone. I have had more positive experiences than not, and personally, I think society as a whole could benefit from more diverse people spending time together, even if it is for a brief time. This would have been unheard of 50 years ago, esp in VA. If I had somewhere to park in town, I would, but I am more than grateful for the oppty to commute this way.

As for PM, many sluggers DO constitute their consumer base.
aesthetic View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aesthetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 10:28am
quote:
Originally posted by Stoutlvrsbeauty

You know gang, here's the deal. I don't believe anyone feels entitled. I don't believe any expects a "free lunch". What I do believe is this: Any one of you naysayers would fight for what was working well for you should it be taken away. There were LOTS of benefits for all parties with having that one section of lot designated for commuters. I won't name them - we can all figure them out. The fact that a retailer (COSTCO) would complain about parking when there were still so many spaces available is just downright petulent. The retailers had no shortage of customer spaces (contract or not), the commuters had a place to park not in front of an entrance, everyone was happy. So let's put the righteous indignation aside, and remember that you too would fight for what you wanted.

Now hopefully we can be done with the petty bickering. If you don't want to help, don't. But if it's not your fight, then stay out of it.

Exactly. Thank you. I just think that slugging is a very good thing in all aspects, and if we are not TRULY jeopardizing your customers parking spaces, then stop complaining, be a little more open and just let something thats works work.

I think all of those parking spaces at the back end of the lanes by the main entrance (by PNC) could be alotted to commuters as well as the spaces more towards COSTCO.

Question: how does the PM know whether or not a car is that of a commuter? What if someone parked in a different lot other than the ones we have been referring to? Would they just take the chance and tow a possible PM employee or mall walker's car? Do they have a running list of commuter's license plates? Do they have cameras in the parking lots and spend take their time during the day reviewing the video to see who walked form their car to the slug lines or the bus stop???

I would just like to add this.... I think slugging is huge... I think it helps the people and the environment drastically and is a revolutionary and ingenious method of commuting, helping save the earth, saving money, and getting to work on time. Realize this and stop being so pro-establishment. Be more pro-environment AND pro-the-people AND pro-not-having-to-struggle-because-of-ridiculously-unfounded-gas-prices.
Batl Cri View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batl Cri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 10:40am
Thank you Beauty for being the voice of reason. Now, let's do something productive. If you put an opinion here, sign the petition. I have forwarded the petition link to people I know who don't park at PM. They are signing as "concerned citizens." Perhaps all my blogging-slugging friends can do the same thing!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 18>
  Share Topic