Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Springfield Plaza Lot Closure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c_quintarelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 7:12pm
Splitting the lines between the Backlick Lot & the Gambrill lot is impractical. If we did this, we would need to form two new slug lines to get home at night.
quote:
Originally posted by sluDgE
There is available commuter parking at the 2 underutilized VDOT commuter lots at Backlick Rd/F-S Parkway and at Gambrill Rd/FC Parkway (about 200 parking spaces at each one) -- and there still may be the potential for more parking at Springfield Mall.

thekazem View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thekazem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by c_quintarelli

Splitting the lines between the Backlick Lot & the Gambrill lot is impractical. If we did this, we would need to form two new slug lines to get home at night.
Originally posted by sluDgE

I say we try Springfield Mall, which is supposed to have 580 spaces according to the Fairfax County website.

If the owners of Springfield Plaza don't budge then we have less than a week to coordinate this. We have to pick somewhere...
ledishva View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ledishva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 8:11am
Here is the reply I received from Herrity's office. It appears VDOT has been aware this could potentially happen for over 2 months.

Thank you for including a scan of the notice from the Fairfax DOT--we had heard about it but not actually seen a copy, so I do appreciate it!

Supervisor Herrity just learned the details of this situation yesterday evening. According to the Fairfax Department of Transportation's Director, the county did not want this to happen as it's well aware how great the slugging system is (when I spoke with Pat about this morning, he agreed wholeheartedly). The contract between the county and A.J. Dwoskin and Associates, the property owner, was supposed to end the last day of December and the county was able to extend it for a month. Dwoskin is not interested in extending it though the county has tried to convince them otherwise. The county DOT is trying to work with the owners of the Old Circuit City site about leasing spaces there but I do understand that won't help us in the short term. I spoke with Scott Robinson, Supervisor McKay's Chief of Staff, about Springfield Mall spaces as you have suggested and he is working with the mall to have this considered.
It's frustrating because Pat does realize that the two locations cited on the letter from FCDOT as alternate locations are not as convenient as Springfield Plaza; the short notice given to commuters just compounds this frustration.

I will keep in touch with Mr. Robinson on this issue, as though it is located in the Lee District under Supervisor McKay, Pat definitely has residents in the Springfield District who are affected by this change. He does hope an agreement can be arranged with Dwoskin, and would support something with them even if it is short term so commuters at least have more time to make other arrangements. I know he will work with Supervisor McKay to do whatever can be done to help alleviate this awful situation.

Peyton Onks
Legislative Aide
Supervisor Pat Herrity
703-451-8873
703-451-3047 fax
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 9:17am
You could actually rename all the afternoon "Bob's" slug lines as combined Backlick, Gambrill, and Springfield Mall lines if the efforts continue to fail to keep the Springfield Plaza commuter parking open through a contract renewal. Evidence that such an arrangement works is the single slug line (with multiple DC and NoVa destinations) working very well every morning at Rolling Valley Mall. [;)]

I'm not saying Backlick/Gambrill/Springfield Mall slug lines are the optimum alternative to the two slug lines at "Bob's", but it's one option (and a viable back-up plan candidate) -- and these lots would provide many more total commuter parking spaces than Springfield Plaza does now. [:)]

jsrutstein View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsrutstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 9:48am
The Board of Supervisors ought to immediately insist that the lease for the commuter spaces be renewed on a month to month basis until all sides can be heard and a better solution can be found. If the owners refuse, at least we'll know who the bad guys are.

I'm quite impressed by the information that Herrity's office provided. I hope they visit this site to stay on top of the situation and our ideas. They should be informed that there are no already unused parking spaces at the old Circuit City lot; so, that's not any kind of option. I'm a bit dismayed at suggestions that McKay ought to take the lead on this. First off, as Herrity's office acknowledges, this affects commuters from other jurisdictions. More importantly, McKay is one member of a Board with power, and Herrity himself is hoping in six days to become Chairman of that Board. I'm going to ramp up my pressure on my Supervisor, Sharon Bulova. If we just let Bob's die quietly it will encourage the County to be even more lax next time.
Kfolkpsucan View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kfolkpsucan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 9:53am
Here is my response - to Mr. McKay's response from yesterday. At this point I believe we have two immediate actions to take.
(1) See if they can extend the Springfield plaza commuter parking for at least two more weeks
(2) Someone take charge and put something into effect in the next couple of days. Otherwise, next week will be a messy situation. It seems getting home sounds like a challenge if we park at the new designated spots.

Dear Mr. McKay,

thank you for your prompt reply. Please let me know how I can assist in trying to make this transition for new spaces prompt and advantageous. The commuter "slug line" has been such a great system for all involved to reduce traffic and reduce pollution for the region and should be a high priority to resume a prompt solution for the 350 folks that parked in the Springfield plaza.

The owners have a right to see fit on how their spaces are used - that is understandable. I am concerned that this notice was posted the same week the change was going to go into effect. I was told by your office yesterday this was not communicated to anyone prior to Monday - but your comment below is to the contrary that the lease was extended a month while things were in negotiations. Wasn't a back up being pursued in case this happened?

I did want to ask about the previous discussion of using the very large and unused parking garage at the Springfield Mall for commuter spaces - next to Macy's. This would be a very viable location and I would think the retail stores wouldn't mind the potential store traffic from the easy access to the mall after a long day of work.

Please let me know how I can assist and I appreciate your hard work on this matter moving forward.

thank you,

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 4:38 pm
Subject: FW: Commuter Parking Call

Dear Mr. Folk,

Thank you for your phone call.. I wish I had better news for you about the
property owner's decision to discontinue commuter parking at Springfield Plaza
as of February 1.

The decision to discontinue using the lot was not made by the County - quite the contrary - we were doing everything we could to try to renogiate a lease but the property owners were not willing to renew. Unfortunately, we were not given much notice and upon learning of this, the County has been working with the Plaza to
try to save the contract. We managed to get the contract extended from its termination date on December 31 to the end of January but he bottom line on this is that Springfield Plaza is private property and we cannot force the owner to lease parking spaces to us.

There are several alternate locations, not as convenient as this one, but with available spaces-they are on Gambrill Road and at Backlick Road and the Parkway. Our County Department of Transportation will be providing more information about
this alternative later this week. County staff has been directed to distribute fliers and put out a press release to try to communicate with those parking at this location before they arrive at the lot next week. Additionally, we have persuaded the Plaza to hold off on towing until mid February We are seeking alternative solutions to this challenge and are in discussions about leasing additional parking spaces with the owner of the Circuit City across from Springfield Plaza to see if this is viable.

Jeffrey C. McKay
Lee District Supervisor

Kfolkpsu
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 10:41am
I got the exact same email from McKay. So Spfld Plz is being closed to commuter parking. Those 400+- spaces are gone. But there are still spaces available behind the old CC building, don't know how many, owned by the VFW, and the Methodist church has donated some spaces for commuter parking. So the BOB's slugline may continue at that location. But...

I heard that Circuit City WAS still paying the lease on that old building, so there has been nothing to motivate the land owner to look for a new tenant. Now that Circuit City is gone...? And Long John Silver is long john gone... That is a sweet piece of realestate for redevelopment!

Good thing there are other options! The Gambrill lot is a good option for anyone traveling west on the FfxCoPkwy. The new Backlick Rd lot has 280 spaces and is another easy off and on the Pkwy > HOV option to pick up the slack to former BOB's DC destinations; 14th St., L'Enfant, etc.
thekazem View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thekazem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 11:09am
I think the best options are:
- Springfield Mall (580 spots, though many are used by people that walk to the Franconia Metro).
- Backlick North (6831 Backlick Road).

They are close to each other and drivers may be willing to pick up people for both locations on the way home from DC.

The biggest issue with Gambrill and Hechinger is that they are not close to the 395/495 interchange. [:(]
ledishva View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ledishva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 11:10am
Before we starting changing locations, I just heard from The Rappaport Companies who own Springfield Plaza (the section with Giant through to Trader Joe's). Based on his email, it sounds like Dwokin, the company who will not let us park there anymore MAY ONLY OWN THE PARKING LOT NEAR THE KMART AND NOT THE BIG LOT NEAR THE BANK. I replied requesting confirmation of this - if it is true we only lose about 50 spaces.

"We own and manage the portion of the shopping center starting at the Trader Joe’s down past the Giant and along Old Keene Mill. I have not received word that our ownership has decided to rescind the county’s right to allow slug line parking in our portion of the parking lot. A.J. Dwoskin is the Landlord for the Kmart side of the center, and they are the ones that have decided to rescind your right to park in their spaces (they are referenced in the notice you received)."

For those who had flyers, were you parked in the main lot or near Kmart?
mandiola View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandiola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 11:16am
When I talked to McKay's office this morning, I was told that Dwoskin realty chose not to renew the lease. I left a message for someone to call me back but my husband got through to someone in the legal department who was quite nasty. Here is their contact info:

To contact our corporate headquarters in Fairfax, Virginia, you may reach us at:
e-mail inquiry@dwoskin.com
phone 703-273-9320
fax 703-273-5155
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic