Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slugging Rules Broken Talk Radio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fburgsluggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slugging Rules Broken Talk Radio
    Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 6:07pm
Whatever happened to listening to WTOP radio? Today I rode home with a young man who listens to a talk radio station that was racially controversial. He seems not to know the rules for approved stations to listen to. He drives a blue Jetta with Tag XUP-7542. He picks up from Pentagon between the hours of 3 pm and 4 pm. The system does work. We cannot turn our heads to things that may cause the system to fail. This is my first posting after 15 years of slugging.
HannityFan View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HannityFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 9:57pm
Simply put, I choose not to listen to WTOP. Instead, I choose to listen to Sean Hannity (After all this is my car). This afternoon on the Sean Hannity show there was a debate over the recent arrest of Prof Gates. This apparently made one of the rider's uncomfortable (the OP), and towards the end of the trip he confronted me (and IMO not in the most polite way), to which I replied, "I choose to listen to Sean Hannity. In the future, you can choose not to ride with me. I will not be offended by this."
RetiredMarine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 7:35am
quote:
Originally posted by fburgsluggie

Whatever happened to listening to WTOP radio? Today I rode home with a young man who listens to a talk radio station that was racially controversial. He seems not to know the rules for approved stations to listen to.

The driver picks what he or she wants to listen to. There is no list of approved or not approved radio stations. I don’t care for the Sean Hannity show either, but as a slug I will listen to what ever the drive has on.
Checkers View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Checkers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 9:32am
I keep earplugs handy. I find the attitude "my car, my rules" rather rude. My car, my guests -- even if one of them might be Miss HannityFan.
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 9:35am
quote:
Originally posted by RetiredMarine

The driver picks what he or she wants to listen to. There is no list of approved or not approved radio stations. I don’t care for the Sean Hannity show either, but as a slug I will listen to what ever the drive has on.

RM...I'm with you. Driver calls the radio, tape, CD, etc selection. IPods are always an option.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 2:16pm
I'm sure the drivers don't always agree with their slugs size, smell or carry-on materials, but hey, its a free beneficial system don't you think sometimes we all have to suck it up and deal with what we get?

I particularly find Hannity a terrible excuse for a human, therefore I keep an IPod on hand. :)

This is a shared system folks. Most of us were raised with manners, it's time to start using them.

XOXO- sluggin' girl
SJS View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 4:41am
I find it rather amusing that fburgsluggie failed to mention in his post how confrontational he was to this driver or how he kept dropping the F-bomb during his tirade with little concern for the older lady sitting in the back seat. Hannity's comments were nothing compared to the performance put on by this slug. Had he politely asked the driver to change the station, he probably would have. Also don't know what rules he is reading, but I have been slugging for over 20 years and am not aware of the WTOP rule. I am, however aware of the rule that says it is the driver's car and they control the heat, air, radio, etc.

And, maybe this rider should take note of getmehome pweeze closing...
Most of us were raised with manners, it's time to start using them. [:)]
slugcarrier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugcarrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 7:58am
quote:
Originally posted by fburgsluggie

Whatever happened to listening to WTOP radio? Today I rode home with a young man who listens to a talk radio station that was racially controversial. He seems not to know the rules for approved stations to listen to. He drives a blue Jetta with Tag XUP-7542. He picks up from Pentagon between the hours of 3 pm and 4 pm. The system does work. We cannot turn our heads to things that may cause the system to fail. This is my first posting after 15 years of slugging.

You are out of line, it is the driver's prerogative. In 9 years of carrying slugs I have never had one question my choice of radio stations. If one did, he/she would be promptly offered the opportunity to debark from my vessel on the shoulder of the road.
Paula View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 1:58pm
WOW!! I never knew I had to listen to WTOP radio in MY car!!

I prefer to listen to BIG 100 (Oldies) with the mix of music, news and traffic. Pure talk radio bores me. A couple of times I've put on potentially offensive radio (blue collar comedy) but have always asked before putting it on.

In the 2+ years we've carried slugs, we've never heard a complaint about our station. In fact, we've had several slugs thank us for our music choices.

Now if I could only convince slugs that I don't want to have to listen to their music via their headphones, I'd be all set!
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 4:12pm
An approved radio list for slugs/drivers? Now I've heard it all. The only thing I've ever asked drivers to do is to lower the volume. For a free ride, I can endure whatever station they have on. [;)]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic