Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slugging Rules Broken Talk Radio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 2:31pm
Approved stations, what is the communist russia! I mean seriously, I know Karl Marx's protoge is in the White House but seriously man freedom.

Drivers, freedom to listen to what ever the hell we want to listen to.

Riders, freedom not to get in the car.

Enjoy radio with an opinion before the Congress takes it away by reancting the "fairness" doctirine.
DrChen View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrChen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 3:11pm
I dont' mind WTOP, NPR, or really anything. People have the right to listen to what they want. But drivers can be a little bit more courteous with what they listen to. But then, it's their car and they're driving. We're getting a free ride. For the most part, I've not experience any bad experiences. I guess if it really makes you uncomfortable and you really need the driver to change what they are listening to. You can always politely mention the discomfort. It may trigger some confrontation, but that's a chance you take as with all the other chance you take when you slug or pick up riders. It just comes with this system. But it seem to work well, ALMOST all the time.

I usually have a problem with drivers having the ventilation system not cool enough, so I cook in the back and get dizzy and start feeling sick. I guess I could have said something, but I just close my eyes and try to relax and get out the car when we get back.

Just my opinion.
puglover View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 4:03pm
Every Monday morning I set my radio speakers so that only the front driver's side emits sound. Perfect for me, perfect for my riders since I am not blasting them. On Friday night after I drop them off, the speakers go back to their normal setting. Not hard to do. I am pretty sure all cars have this option. Wouldn't hurt for the driver to be courteous and set it this way. Like others have said, this is a mutually-beneficial system.

If you have ever been a rider (and I was for many years) you can sympathize with the ventilation issue. If the weather is nice I keep my windows down in the city, it just wastes gas to run the A/C in stop-and-go traffic. But I tell my riders that and that I plan to put the A/C on once we hit the bridge. And I try to remember to check with the backseat rider to see if he/she is comfortable.

Hey, it doesn't take a lot of effort to make the ride comfortable for all.
CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 10:17pm
Wow! I've been a driver and a sluggie now for 7 years. As a sluggie, I've had to endure NPR (pure torture in my opinion), born-again Christian rock (I'm sure my Catholic soul will get time off in purgatory for this), Indian music, horrible rap, the list goes on. WTOP is good for the first 15 minutes but by the third go-round it just sucks. My point is I like Hannity so if you ever see a green Mercury Montego at the Pentagon -Don't get in my car or you may be offended by listening to the dreaded OTHER POINT OF VIEW. I also listen to Grandy and Andy in the morning and that too might be offensive. Of course, your other option is to quit thinking you are ENTITLED TO A FREE RIDE and drive yourself.

FYI: getmehomeplease, I usually agree with you but I have to point out that your comment "Hannity is a miserable excuse for a human being" is a little much. You may not know this but every year since 2003 Hannity has raised millions of dollars through his "Freedom Concerts" for college scholarship funds of children who have had a parent killed serving in our military. You may not agree with his views but he is hardly a miserable excuse of a human being.

CJ
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 3:54pm
Yes, the driver sets the radio station, etc., but like with anything else a little courtesy is always a good thing. I try to avoid contraversial talk radio (Hannity, Imus, Stern) in general and while driving slugs around; following the "garbage in-garbage out" way of thinking, and let's be honest, that stuff is garbage. I choose to listen to my ipod while riding, so drivers can listen to what ever they want.

And BTW, there is no approved slug radio station or programming.

Yes, the driver sets the rules in the car, and we should all demonstrate consideration.
GoBlue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2009 at 12:24pm
I completely agree with the original poster’s dislike for Hannity regardless of subject matter. I mean really, it displays a poor intellect to keep him on, HOWEVER, I also keep my headphones w/mp3 around to help drown out that and other things. Yesterday, I got a ride and had to listen to simplistic gospel music accompanied by both front seat persons chomping on the gum-so, on go the headphones.

Also, I dislike the Michael Bazemore (sp?) show on black radio. He is equally offensive with sexist and race-baiting shows.

That all said, it is simple courtesy to consider other people. Slugs are not just hitchhikers. They are serving drivers to escape the traffic and drivers have rights too, so slugs should stop their telephone calling, gum chewing, SNORING and food eating for when they are in the quiet of their home. If you must have these pleasures, THEN DRIVE!

BTW, why do we handle issues of courtesy with answers from Blackstone’s Legal Guide? Yes, it’s your car, but that drivers license is not a license for uncivil behavior.
GoBlue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2009 at 12:48pm
I recall a time when I was driving to Silver Springs and so I picked up slugs. I like to listen to books, so I saved a Hemingway novel for the trip back.
Well this happened to be the one Hemingway novel that I know of in which his protagonist uses some racist rants against blacks. I had just picked up 2 passengers (both black) when I heard the first use of that particular word. I was paying more attention to my driving so I wasn't sure I heard it correctly. Then out it came again! I quickly switched to a different cd and while nothing was said, I was very embarrassed.
Now, I could have asserted the "My car, my rules" attitude, but come on, it doesn't hurt to be civil. And, I would have switched it off for any race of riders. When I pick books to hear, I consider the material. I'm not trying to please everyone, I'm just trying to consider not being offensive.
CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 8:41pm
I think the problem is that the original poster was quite rude both in their initial post and apparently in the car during the ride. It's one thing to be courteous to a rider- hey everyone should be right? But its quite another for someone to accost you in your own car, call you names and then come online and post deregatory things about you WITH your license plate number, simply because they didn't like your radio station. Then to have other people come on here and call you (and everyone who also likes the show) unintelligent because you happen tp like listening to a certain radio show. Wow. That's rude.

CJ
blacksky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacksky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 12:13am
quote:
Originally posted by CJ

I think the problem is that the original poster was quite rude both in their initial post and apparently in the car during the ride. It's one thing to be courteous to a rider- hey everyone should be right? But its quite another for someone to accost you in your own car, call you names and then come online and post deregatory things about you WITH your license plate number, simply because they didn't like your radio station. Then to have other people come on here and call you (and everyone who also likes the show) unintelligent because you happen tp like listening to a certain radio show. Wow. That's rude.

CJ

Your car = your rules. My car = my rules. If you don't like it, after exit 152, you are a PEDESTRIAN. Everyone knows I've written this before. I play my music in my car and tolerate whatever is in the car I am slugging in. That's why I have an MP3 player w/ me. I have even had to tolerate Howard Stern, and WORSE to get to/from work...but the price of the ride was ZERO!
ceejay2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceejay2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 9:42pm
my husband and i pick up at the Pentagon. we go back and forth from WTOP to Hannity to the baseball game if there's a day game. the speakers in the backseat are turned off and we keep the volume down so only we can hear the radio. our slug can't hear anything. but even if they could, it's MY vehicle. i paid for it, i pay to insure it and fuel it up and maintain it. you don't like my choice of radio station? drive your own car. pissant.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic