Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slugging Rules Broken Talk Radio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2009 at 8:34pm
Like I said at the beginning of this string: I used to drive, then I slugged for a year, then I rode the bus and then slugged again. Now I work shift work so it varies. I accept that some people feel that NPR is actually worthy of listening to and that some people actually like Christian rock. In fact, I've even sat in cars where sexually explicit rap was being played. It was their car and I respected that. I would NEVER under any circumstances start cussing out and insulting someone who was driving THEIR car because I disagreed with their choice of radio when I was getting a free ride. And actually I've lost interest in this string, I just keep replying to you because it bumps over the spam. Hopefully, some other troll will start a new string of some other contentious issue so I don't have to keep seeing ads for new cellphones.

CJ
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2009 at 12:57pm
quote:
Originally posted by GoBlue

Also, I dislike the Michael Bazemore (sp?) show on black radio. He is equally offensive with sexist and race-baiting shows.

It's Michael Baisden. And I'd be careful what you say about him. His fans might strike down upon you with all the wrath Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson can bring. I work with too many people that listen to that crap in the office of all places.

But I put up with it at the office and in the cars. I really don't care what's being played (There's one driver that plays a hardcore conservative/religious station that's been a bit of a shocker.) so long as they get me to the commuter lot in a reasonable amount of time. I'm more annoyed at slow drivers than what they listen to.

quote:

That all said, it is simple courtesy to consider other people. Slugs are not just hitchhikers. They are serving drivers to escape the traffic and drivers have rights too, so slugs should stop their telephone calling, gum chewing, SNORING and food eating for when they are in the quiet of their home. If you must have these pleasures, THEN DRIVE!

I would hope that you don't suggest people snore while driving. That just sounds like a bad idea.

With nothing to occupy me in the car, I tend to like to pass out until I'm woken by the rolling of the flyover... I don't know if I snore loudly though.

But lots of other slugs have done the same and snored. It doesn't seem like it's terribly annoying. Besides, you only have to deal with it until we get to the drop off point. I can think of far worse things than snoring... Bad BO, nose picking, that OP cussing you out for your radio selection... Snoring is not so bad.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2009 at 1:50pm
Please people- turn the A/C up!! No need to argue like this.

This is a shared system folks. Most of us were raised with manners, it's time to start using them.

XOXO- sluggin' girl
go2grl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote go2grl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2009 at 5:58pm
I probably slug 80% of the time and drive the other 20% and I've been in cars where I would rather have not been because of the driver's choice of radio station. You know what I did? I sat back, stayed quiet and thanked them for the ride when they dropped me off. If it was something that truly offended me(and that has only happened once in 5 years), I let the next person in line get the ride when I saw that particular driver again and I waited for the next car.

As a driver, there are times when I want to listen to a cd(Disturbed, Puddle of Mudd, etc.) or radio station that is out of the PC range. You know what I do? I turn the radio to something friendly like WTOP, B101, etc. I can handle an hour of driving with a more PC station so I don't make someone uncomfortable because of my music choice.

It's not that hard to be polite and thankful for the quicker ride home. It only takes a second to step out of our selfish little boxes and see things from another perspective, whether slug or driver.
BIGNAT View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGNAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 8:57am
HA! This is so funny. This site never ceases to amaze me. Now drivers can't listen to what they want in their vehicle? Bull @#$!

Glad it wasn't me in that situation. We might have been on the local news!

As a rider, sit down and be quiet and enjoy your free ride!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigNat
BorrowMyHusband.NET View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BorrowMyHusband.NET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 4:07pm
I have been slugging for just under 5 years. I am grateful for the slug system and drivers who stop and pickup riders.

At the end of the day, we all have choices:
1 - Ride with the smoker or not
2 - Ride with the person putting on makeup or not
3 - Ride with the person playing whatever sound (CD, Radio, etc.) or not
4 - Ride with person with flithy car (dog hair, kids candy, trash, etc.) or not
5 - Ride with the speeder, tortoise, etc or not

Or, walk down the dank, dingy, musty metro station and catch the crowded and smelly train and turn a 30 min commute into a 1 hour + production.

Fire that Couch POTATO! BorrowMyHusband.net
fburgsluggie View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fburgsluggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009 at 8:40am
Over the 15 plus years I have been the slugger and the sluggie. What makes this system really works is being respectful to one another. I would never listen to a station that I thought would offend another person. It does amaze me on many of the comments that the driver has the right to listen to whatever he wants. Yes it is his car and his gas, but for this system to remain successful we really must respect people of all races and background. Slugging is a benefit for us all whether you are the sluggie or the slugger.

quote:
Originally posted by fburgsluggie

Whatever happened to listening to WTOP radio? Today I rode home with a young man who listens to a talk radio station that was racially controversial. He seems not to know the rules for approved stations to listen to. He drives a blue Jetta with Tag XUP-7542. He picks up from Pentagon between the hours of 3 pm and 4 pm. The system does work. We cannot turn our heads to things that may cause the system to fail. This is my first posting after 15 years of slugging.

BIGNAT View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIGNAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009 at 10:01am
I agree with you fburg but something will always offend someone. Heck I saw something negative on this posting topic about the Mike Baisden show. He is not a "race jock" but as with EVERTHING someone doesn't like his show and might find the content offensive for whatever reason. I use to listen to the gospel station. Someone might not like gospel and/or accuse me of shoving religion down their throat. Can't please everyone. That's why I drive. My car my rules and I am always safe and respectfull. Can't say I've been given the same courtesy by many riders. Many don't speak, don't even say thank you. WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!

My car...My rules!

BigNat
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009 at 2:33pm
quote:
Originally posted by go2grl

As a driver, there are times when I want to listen to a cd(Disturbed, Puddle of Mudd, etc.) or radio station that is out of the PC range. You know what I do? I turn the radio to something friendly like WTOP, B101, etc. I can handle an hour of driving with a more PC station so I don't make someone uncomfortable because of my music choice.

That's because you have common courtesy and think of the comfort of your passengers. A lot of people don't.

quote:

It's not that hard to be polite and thankful for the quicker ride home. It only takes a second to step out of our selfish little boxes and see things from another perspective, whether slug or driver.

I'd like to agree with you, but I've lived in the D.C. area all my life. The people in this area not only have made me lose my faith in humanity, but have convinced me that it's not worth attempting to try and regain it because I'll just get let down over and over again.

I'll simply work here because there are still good paying jobs here, pay off my overpriced cookie cutter house, and head down south as fast as I can. At least people there are friendly and respectful to one another.
CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009 at 4:03pm
quote:

Over the 15 plus years I have been the slugger and the sluggie. What makes this system really works is being respectful to one another. I would never listen to a station that I thought would offend another person. It does amaze me on many of the comments that the driver has the right to listen to whatever he wants. Yes it is his car and his gas, but for this system to remain successful we really must respect people of all races and background. Slugging is a benefit for us all whether you are the sluggie or the slugger.

quote:

Whatever happened to listening to WTOP radio? Today I rode home with a young man who listens to a talk radio station that was racially controversial. He seems not to know the rules for approved stations to listen to. He drives a blue Jetta with Tag XUP-7542. He picks up from Pentagon between the hours of 3 pm and 4 pm. The system does work. We cannot turn our heads to things that may cause the system to fail. This is my first posting after 15 years of slugging.

I do have to say that I am a little curious. According to SJS ( the sixth or seventh comment on this topic) who appears to be the third rider in the car that day, you were less than courteous in your desire to have the station changed. If, indeed,that's true than you were just as much a part of the problem as the driver you commented about. While it is true that it takes riders and drivers to make the system work, financially the driver is taking on the biggest burden (gas, maintenance and God forbid if there's an accident, insurance liability). For all of that, I believe that drivers should be cut some slack. After following this string for the past couple weeks, I elected NOT to pick up slugs on Tuesday because my air conditioner doesn't get cold until after you get going on the highway. Rather than worry about being blogged about on here, I took back roads home and avoided 95 (thank you TomTom GPS). Yes, it took about 20 minutes longer but I listened to my radio and sat in the air conditioning.

CJ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic