Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hybrid Extension to July, 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hybrid Extension to July, 2011
    Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 12:03pm
Yes, select Hybrids have once again been afforded the (IMHO) unfair right to ride SOV in the HOV.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/022010/02252010/530297
mpatoka View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpatoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 1:15pm
I'm just curious out of the 12,430 hybrids that are exempted, how many reside here in NoVA and use the HOV on a regular basis? I assume the great majority of them.
TWO View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 8:55pm
This is such wonderful news. I'm so looking forward to the un-noticeable traffic load they add to the HOV lanes.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 6:57am
Everybody write a letter to Bob McDonnell.
Encourage others to write as well.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 9:44am
I've been opposed to the hybrid exception since it was first instituted. That having been said, I also do not think it would be a good idea to end the grandfathering of those hybrids that are currently allowed on the HOV. Looking at the big picture, putting more traffic in the over-burdened regular lanes is simply not an acceptable solution. As long as they are not allowing new hybrids or other CF vehicles on HOV they should continue grandfathering until the issue becomes moot.

Edited to add: I also believe that the grandfathered vehicles should have to pay a fee of several hundred dollars per year for the special license plate that allows them to take advantage of the exception.
siggy14 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siggy14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 8:35am
I dont believe that is the case, these hybrid owners are so use to their fast ride that they will just start picking up passangers. I think they will start picking up slugs or slugging themselves.

I dont mind if it gets extended, however I feel it should be amended to say that the plate can not be transferred to a new vehicle and then let it slowly die out that way.

quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt

I've been opposed to the hybrid exception since it was first instituted. That having been said, I also do not think it would be a good idea to end the grandfathering of those hybrids that are currently allowed on the HOV. Looking at the big picture, putting more traffic in the over-burdened regular lanes is simply not an acceptable solution. As long as they are not allowing new hybrids or other CF vehicles on HOV they should continue grandfathering until the issue becomes moot.

Edited to add: I also believe that the grandfathered vehicles should have to pay a fee of several hundred dollars per year for the special license plate that allows them to take advantage of the exception.

HOVME View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOVME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 1:04pm
The HOV extension was overwhelmingly passed by both houses of the VA legislature. There is virtually no chance the governor will waste any political capital with a veto. Don't waste your time or his with a letter.

HOVME
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 2:38pm
Only in DC would there be people who advocated HOV-3 over HOV-30.

Extending the exemption has always been a no brainer. Ending it for the newer hybrids was the big mistake. If the legislature had instead phased out the HOV-3 exemption for the express lanes while continuing to allow hybrids to use the express lanes during commuting hours, we would have had:
- less congestion because slugs would be on a bus
- less pollution because not only will the commutes have less air polution, but also the hybrids would replace more polluting vehicles being used in non-commutes.
- less dependence on foreign oil (and lower gas prices) because of better mileage
- economic stimulus because of the increase in vehicle manufacture and sales
- increased transportation funding from the portion of revenue paid to use the bus
- And best of all, no taxpaer funds, unlike cash for clunkers

The downside would be that slugs lose their "entitlement" with free rides and now have to help pay for transportation improvements.
siggy14 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siggy14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 2:50pm
Well if you want to go along those lines, maybe they should just make it bus only like originaly was. Honestly you are no better, you think because your car is more fuel effcient that it gives you the right to be a single rider.

In reality there are many regular cars that get better gas mileage then most hybrids when it comes to highway miles. If you really cared about the enviroment you would get your butt from behind the drivers wheel and take your own advice and get on a bus no matter what car you drive.

quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV

Only in DC would there be people who advocated HOV-3 over HOV-30.

Extending the exemption has always been a no brainer. Ending it for the newer hybrids was the big mistake. If the legislature had instead phased out the HOV-3 exemption for the express lanes while continuing to allow hybrids to use the express lanes during commuting hours, we would have had:
- less congestion because slugs would be on a bus
- less pollution because not only will the commutes have less air polution, but also the hybrids would replace more polluting vehicles being used in non-commutes.
- less dependence on foreign oil (and lower gas prices) because of better mileage
- economic stimulus because of the increase in vehicle manufacture and sales
- increased transportation funding from the portion of revenue paid to use the bus
- And best of all, no taxpaer funds, unlike cash for clunkers

The downside would be that slugs lose their "entitlement" with free rides and now have to help pay for transportation improvements.

RetiredMarine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 9:13am
NoSuv you are incorrect about many of your points. Having 1000 Hybrids on the road traveling at highway speed doesn't lessen our dependence on foreign oil. Plus if we were to remove the hybrids there would be less congestion. HOV doesn't stand for Hybird it stands for high-occupancy vehicle. Yes you are correct removing all cars and only allowing bus would be a fix, but this really only helps the bus companies get richer.

The best way to correct HOV is to remove hybirds and change the hours. The change of the hours has worked in other cities.
-0500 to 1000 North bound
-1400 to 1900 South bound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic