Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hybrid Extension to July, 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 4:41pm
Amen to RetiredMarine's comments
Flyby View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 8:38pm
I seem to remember that the original statute specifically stated that when an older hybrid with exempt tags was traded in the tags COULD NOT BE TRANSFERRED TO THE NEW HYBRID. But look around everyone - undoubtedly that's what's been going on for the last few years. Is anyone in DMV policing this. I can just see it - hybrid owner goes into the dealer to buy the newer hybrid and - wink wink, nod nod - the dealer puts his old exempt tags on the new hybrid - even if the emissions figures on the newer hybrid don't qualify for the clean fuel tag.

Anyone have any idea who we need to speak to in Richmond about this? I tried with Dave Albo last year but he blew me off - had better things to do, I'm sure.

Flyby
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 9:08pm
Flyby, For your info:
From the Virginia DMV website (http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/cleanspecialfuel.asp):
"Vehicle owners who have vehicles registered with the white clean special fuel license plate, issued prior to July 1, 2006, may renew or transfer their plates to a newly purchased qualifying vehicle. Vehicles bearing this plate are exempt from occupancy requirements in all Virginia HOV lanes until the general exemption expires on July 1, 2010." (now 2011?)

Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 4:48am
Then the only solution is to go around and remove, mutilate, vandalize, or otherwise render illegible the original white Hybrid tags.

No longer in production, the owner will have to go to the DMV and get new blue tags.

Kidding of course. I don't advocate malicious activity... I think I can make exception to NoSUV though.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
Flyby View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 7:36am
Thank you sluDgE for the (unfortunate) enlightenment.

Flyby
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 11:10am
quote:
Originally posted by RetiredMarine

NoSuv you are incorrect about many of your points. Having 1000 Hybrids on the road traveling at highway speed doesn't lessen our dependence on foreign oil. Plus if we were to remove the hybrids there would be less congestion. HOV doesn't stand for Hybird it stands for high-occupancy vehicle. Yes you are correct removing all cars and only allowing bus would be a fix, but this really only helps the bus companies get richer.

The best way to correct HOV is to remove hybirds and change the hours. The change of the hours has worked in other cities.
-0500 to 1000 North bound
-1400 to 1900 South bound

RetiredMarine: Perhaps YOU should check YOUR facts. A local county recently replaced about half of its fleet with hybrids. The result was that even though the hybrids had more mileage over a year, the fuel costs were 1/3. Remember, there is a difference between travelling at highway speeds and always having your accelerator floored. When a cnventional vehicle coasts, gas is still consumed. With a hybrid, not only does the battery boost the electric drive motor during normal operations, but the drave battery goes on complete charge when you back off of the accelerator.

Removing hybrids from the express lanes does nothing to ease the congestion in the regular lanes - it increases it and therefore the overall congestion; shifting slugs from HOV-3 to HOV-30 does ease the total number of vehicles. Even a marine can do that math.
RetiredMarine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 12:21pm
Yes HOV 30 does ease the HOV problem agree 100%. You should also admit that HOV 3 is better than hybrid with one or I would have to question your math skills nosuv. But the fact HOV 30 really only helps the bus companies get richer.

Your fact about the hybrids is still incorrect, you are basing your facts on city travel, the HOV wasn't designed for stop and go traffic. The fact of the matter was really only three or four hybrids on the road today work the way you describe. Honda Civic, Honda Insight, Toyota Prius and maybe one more. The other hybrids getting the benefit of the lanes don't get the milage nor do they work in the same manner.
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 8:44am
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV

Only in DC would there be people who advocated HOV-3 over HOV-30.

Yes. It is nearly as ridiculous as advocating HOV-1 over HOV-3.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 9:18am
quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt

quote:

mycroftt, perhaps you could use a math lesson from RetiredMarine
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 7:52am
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt

quote:

mycroftt, perhaps you could use a math lesson from RetiredMarine

Hey - I don't need a math lesson. I'm so bright my mother called me "sun." [:o)]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic