Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Slug Line to Alexandria!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
gortiz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gortiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 11:56am
quote:
Originally posted by fmajette

I don't advocate using the VRE Station to park because at present, parking is free for VRE users. I'm concerned that the free parking for VRE users may change if there is an onslaught of cars brought on by sluggers. Not a good idea!!!

well, the lorton vre has a real successful slug line to pentagon and L'enfant and both the train and slugs have coexisted without a hitch for a few years now ... but I see your concern.
sluggingnewbee View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluggingnewbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 11:05am
I would absolutely support a slug line starting at Garrisonville Rd. to the King Street Metro or even Springfield metro. The HOV actually has one exit past the Springfield/495 exit that is very convenient to getting to the metro (metro station will be on the right exit straight off the road that the HOV exit dumps you on) not to mention an easy way back to the HOV from that same road from the metro. However, even if it were to go all the way to King Street metro it would cut at least an hour off of people's driving time due to skipping all that insane traffic on the regular lanes from Stafford up to the Sprinfield exit.
fmajette View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmajette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 8:06am
I don't advocate using the VRE Station to park because at present, parking is free for VRE users. I'm concerned that the free parking for VRE users may change if there is an onslaught of cars brought on by sluggers. Not a good idea!!!
mseered View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mseered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 10:37pm
I support either location But I think King street would better since it has both the yellow and blue lines, but as someone has already stated.. the last HOV exit is at Springfield. That being the case, I think Springfield would also work. Since Im new to sluggin.. Im not sure why the line has to start at one particular location? But if I had to chose, I would say the VRE-Woodbridge
marchf View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 1:09am
Eisenhower defnitely. This is the one that would work for me and that I would use. King Street does not work for me.
GreenSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 7:31pm
I support an endpoint at Springfield Metro with a start point at Stafford/Mine Rd or 630.
DelRichAnderson View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DelRichAnderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 4:50pm
These are outstanding proposals. Regardless of the final decision on new slugging locations, more are needed. From 2001 until 2009, I slugged from either Horner Road or Potomac Mills to the Pentagon as an active duty Air Force member for 30 years. I also worked at a military facility on Eisenhower Avenue and can personally attest to the need for a slug line there. Now that I am retired (February 2009) and represent Prince William County in the Virginia House of Delegates, I am most concerned that the proposed I-95/395 HOT Lanes not, repeat NOT, adversely impact the outstanding slug system that has operated so effectively for decades--because government has left management of the slug system to citizen ingenuity. I would value any comments or observations that subscribers to this forum care to offer so that I have current information on the slug system. I can be reached best via my legislative email address (DelRAnderson@house.virginia.gov) or even at home (703-730-1380). I feel that I need to be reachable if I am going to be responsive. Thanks for the opportunity to comment, and Happy Memorial Day to all!

Del. Rich Anderson, 51 House District, Virginia General Assembly
HappySlugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HappySlugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 2:24pm
This is a great idea and will be great for a lot of commuters. I will like for it to happen sooner and willing to help make it happen. The dash bus, king street and Eisenhower metro stations are there to connect it all and make it a good way for thousands of folks to go back and forth work and home.[:)]

AM
snlfam View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snlfam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 9:46am
Just thinking out loud here...
Slugging works best on HOV lanes... otherwise, there is much less incentive. I believe the last HOV exit before the Pentagon is Springfield (assuming you are coming 95/395).
Springfield has a metro stop and it is fairly close to the 95 exit... although I don't know what traffic is like around there during rush hours.
How far from the HOV lanes is the Eisenhower Metro? Is there a proposed HOV lane on 495 that I am unaware of?
Based on these assumptions, it occurs to me that the best plan to generate enough "mass" to work is to have a slug-line from any of the commuter lots south of Springfield to the Springfield metro. This options would allow riders to then use the metro or bus system to get to the rest of Alexandria. This also offers the greatest degree of flexibility to drivers (ones going north or east on 495 as well as locations in Alexandria/Arlington earlier than Pentagon City) without having 3 people stuck on the normal lanes of the major thoroughfares. As much as riders would appreciate a ride to different parts of Alexandria, there is little non-altruistic incentive to drivers to take them beyond Springfield.
This isn't to say that if the driver and rider happen to be going to the same location that the driver wouldn't be willing to take them, but, in my opinion, the odds are better for a Springfield Metro<>South 95 connection.
In the spirit of full disclosure, I commute to DC and would likely not use any of these options if they were available.
Hope this is helpful to the conversation.
ogfking View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ogfking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 9:20am
I believe this is a good idea, but I don't really have a dog in the fight, since I slug to the Pentagon. I wanted to offer a suggestion for everyone to consider whatever that new monstrous gov't building they're constructing there on the West side of I-395 at King St/Seminary Rd. I'm sure all of you know more about it than I do, but seems that lots of people will be commuting to that building in the near future...

Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic