Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Using the AC to much to ask?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using the AC to much to ask?
    Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 8:30am
In the last two weeks I have been in three cars that didn't use the AC. When they pulled up the windows were up so you would assume the AC was on. I have a great respect for those drivers who pull up windows down telling you they have no AC. The way home it doesn't matter as much.

When I am the driver I always ask the riders if you get to cold or to hot please let me know. Many drivers do the same.

Little to humid not to use AC, just my opinion.
Bodybykids View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodybykids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 9:05am
I have ridden in the backseat a few times in the last week and experienced the same but I believe the AC is on however its not reaching the back seat. If the driver turns it up, then it gets really cool in the front whereas the back is just reaching comfortable. Another problem I experience is it takes some time for my car to cool off inside since it sits outside in a parking lot all day with no cover. I don't drive that often but I know these are problems in my car. I don't mind, if I am driving, if my passengers ask me to adjust the temp but if I am a passenger, I just deal with it. My drive to 234 is relatively short and although warm it isnt unbearable and I just appreciate the ride back to my car.
CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 4:29pm
When its really hot (as it has been ALL summer) some cars, particularly older cars are not going to be able to get teh car as cool as a brand new car might be able to. My 2005 Mercury gets cool when we are in motion but for some reason, idling it just won't get cold. As a result I do not pick up slugs when I drive that vehicle because I don't want to deal with explaining that to perspective slugs. Instead I either leave work early or take back roads home (thank you GPS!).

CJ
RetiredMarine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 7:55am
The cars in question have been newer cars a PT Cruiser, Ford Explorer and a Saturn
Rickie View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 8:27am
Maybe you can point to that sign, "Your wife's HOT! Fix the AC" and hopefully they get the clue. But then again, that sign is close to Springfield and you've already spent 20 minutes...sorry
go2grl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote go2grl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 11:18am
quote:
Originally posted by CJ

When its really hot (as it has been ALL summer) some cars, particularly older cars are not going to be able to get teh car as cool as a brand new car might be able to. My 2005 Mercury gets cool when we are in motion but for some reason, idling it just won't get cold. As a result I do not pick up slugs when I drive that vehicle because I don't want to deal with explaining that to perspective slugs. Instead I either leave work early or take back roads home (thank you GPS!).

CJ

My 10 year old Passat does the same thing. For me, it's not a big deal. The few times I do drive during the warm/hot/humid days, I ride alone instead of picking up slugs so they don't have to put up with it. Again, common courtesy comes into play.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 7:13am

quote:
Originally posted by CJ

CJ

quote:
Originally posted by go2grl
My 10 year old Passat does the same thing. For me, it's not a big deal. The few times I do drive during the warm/hot/humid days, I ride alone instead of picking up slugs so they don't have to put up with it. Again, common courtesy comes into play.

In 1995, Car manufacturers switched over to a new chemical in the A/C system called R134a. Prior to that, cars used something called R12.

R12 eats holes in the ozone layer, but it cools MUCH better than the new stuff.

R134a requires higher pressure to cool. Hence why the cars only get cool when you're in motion and not while idling. While idling the compressor is not running as fast, obviously.

That aside, please, Please, PLEASE reconsider not picking up slugs... I'd rather sit in an un-air conditioned car for the 30 minute ride to Horner. Rd than wait around 20-30 mins for a ride on that hot bench at the Pentagon.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
SuTaRiCh View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuTaRiCh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 11:36am
I nearly typed this on my blackberry on Friday, but was feeling queasy enough without trying to do that. On Friday I got in to a car at the Pentagon just after 3 PM. It was a hot and humid day. The car windows were up. The driver was in shorts and a t-shirt. I was in work clothes (and had been standing in the sun for 15 minutes). He did NOT have the AC on - just blowing air. That just didn't cut it. I was about dead by the time I got to Rte 17, 2 hours later. I'm sorry, I really think a little courtesy is needed here...
Bodybykids View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodybykids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 9:34am
That was inconsiderate. I was running late last week mostly everyday and ended up driving. Coming home I picked up two ladies on Crystal drive and being I just left the parking lot, the car was hot. I did let them know that I had just gotten in the car, however, the car did not get really cool and it was a warm drive home. I apologized to them but have since figured out that I had a wrong button pressed and by unpressing that one the car would cool a lot faster. I don't mind my passengers telling me they are uncomfortable - be it too cool or too hot.
carsmusthaveAC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carsmusthaveAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 9:00pm
That is the worst thing about slugging. People are so cheap and swear that running the AC burns gas. Well than DONT PICK PEOPLE UP. I now ask if they have AC before I get in because I refuse to sit there and sweat to death. I even had people tell me that they dont turn it on for that reason. I have pin pointed a few cars that I will not get in whatsoever. I will also not get in anything that is 2 door. Some people are completely ignorant and should not be picking up if you dont want to make people comfortable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic