Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worst ride.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deepali_anuje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 1:00pm
This is addressed to "AngloAustrian" especially -
I am polite enough to say that "I asked", "I told". For your info, if you read correctly, I have also said "I requested". Let me put it this way, how else are you going to put it, if something like this happened to you? Esp, for the fact that you are pregnant?
Things can happen to anyone, anytime. That does not mean, that you behave like highschoolers trying to bully people just because they rode in your car. The point was not just of being uncomfortable. I told repeatedly, my heartbeat is increasing, my muscles are contracting. Do you think it would be pleasant if someone throws up in your car but still should shut up and bear the circumstances? Would you treat a person having heart-attack the same way? I am sorry, that my thinking is not like yours. Also, FYI, I drive many times too. That day just seemed to be "the bad one". Also, when I pick up people, I make sure people get a smooth and comfortable ride. If you have slugged, you will think about the riders.

Let me also make one point clear, It is not the first time that I took a slug ride. I have been doing this for past 3.5 - 4 years years now. I have taken rides to other parts of DC as well as pentagon.But this is the first time, I felt the need to post. Having a normal hot or cold weather, or occassionaly a reasonably high volume or radio, bad talk shows do get slide.
Sure, like everyone else, I carry my sweater in winters and I carry an iphone with earplugs. But what do you do with some one who doesnot even start AC or locks all the windows - YEAH THROW UP IN THEIR CAR. Do you think you would like to take a chance when you are 6 months pregnant with labor pains and you are just not feeling right? What do you do, if out of 365 days, 1 day you forget to charge your phone and that day turns out to a ride in a DEAF AND CRAZY person's car? PAY THE PRICE, because its a price of fame for sitting in her car. Cool, thats why I am trying to make others aware so that they dont have to pay this price if they forget to charge their phones..

Sorry, but Just being mean to other people is a way of seeking pleasure for some sad souls around...

For all others who have been concerned -
I have tried to look out for the car since Aug 02. These ladies havent slung by to the potomac parking lot since then again. I havent forgotten this experience, I promise you and I will never ever. The moment I see them again, I am going to make sure to post the picture of their licence plate..
deepali_anuje View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deepali_anuje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 1:26pm
Again, if you just meant that I did not say "shouted", I will like to also tell you, that English is not my first language like most. May be I am not as effective writer as any person bought up in America would be. I am in this country since 2004 and I think I have done preety well so far. For people, who can understand me, perhaps also understand that translating from another language mentally to English can be a challenge at times.
AngloAustrian View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngloAustrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 11:28am
I have no desire to get into a fight with you. All I am saying is that different cultures have different perceptions and it is possible that your perception of "loud" may not be the same as another's. Your English is good enough to be able to state that the driver spoke in a "sly tone." If the radio is blaring so loudly that your "heart is beating too fast", a "sly tone" is not possible. I, too, speak more than one language, and know the difference between "said" and "shouted" in both, as you obviously do. You also know the meaning of "sly" otherwise you would not have used that particular word. You just can't shout in a "sly tone."
Now, having said that, the women should not have treated you as disrespectfully as they did, no matter how they perceived your behavior. All I am saying is that the way you wrote the post makes me wonder how loud the radio really was. And your note that the driver had a bag the "size of a bean bag" makes me also wonder about your sense of entitlement. There are many reasons, per slug rules, and other reasons, why drivers should not/do not take extra passengers, especially during rush hour, which you should know, having slugged for 3-4 years. Lastly, for your own safety, getting into a fight with the driver, who appears to be unreasonable (to you) is not the safest course of action. The driver appears to have been driving safely, as you make no mention of speeding, tailgating etc. You say you are "polite," but then you "cursed" the driver and threatened to call the police! In the end, you just succeeded in blowing the whole situation up, whereas if you had been quiet, stuck something in your ears, got through the ride and got out, you would have had an easier time. You need to think carefully how you handle the next "nightmare" that you encounter because your safety is at risk. You ask how I would handle it? Just like that, put something in my ears, shut up, and get there in one piece and, oh, a heart attack is something completely different to a loud radio. And if a loud radio or lack of A/C would affect you so badly and cause "labor pains" at 24 weeks which would cause you to "throw up" in someone's car, then you need to seriously reconsider how you get to work in the morning and possibly see your doctor. Also, your ride took place in the morning, presumably early like at 6 or 7. Although muggy and not great, it's not THAT hot in the mornings (in fact, I looked it up - the temp in the morning on August 2 was about 68-70 degrees at that time) that you should be throwing up because the A/C is not on, even with the windows closed.

So, as Trapps says, there is always another side to the story.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deepali_anuje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 3:29pm
Addressed to @AngloAustrian -

@AngloAustrian: "I have no desire to get into a fight with you."

Me: Good, Me neither! I am just here to give a description of what I felt at the time and what someone else in my situation could potentially feel. If you are a stronger person than me, good for you. I have no desire to fight with you or for that matter anyone else either.

@AngloAustrian: All I am saying is that different cultures have different perceptions and it is possible that your perception of "loud" may not be the same as another's.

Me: Agreed. May be it was just me like you said. But if I am requesting you and I am in trouble, why would someone have so much ego to understand another human being? Also, like i said in my earlier post, this is not my first ride, and certainly upto 24 weeks I have been regularly slugging. So I definately do not think that just in a span of 1 day my ears went from just being sensitive to super-sensitive. Anyways, I do take your point and still go further that it could just be me. If consistently a rider requests you that something is wrong with her, can you please lower the radio, instead of helping why should someone inturn increase the radio volume?

@AngloAustrian: Your English is good enough to be able to state that the driver spoke in a "sly tone." If the radio is blaring so loudly that your "heart is beating too fast", a "sly tone" is not possible.

Me: And how do you decide that? Are you a literature expert? Or are you a Psychologist? If you are, you will need to proove me, for me to be convinced that you are indeed talking a real statistical report.

@AngloAustrian: I, too, speak more than one language, and know the difference between "said" and "shouted" in both, as you obviously do. You also know the meaning of "sly" otherwise you would not have used that particular word. You just can't shout in a "sly tone."

Me: Good for you that you speak multiple languages and you can make the difference between both. "Sly" is a very common British english word for "Cunning" and coming from india we use both these word very commonly in everyday life. I dont think we use neither "Sly" or "Cunning" in an everyday american english here in america. Again, that is besides the point. There are many words that I would use normally, that many here will not. I have been raised - reading writing in "Queens" English as they say here although my mother tongue is not english. You can presumably argue that you speak British too and you dont use these words or whatever. I dont have any explaination for that. I just know I do and many of my friends bought up in a similar environment do. And I can guarantee on you this. Again, when I was writing, my state of mind was disturbed, I have written the post right after I reached work, first thing that morning. The words may not have come to me as fast as it would in normal circumstances. It would be pointless for me to explain it to you since you seem to have already made up your mind about me. Per what you just said, lets put it this way may be my IQ level could be lower than yours since you seem to think faster to think than me.

@AngloAustrian: Now, having said that, the women should not have treated you as disrespectfully as they did, no matter how they perceived your behavior.

Me: Thanks! Thats all I am trying to say here. I was shocked to find a woman treating another woman so immaturely. Even if I got "sensitive" to loudness [per you], when I am repeatedly telling the ladies that something doesnt feel right with my body, instead of helping she is making fun of me. Thats what angered me. Again, if you think this was all me, I leave it to you. Like I said before, I have no intention of convincing or forcing anyone what I felt. It is all up to you. I am a person who doesnot like playing with risks and if I feel that I didnot enjoy the ride, I have a right to speak what I felt. You can choose to accept or reject.

@AngloAustrian: All I am saying is that the way you wrote the post makes me wonder how loud the radio really was. And your note that the driver had a bag the "size of a bean bag" makes me also wonder about your sense of entitlement. There are many reasons, per slug rules, and other reasons, why drivers should not/do not take extra passengers, especially during rush hour, which you should know, having slugged for 3-4 years.

Me: No I did not know that you cant take the 4th passenger - and I am honest about that. And yes, I have indeed slugged for 3- 4 years, I am living in this area from 2006 and since the time I moved here, I have been slugging. Now again, if you dont want to believe that either, it is up to you. But I have not been aware that you cant take the 4th rider for whatever reasons. Good to know it today. Also, as a driver, I always took the 4th rider just thinking that I have an extra space and someone will get a ride. Thats all.

@AngloAustrian: Lastly, for your own safety, getting into a fight with the driver, who appears to be unreasonable (to you) is not the safest course of action.

Me: Okay, Let me clarify - when I stepped into the car, everthing was normal. You cant judge a person by the way he or she looks and she appeared to be quite normal. Like I said, read my post again, it was a preety clean car. They were about late 30's and 40's. At that age, every woman normally that I have encountered in my last 3- 4 years of slugging seemed quite sane and understanding of others. She did not in any way appear un-reasonable.

@AngloAustrian: The driver appears to have been driving safely, as you make no mention of speeding, tailgating etc. You say you are "polite," but then you "cursed" the driver and threatened to call the police! In the end, you just succeeded in blowing the whole situation up,
whereas if you had been quiet, stuck something in your ears, got through the ride and got out, you would have had an easier time.

Me: I agree with you here. Yes, the driver did not tailgate or speed. But what do you do if are just scared for something going seriously wrong with your body. Trust me its more easier to advice when you are sane than when you are in a situation like that. You mind is not a state of thinking. Sticking something into my ears was not helping - Remember i shut up until we reached Shirlington and when it was just unbearable, I spoke up. Please read my post again. And plus, instead of helping me, if someone tells you that she is going to take you for a ride across the town, in that case anyone in my place would have called the police. My cell phone battery had died and she was literally making fun of me for the remaining time. That when i cursed her. May be you are too calmer person to handle this situation so easily. At 24 weeks, the fetus is absolutely capable of hearing any noises inside and outside the womb. At 8'0 clock in the morning, if someone hears that loud a music, even adults get startled. Trust me, the baby was moving so much which was very unusual in that time of the morning because every expectant mother knows the patterns of the baby movements and I could feel my muscles soaring up, I am not making this up. But again, am not here to convince you.

@AngloAustrian: You need to think carefully how you handle the next "nightmare" that you encounter because your safety is at risk. You ask how I would handle it? Just like that, put something in my ears, shut up, and get there in one piece and, oh, a heart attack is something completely different to a loud radio.

Me: Good for you. Like I said, its much harder than just saying. Its much more easier to advice when you are not in someones shoes. On a normal day, yes, I can take your approach. But being 6 months pregnant - I expected a woman to understand a woman which apparantly I was completely wrong with assuming. Also, may be things are not associated with loud music like you said, but just the fact, that someone is not feeling right should be a thought of any human to consider.

@AngloAustrian: And if a loud radio or lack of A/C would affect you so badly and cause "labor pains" at 24 weeks which would cause you to "throw up" in someone's car, then you need to seriously reconsider how you get to work in the morning and possibly see your doctor.

Me: Yes I did contact my doctor and here is what I was told: There are many things that can cause harmonal or many other changes during pregnancy. Labor pains are not in my control or for that matter anyones. A lot of things happen during pregnancy and not even doctors have a reasonable explaination for that. If you would like to speak to my doctor, I can provide you with her contact details since you seem to be an expert in the medical field.

@AngloAustrian: Also, your ride took place in the morning, presumably early like at 6 or 7. Although muggy and not great, it's not THAT hot in the mornings (in fact, I looked it up - the temp in the morning on August 2 was about 68-70 degrees at that time) that you should be throwing up because the A/C is not on, even with the windows closed.

Me: Well, I think your heat bearing capacity seems to be quite good as well. Seems like you are indeed a "Super Human". Also, let me tell you that the temperature for sure was not in 60's or 70's. In fact the average temperature for July-August of 2010 has been between 90 - 100 deg F. [Please contradict if with a proof]. Now again, I dont have exact number neither do you, unless you are in a meteorology department. Coming to the conclusion,I said this several times,and say it again, you can infer what ever you want to from this.

@AngloAustrian: So, as Trapps says, there is always another side to the story.
Me: Sure, Like I said, I am not here to change your opinions or convince you for anything. I am just here to say what I felt:).
The slugging rules say, that you are "Slugging at your own risk". In reality even if you are slugging at your own risk and even if the car is someone elses, it doesnot give a right to the driver to kidnap or murder a fellow passenger. That is still an offence under law. Like they say, a wise person does not need to taste poison to know it is a poison. But you seem to Super wise and a super human, it is completely your choice.

Good luck!!!
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deepali_anuje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 6:39pm
Just heard on WTOP on the way back home that it was the coolest weather today since May of 23rd for the first time during the day. And the average temperature for the day today is 73 degrees :). Just an FYI...
Pentagon1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pentagon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 8:15pm
Once you were safe and had access to a phone, why didn't you call the police? I'm no lawyer but I believe holding someone against their will is a crime.

I usually drive these days, mainly because I got tired of rude drivers. But if I was a slug in your situation, and the driver wouldn't let me out, I'm pretty sure I could come up with a few ways to motivate him/her to get me out of their car.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deepali_anuje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 11:05pm
Pentagon1,

I dont have the number plate of the car. I am still on a lookout for those two ladies. I have been driving these days mostly because of what happened and if I am slugging, I am only taking a ride with people I know. I dont have any proof to call the police. The two ladies did not pick up anyone else besides me. The gentleman who gave me a ride from 14th and D where the two ladies dropped me, perhaps came from Springfield area I assume, because he asked me if I took a ride from Springfield. He had two passengers with him when I knocked his window to give me a ride. But I just dont know who he was or never ever seen him before. He took me out of his way and dropped me to 14 and K. Again, even if I call the police now or even then, wouldnt they ask me for more information than what I have?
Besides the faces of those two ladies, I only remember that it was a BMW car. I will not be able to tell you what model but it was a 4 door sedan and seemed fairly new and well maintained. I vaguely remember that the car was a blue color but I am not completely sure about that either. She did not even let me get out of the car completely at 14th and D, before which is took off. By the time i got back in senses, she was no where seen. I am ready to go to the police even now, but what do I say without any proof?
AngloAustrian View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngloAustrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 10:17am
Example of how temperature works during the day. It is not at maximum temperature at 7:00 or 8:00 a.m. You have to move the graph around to see the temps, and remember this is for today - but there are forecasts showing days at equal temps coming up. So, you can look around to get the "proof" you need. Obviously, not 90s and 100s, like you claim, at 7:00 or 8:00 in the morning.

http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/washington-dc/hourly

I don't have the time or energy to respond to the rest of your post and some of it is just plainly weird (you want me to talk to your doctor?!!)

Stay safe.
Elemental View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elemental Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 8:56am
I agree that this was a horrible situation and no driver should threaten to not let you out of the car, but there are certainly parts of this situation that you could have handled better to avoid the escalation. Your body may be more sensitive to sound & heat because of the pregnancy, but that is your responsibility to be aware of this and "slug at your own risk". It is not the driver's responsibility to accommodate your pregnancy. Perhaps if the pregnancy is causing you to be this sensitive, then slugging is not a good option for now.

You are incredibly lucky that the man in the next car picked you up and gave you a ride, but why would you even knock on the window of a stranger's car in traffic and ask him to give you a ride? I understand you are upset, but if you are already so scared, it seems even scarier to get into the car with a complete stranger in traffic. You are very lucky that not only did he give you a ride, but he wasn't a crazy person or a kidnapper. At least when you get into a stranger's car at a slug line, there is a mutual understanding of where you are going.
Corbett View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corbett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2010 at 10:50pm
OMG. Yes, someone hinted at the crime. Once you have told her you wanted to get out of the car, she should have let you out. If she didn't, you were ABDUCTED which is a felony!! If a man & woman hit it off in a bar & go somewhere for sex, if she (even during sex) says no he better stop. After that, it is rape!

You were abducted and should report it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic