Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worst ride.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 9:24am
quote:
Originally posted by trapps

Pele: you don't have to use the (N) word as you put it to seem like you are being raciest. Yes police use race when they are searching for suspected criminal. Key word suspected. They are the law and have some kind of justification for putting out that information. Not what seems to be a one sided story. I just think we should not encourage people to start profiling each other for what seem like a bad ride. I have not seen anyone else on here say 2 black ladies also gave them a bad ride and treated them bad. I think it was isolated and a personality clash. Lets just leave it at that :)

750LI

Okay, let's get crime out of the picture... Let's say you're looking for someone in a crowd. How do you describe them?

Maybe she should have left out the gender of the people. Maybe she's inferring that all women have bad attitudes. Maybe slugs should start profiling people by gender.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
Checkers View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Checkers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 10:30pm
White, Black, Red (Native American), Yellow (jaundice), Pink (sunburned), Brown (White - tan? Black - tan? Red - tan? Yellow -- good to get some sun; Pink -- get out of the sun) --

We're all a mix of all of the above, and related, to boot. According to the record, we are all descended from two who blew it.

Gives one pause, don't it?
AngloAustrian View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngloAustrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 8:52am
Oh my goodness, so much arguing about how to describe someone. The fact is, we do need to describe dangerous drivers somehow. The police handle it by using race (Cauc, African American, Hispanic etc), skin color (light, dark, etc), age, height, weight, hair color and style, any other distinguishing features. To stop short at “African American” and their approximate ages is not enough information for anybody to get an idea of what the “ladies” really looked like and was, in this particular lament, pointless other than to foster stereotypical preconceptions. I think we should all agree that if we are going to describe a dangerous driver and, after all, the whole point of posting unpleasant experiences on this web site is to help other sluggers avoid danger, then a description is necessary unless one is absolutely sure that the driver always uses the same car (in the case of dangerous driver) and an accurate description of the car is given. Of course, if a passenger is dangerous, how else to describe him/her? By their briefcase? That might work if it’s really different (neon pink?) and you are sure they always carry it!
However, just as a Caucasian driver would be described as being olive skinned, or fair, or tanned, or sunburned; tall, short, fat, thin; blonde, red haired, brown haired, bearded, bald; large nose, hook hand, tattoos, golden/missing teeth; eyepatch, etc., then all people should be described in the same detail. But just to describe someone by their race alone with maybe one other qualifier (age, in this case) is not sufficient and not at all useful to the community. After all, how many “African American ladies in their 30s or 40s” do we know? And how does this description help us? It would be akin to describing me as a “Caucasian woman in her 40s.” Wow, that’s really helpful if you want to pick me out in a crowd.
trapps View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trapps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 12:54pm
Anglo you are 100% correct. All that does is cause sluggs/riders to racial profile. If you must put it out there a car decription and plates should be used. That e-mail it casting a dark cloud over what has been a very succesful system of getting people to and from work no matter what your race is. Suck it up and move on. If you feel like you don't feel comtable anymore getting in cars with certain races then that your call but please don't share that. You are spreading hate.

750LI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic